Espresso machine + grinder for light roasts - $4000 budget

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
natew

#1: Post by natew »

Hey all!

I mainly drink very light roasts for both drip and espresso. I was curious what an ideal setup would be for this niche.

I currently drink espresso 50% of the time and oatmilk cortados 50% of the time, so being able to steam is ideal. Being able to do low pressure pre-infusion would be awesome (not sure if possible in this price range). Pressure profiling might be nice? I'm not sure how useful that is in practice with this price range.

What would be a good machine/grinder for this use case?

Thanks,

Nate

P.S. I've had a Silvia + PID in the past and found that to be a PITA to deal with.

luvmy40

#2: Post by luvmy40 »

Breville Dual Boiler, slayer mod.
Lever Craft Ultra
Or
Niche Zero
Or
DF64

The Lever Craft may put you over your budget, I haven't really paid attention to the pricing on any of the super high end, beautique grinders. The Niche or DF64 will keep you well below your price line.

Keep your eyes open for used high end grinders. Not a lot of savings but available at times.

Baratza: skilled in the art of grinding
Sponsored by Baratza
natew (original poster)

#3: Post by natew (original poster) »

What about the DE1PRO? I know thats really pushing up against my budget.

The BDB Slayer mod looks really good. I will read more on that.

Thanks!

luvmy40

#4: Post by luvmy40 »

Well, if I ever "upgrade" from my BDB, it will most likely be to the DE1. I've never played with one yet.

natew (original poster)

#5: Post by natew (original poster) »

After seeing the slayer mod for BDB, I'm more excited about that, especially since it is 1/3 the cost of the DE1.

How is the steaming on the BDB? Serviceable? What grinder are you using with it? I looked at the ones you mentioned and all look very interesting, but curious which you preferred.

luvmy40

#6: Post by luvmy40 »

The steam is first rate. Super dry and you will never run it cold. It's not as high pressure as some machines. You're not going to steam 10 oz. of milk in 10 seconds, but it's far from slow.

I use my Niche Zero mostly. I just got the DF64 and have not really put any time in with it yet. I've probably made 6 shots with the DF64 and most of them were dialing in a light roast ethiopian. I could not pick a favorite at this point. Both work well and I get excellent results with the BDB.

BTW, you might get lucky with the BDB(like I did) and be able to flow profile without any modifications. It's luck of the draw. I get a huge amount of control with the water valve before the microswitch shuts off flow to the group. I just catch the bypassed water and dunp it back in the reservoir. Some machines don't have as much valve travel before disengaging the group.

jevenator

#7: Post by jevenator »

luvmy40 wrote:The steam is first rate. Super dry and you will never run it cold. It's not as high pressure as some machines. You're not going to steam 10 oz. of milk in 10 seconds, but it's far from slow.

I use my Niche Zero mostly. I just got the DF64 and have not really put any time in with it yet. I've probably made 6 shots with the DF64 and most of them were dialing in a light roast ethopian. I could not pick a favorite at this point. Both work well and I get excellent results with the BDB.

BTW, you might get luck with the BDB(like I did) and be able to flow profile without any modifications. It's luck of the draw. I get a huge amount of control with the water valve before the microswitch shuts off flow to the group. I just catch the bypassed water and dunp it back in the reservoir. Some machines don't have as much valve travel before disengaging the group.
The BDB is a great machine. Steaming is still "wet" compared to the DE1 though. Either way, 8oz milk drink will take around 40-45 seconds to steam on either machine.

Much faster warmup time on the DE1. Both are capable of great espresso with flow profiling control on the BDB. If you don't want a pump machine consider the Odyssey Espresso lever machine coming out fairly soon.

For a grinder you have the Lagom P64/P100. Ultra, Monoliths with Shuriken burrs (I'd go with Flat, not MAX), DF64. I prefer flat grinders over any conical. I've owned a Niche twice and an MC4 and still prefer a flat.

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
Jeff
Team HB

#8: Post by Jeff »

With all the fuss around steaming, it's easy to get lost in that if the espresso isn't great, the cap or latte isn't going to be either. For me, as long as the steaming is adequate, I'll take great espresso from the machine. Shoot, with great espresso, even a $15-class, battery-powered frother can make a killer cap, even if not picture-perfect art.

Ad-85

#9: Post by Ad-85 »

Odyssey Espresso is about to launch probably for 800$. For a grinder niche zero until you get your hands on a monolith flat 75mm and have both worlds.
LMWDB #691
hazelnhershey com sold me a faulty machine

natew (original poster)

#10: Post by natew (original poster) »

I looked at the BDB and got scared away by the horror stories of it being repaired 4 times in the first 6 months.

I ordered a DE1PRO, which is what I've wanted for a long while now but just never could bring myself to buying. I am pairing it with a DF64 to start and then intend to upgrade to a Monolith in the much longer term.

Thanks all for the help! :)