Espresso machine for light commercial usage

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Séb

#1: Post by Séb »

Hello everyone,

My friend want to buy an espresso machine for his own use in his house during the winter months but he will move it to his business for the summer months. That mean the machine will be use for about 50-75 drinks per week during the summer. Maximum on the best week could get up to 100 drinks in the week. It will be few drinks per day with a peak of maybe 10/hr. About 3 employee will be trained to use it correctly but he do want a machine that is very easy to use for them. A lot of drinks served will be milk based. So a good steamer is important. So far, here is two recommendations i give to him but i'd like to get more ideas. 120/220V available and 15/20A. We can plumb it in and out but for his house during the winter he ideally want a water reservoir so if plumb in, it should be an option.

La Spaziale mini Vivaldi II. I like the volumetric dosing, the powerful steam, he likes the look of the red panels model that will fit nicely his decoration. 53mm basket is not a problem.

Expobar Brewtus IV-R. Like the rotary pump, solid machine, powerful steam but don't like the manual brew level as the brew ratio will certainly change all the time with the various employee! Could add a timer but this is something more to watch for them while steaming.

The grinder will be something along the line of a Baratza Forte AP. The coffee used will be the same espresso blend for all the season.

Budget is limited, the Brewtus is at the top of his budget already. Any other options?

JonF

#2: Post by JonF »

If you are a little flexible on the pluming decision, I think the Vivaldi 2 would be great in an office setting. I think you would like the volumetric dosing a lot when you have several people using it. In an office setting, a tank with the mini Vivaldi would be a pain (coming from an office setting where we do have a tank coffee machine). After being plumbed in at home, it would be hard to go back to a tank. I have not had an e61, but it looks like the group maintenance on the Vivaldi (which I do have) might be a little simpler. Built in timer option, with settings for days of the week, also sounds attractive for an office setting.

erics
Supporter ★

#3: Post by erics »

. . . but he will move it to his business for the summer months.
Then the machine and the installation will likely need to be certified by the local authorities. To the best of my knowledge, a machine used as such in the US would need NSF certification and I'm fairly certain the Canadians have a similar organization.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by JohnB. »

According to Dan's H-B review the Vivaldi 2 "has now achieved ETL Sanitation and Electrical Certification for both the US and Canada".
LMWDP 267