Espresso Machine for a Street Cart

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
CarlosMedina

#1: Post by CarlosMedina »

Hi guys,
I'm planning to start a street Coffee Cart and I'm asking for your advise for an Espresso Machine.
I'm planning to use a Solar Panel for energy (what about Butane) and I have no water supply.
So what do you advise me guys ?

tracer bullet

#2: Post by tracer bullet »

Well, 1st time poster Carlos Medina from France, I'd think if you were about to start a coffee cart you'd know a little more about what you wanted to do already? Is this one of those threads where you later put in a dubious link?

In case you're serious, I'd think an HX machine, a frig for your milk, and a location you can plug in a serious extension cord.

mohninme

#3: Post by mohninme »

I think a double boiler might be best so you have hot water at hand, good steaming power and less water usage from flushing than an HX. Check out this link for the Minima compact dual boiler. Very interesting design and it looks like it would work nicely off a smaller workspace. I think this is a relatively new product so there isn't much to see for user reviews.

https://www.1st-line.com/buy/minima-dua ... o-machine/
Michael

coocooffee

#4: Post by coocooffee »

so basically, you have no electricity. then a manual espresso machine like the rok or flair is your only option. or you can do "espresso" with moka pot, aeropress, etc. and you can use propane/butane/whatever to heat up your water. there's no way you can use an actual espresso machine as those are 1000+W and no way are solar panels gonna power it.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

Unless you find a gas powered espresso machine.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

jgood

#6: Post by jgood replying to yakster »

+1 on that. Search this forum and you will find some posts on lever espresso machines with gas boilers -- that's what you need.

mohninme

#7: Post by mohninme »

Ah... I totally glossed over the lack of power. Up here in Northern Canada, if you say you are doing solar, then you have a serious battery bank accompanying that solar panel. This would wok with an inverter but the supply of power would only last so long. I can imagine a food cart with the whole bottom full of 12V deep cycle batteries. It would be really heavy. LOL
Michael

mohninme

#8: Post by mohninme »

Indeed, propane powered units are available out there. See link on You tube below. Pretty neat. You still need to grind coffee but that could be completed with a modest battery bank/solar or pre-grind that morning (but that just sounds wrong!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSdiLIWDIMA
Michael

CarlosMedina (original poster)

#9: Post by CarlosMedina (original poster) »

Thanks guys.
First I have a good motor tricycle so I have no problems with heavy stuff.
Gas powered espresso machine sounds good.

Please how does this guy operate his espresso machine ?
I also found this, what do you think about it ?

rcj

#10: Post by rcj »

Please how does this guy operate his espresso machine ?
He's all electric AFAICT. At 1:05 you can see he has an extension cord.