Espresso machine for straight shots only

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Avaloche

#1: Post by Avaloche »

Hi,everyone.After a lot of thinking I have set my eyes on the Alexia Evo.I'm a straight espresso shot drinker,so in my mind this the best in this price range.I think of combining it with Rancilio Rocky.
What do you think?Is better grinder a must or a mod on the Rocky will do the trick?
I am settled in Eastern Europe at the moment and to order from http://www.coffeeitalia.co.uk/(since this is the only site offering the machine of choice,and basically the only that I could find).
All advises are welcomed.Thank you in advance.

HH

#2: Post by HH »

Hi Ivan,
I've used the Rocky a fair bit as one of my friends has one. It's okay but a bit of a pain to use and adjust. If you're open to hand grinding I'd suggest getting something like a Kinu m47 which based on reviews here is likely to give you better grind quality, but may not be for you if you're not up for hand grinding things

slipchuck

#3: Post by slipchuck »

Avaloche wrote:Hi,everyone.After a lot of thinking I have set my eyes on the Alexia Evo.I'm a straight espresso shot drinker,so in my mind this the best in this price range.I think of combining it with Rancilio Rocky.
What do you think?Is better grinder a must or a mod on the Rocky will do the trick?
I am settled in Eastern Europe at the moment and to order from http://www.coffeeitalia.co.uk/(since this is the only site offering the machine of choice,and basically the only that I could find).
All advises are welcomed.Thank you in advance.
What is your budget? If you are only using the espresso machine for espresso, you are much better off spending a lot more on the grinder and get a single boiler like the Rancilio Silvia

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

Nick Name

#4: Post by Nick Name »

You might want to google for some user experiences about Coffeeitalia before placing an order. Frankly, I don't know the current situation but a couple of years back they had a somewhat bad reputation.

I also think elektros.it might have a better price for the Alexia. They also sell the Nueva Simonelli Oscar II for a very decent price.

I'd skip the Rocky and (if you're looking for a budget choice) go for the Bezzera BB005 instead. Or (if not looking for a bargain) Eureka Zenith 65E. Or if you can stretch it Eureka Olympus with (Mythos) titan burrs is the way to go. Bezzera's grinder has been discussed here at the forum. For an Olympus review check: https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/pdf/EURE ... REVIEW.pdf

I'm not so sure whether Zenith produces a better grind than the BB005 (obviously it should taste a little different due conical vs flat burrs difference), but the ease of use of Zenith 65E is praised by a lot of people who have it.

BTW, I have absolutely nothing to do with Elektros. It's just known to be a reliable company with customer friendly pricing.

Avaloche (original poster)

#5: Post by Avaloche (original poster) »

The budget is around 2700 euro.I've been also thinking about B Strega,but it's hard to find it at a good price.
Any more suggestions for online shops?

slipchuck

#6: Post by slipchuck »

Nick Name wrote:You might want to google for some user experiences about Coffeeitalia before placing an order. Frankly, I don't know the current situation but a couple of years back they had a somewhat bad reputation.

I also think elektros.it might have a better price for the Alexia. They also sell the Nueva Simonelli Oscar II for a very decent price.

I'd skip the Rocky and (if you're looking for a budget choice) go for the Bezzera BB005 instead. Or (if not looking for a bargain) Eureka Zenith 65E. Or if you can stretch it Eureka Olympus with (Mythos) titan burrs is the way to go. Bezzera's grinder has been discussed here at the forum. For an Olympus review check: https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/pdf/EURE ... REVIEW.pdf

I'm not so sure whether Zenith produces a better grind than the BB005 (obviously it should taste a little different due conical vs flat burrs difference), but the ease of use of Zenith 65E is praised by a lot of people who have it.

BTW, I have absolutely nothing to do with Elektros. It's just known to be a reliable company with customer friendly pricing.
I have the Bezzera BB005 and love it
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

RyanJE

#7: Post by RyanJE »

You will not be disappointed by the Alexia. Looking back the only thing I may have done different would be getting the Carola instead.

I got a group thermometer and I speculate the carola would be every bit good as the Alexia with it..

As note on mine tho, factory offsets were very wrong...just FYI.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

Avaloche (original poster)

#8: Post by Avaloche (original poster) »

RyanJE,could you elaborate further on that?
Is the Carola that much better?

RyanJE

#9: Post by RyanJE replying to Avaloche »

The Carola is a smaller version of the Alexia without a steam wand. It has a PId but with dip switches rather than electronic.

It's less expensive. I was saying what I said because I have never once used my steam. And the Carola is smaller.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

Headala

#10: Post by Headala »

Spend all your money on a fantastic grinder and get a Silvia with meCoffee PID.