Espresso machine/grinder upgraditis

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
Dom_P

#1: Post by Dom_P » Jan 12, 2020, 8:32 pm

I currently own a La Spaziale Dream and Mazzer Mini E (with SJ burrs) that I've had for about 6 years.

I'm thinking about upgrading the Spaz to a La Marzocco GS/3 MP and am looking for some advice on a grinder to pair with it.

I'm not too interested in single dosing so perfectly zero retention is not a major concern.

I've read a bit about Ceado E37S and the Eureka Atom 75. Are either all that much better than the Mazzer mini? Or maybe the Mazzer with red speed burrs?

Is there anything else out there I should be looking at? Or anything on the horizon I should be waiting for?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

blondica73
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by blondica73 » replying to Dom_P » Jan 12, 2020, 8:56 pm

I upgraded from La Spaziale and Mazzer Mini to a La Marzocco Linea Mini and an Eureka Olympus 75e. I also bought a Niche Zero and I'm currently in queue to get the Monolith Max in a few months. Before getting the Olympus I upgraded my Mazzer Mini to SSP burrs but the motor would stall sometimes. I also had updated the Mini Vivaldi to do pressure profiling. I still kept the Mini Vivaldi but I don't use it much, only when I get the itch to play with pressure profiling. I use the LMLM 95% of the time.

Dom_P

#3: Post by Dom_P » Jan 12, 2020, 9:18 pm

Thanks.

I forgot to mention that I have a restriction on height. I don't think I have the clearance under the kitchen cabinets for something the height of an Olympus.

I may have been lucky but I never had an issue with stalling after installing the SJ burrs (not sure if the SSP will stall).

Did you find the niche or the Eureka to be a step up in grind performance?

jpsm

#4: Post by jpsm » Jan 12, 2020, 10:33 pm

The eureka atom 75 is better imo vs the olympus. I own the olympus and while it is fast and built like a tank, I feel it's just too loud. I mainly use my e65s right now and difference is night and day in grind quality(esp lighter roasted coffee) and noise. Ill be using both grinders in the next couple of months for my shop but I still have to test the olympus out if it will be making that much noise because if it will, I will just be using it for caterings/popups. I think the only problem with the atom is that it's design feels like it was made for home use because of the plastic but aside from that, I think it is a great grinder. Using medium roasted beans the Olympus performed great btw! :)

BaristaBoy E61

#5: Post by BaristaBoy E61 » Jan 13, 2020, 12:41 am

Dom_P wrote: I'm thinking about upgrading the Spaz to a La Marzocco GS/3 MP and am looking for some advice on a grinder to pair with it.

I'm not too interested in single dosing so perfectly zero retention is not a major concern.

Is there anything else out there I should be looking at?
I forgot to mention that I have a restriction on height.
I would suggest looking at a Mahlkonig E65S with the short hopper, if that might 'fit'.

YMMV
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by baristainzmking » Jan 13, 2020, 12:56 am

If you are not interested in single dosing, I would get a Ceado E37S. It is an awesome grinder. It's built like a tank, very quiet, easy to adjust the grind size, the grinds are perfect and fluffy and easy to clean. I had it, but upgraded to Monolith Max, as I exclusively single dose.
Julia

blondica73
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by blondica73 » Jan 13, 2020, 1:23 am

Dom_P wrote:Thanks.

Did you find the niche or the Eureka to be a step up in grind performance?
For single dosing, the NZ beats the Mazzer Mini and the Olympus. The Olympus is extremely fast, 18 g in less than 3s. I can tell the difference between the two, correction, my wife could discern the difference. I roast fairly light and using the Olympus appears to give me a more consistent water flow through the coffee puck and brighter notes. Noise wise, the Olympus is noisier, but quieter than the Mazzer Mini.

Dom_P

#8: Post by Dom_P » replying to blondica73 » Jan 13, 2020, 8:51 am

Given the amount of time it seems for these all to grind a dose, and as I'm using the mini with SJ burrs in it,I'm not sure that sound is all that big a concern. Of course all things being equal I'd prefer it to be as quiet as possible.

Looks like I'm adding the E65s to the research list :)

I'm just not sure how much of a discernible difference in the cup the atom 75, ceado, or e65s would be

blondica73
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by blondica73 » replying to Dom_P » Jan 13, 2020, 10:25 am

If I didn't have the Olympus I would grab the e65s with the short hopper.

Dom_P

#10: Post by Dom_P » replying to blondica73 » Jan 13, 2020, 5:38 pm

I'm starting to think that may be the plan if it fits under the cabinet.

Anyone else have an opinion before I go with the E65s? :)