Espresso machine/grinder choice for kiosk, $6000 budget

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
Nada j5

Postby Nada j5 » Aug 12, 2017, 7:53 am

Hello,
I've been doing alot of research for the last 3 months and the more I read the more i get confused so i thought I should just ask :)
I'm opening a coffee kiosk and for the equipment I have a budget of 5000$ for espresso machine and 1000$ for the grinder.
Looking at the area I'm expecting 150-200 cups during the whole day. In peak hours, it would maximum be 50 cups in one hour.
So what machine you'd recommend for the grinder and espresso ? Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you

MB

Postby MB » Aug 12, 2017, 10:05 am

Any certifications or limitations we need to know about in the UAE?
LMWDP #472

home of the Black Cat project
Sponsored by Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea - home of the Black Cat project
Nada j5

Postby Nada j5 » Aug 12, 2017, 10:21 am

MB wrote:Any certifications or limitations we need to know about in the UAE?

Nothing really
So any help would be appreciated
Thank you

sprin001

Postby sprin001 » Aug 12, 2017, 11:20 am

Probably not what you're looking for, but are you capable of making 50 drinks in an hour? You might not need a machine capable of that if 30 is your max...

Peppersass

Postby Peppersass » Aug 12, 2017, 3:58 pm

I'm no expert on commercial use, but I think your budget may be a little low for what you're hoping to do, depending on the type of drinks, throughput and level of quality you desire. I think it's likely you'll need to spend a lot more.

I would expect you'll be serving a high percentage of milk drinks, and if you expect to do that at high volume you'll need a rugged double-boiler machine. That's going to run at least $5,000-$10,000 for a single-group double boiler machine. And a single group may not give you the throughput you need. If you need a two-group machine, the price will go up substantially.

Will the kiosk allow you to connect the machine to plumbing? If not, you'll need a machine that can use a reservoir. Also, you'll need to bring a large water container to refill the reservoir and a large empty container to dump the drain box when it gets full. Note that the LM GS/3 machine is one of the few (if not the only machine) that's got a double boiler, is rugged enough for heavy commercial use and can run off a reservoir. You'll have to spend about $7,000 plus shipping for a new one, though you might be able to bargain a package deal with a grinder.

The cost of the grinder depends on the quality you desire. If you're serving mostly milk drinks, you can get a very rugged commercial grinder for $600 or so, plus shipping. But the grind quality and consistency likely won't satisfy straight espresso customers. For that, you'll need to spend at least $1,000. If you want the very best straight espresso quality, plan on spending $1,500-$2,500.
Dick Green

MB

Postby MB » Aug 12, 2017, 7:28 pm

Londinium II (perhaps with the higher wattage option for higher throughput) is over your budget, but not double. Reliable, low maintenance costs, excellent espresso.
LMWDP #472

chipman

Postby chipman » Aug 12, 2017, 7:32 pm

50 drinks an hour out of a single group? I don't think so.

customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home - customized for espresso aficionados
Almico

Postby Almico » Aug 12, 2017, 8:05 pm

Astoria Rapallo or Gloria 2gr levers. Capable of running on propane if necessary.

Sprin001's comment is very apropos. 50 drinks an hour is 1 every little over a minute. That's a very brisk pace and won't leave you time to take the money! You'll need a 2nd person.

Ellejaycafe

Postby Ellejaycafe » Aug 12, 2017, 9:09 pm

If your budget is that low I would look at used equipment and spend more than $1000 on a grinder. I don't know of any decent grinder under $1000 that will be reliable enough for a business.

I bought a 3 group NS Aurelia for $3000 and a k30. That's under your budget. I bet you could find the same machine on eBay right now around the same price. I am very handy and descaled the machine and maintenanced it when I got it. It's a 2008 model and runs like brand new (of course there's no PID or bells and whistles, but honestly if your running a kiosk you need none of that).

A 3 group is a little overkill, but the price was right and it really helps with the amount of milk drinks we do. Feel free to PM me if you need some advice. I've run a very successful kiosk in an office building for 3 years now, with just myself and my wife as the only employees.

As others have stated you need to provide more info for good advice. What kind of set up? Plumbing available? 220v available? What's your clientele? Do you have a solid business plan? I know opening up a coffee kiosk sounds awesome and easy, it's not.

There's NO WAY you can do 50 drinks an hour by yourself.
LMWDP #544

Advertisement