Espresso machine/grinder on econo budget

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
peterk
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by peterk »

Hello, I am new to this forum. I'm sick of the espresso coming out of my Nespresso machine. I have the following:

Oxo coffee machine, Baratza virtuoso grinder, old Cuisinart pump espresso machine and a chemex. The Cuisinart isn't that bad but I would imagine an upgrade would be a lot better.

I would like to upgrade something. I would like to start incrementally (understanding that restraint can be difficult). I do love the idea of a lever espresso machine and have been looking at the Flair and Cafelat units. Realizing that switching between coarser grinds for drip and finer for espressso with the virtuoso grinder is a pain, what would be a first step to increase the quality of my espresso? I'm not looking to spend a ton of money. For instance, I've been looking at the hand grinders like the 1zepresso J-max and others. Would a logical first step be to get one of those hand grinders then move onto a Flair type machine? I'm not sure I can justify $500+ for the Flair 58 but I don't want to be frustrated if I get one of the entry level Flair units and become disappointed.

From my perspective I like the human interaction of the lever machines but I'm not against just getting a used Rancilio or Gaggia classic. My daughter is the only one here that steams anything and we have a nespresso gadget for that.

I realize that many of you are into the higher priced equipment but this seems to be such a great place for information and you all seem so down to earth so I figured someone would have a perspective.

Thanks for any input!

Plinyyounger
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Plinyyounger »

I know the feeling as do a lot on the forum. I think you are on the right track for good espresso, a nice hand grinder and a flair will make excellent coffee. Take your time and learn with that unit then you can buy something different later if you'd like, but you won't have to because you will be making some great stuff.
Family, coffee and fun.

Smitward

#3: Post by Smitward »

My Cafelat Robot makes an amazing shot, I'm sure it's the same for the standard flair. It makes great classic espresso but it just takes more work if you want to go light.

Within a few weeks of practice I felt like I could pull has good of a shot as my local cafés and after a few months it was routinely better than I could get at the cafes. However, within a few days you'll be making better coffee than your Nespresso.

I plan on getting a hand grinder and taking the robot to my work office within the next few weeks.

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

Welcome to H-B and congratulations on deciding that there had to be an affordable way to get something more enjoyable than Nespresso at home.

I've got a Robot in addition to my fancy machine. The Robot makes a very enjoyable shot very reliably with good quality coffee and a suitable grinder. it is different than my fancy machine, and it is different from my 1950s lever machine, but all are very good. Sort of like two bottles of good wine, beer, tea, or whatever you beverage choice might be. All good, just subtly different.

I don't find using a kettle to be a challenge with the Robot. I don't obsess over temperature control with it. I haven't used a Flair 58, so I can't comment on if that is "easier" or not.

I also bought a 1Zpresso J-Max a while ago as I considered it the least expensive, espresso-suitable grinder on the market at the time. I find it to produce good espresso and to be easy enough to adjust to let me "dial in" a bean.

With either the Robot and probably the Flair 58, along with something like a 1Zpresso J-Max (I think they've added or changed models since), you'll have a setup that is capable of letting you enjoy quality espresso at home. Like Smitward, if I'm ever "back in the office" enough for it to make sense, I'll probably take a hand grinder and small lever with me.

palica

#5: Post by palica »

I really think a hand grinder is an excellent step: it gives incredible results and if you upgrade to a high quality electric grinder in the future, the hand grinder will always be useful for tests, decaf etc... With brands like 1Zpresso or Kingsgrinder, you can find a very decent one for a reasonnable price and you may keep it for ever. So definitely a bright and logic step.
The manual lever such as Rok, Cafelat or Flair is also an excellent step and will complete the hand grinder admirably.

cafeIKE

#6: Post by cafeIKE »

Whatever you do, keep the Virtuoso for drip.

Other than the coffee, the grinder is BY FAR the most important.

If you feel like you want hand grind, go for it. It gets old quick. Other than a PeDe we had at home as a kid, I first tried it in my 40's. I could bench 200, squat 350 and rode 400 miles a week. By the end of the weekend, I was sick of it.

If that scares you off, hunt around for a top quality espresso capable grinder. I sold two this winter for ≈$300. If cash is tight, brown bag it for three months and you can buy a top flight grinder.