Espresso machine at $1300 budget

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
lmkc1441

#1: Post by lmkc1441 »

Hello all,

I have done some research on espresso machine and was pulling a trigger on Mara X (~$1300) as my first espresso machine. Major reasons behind this choice is size and capability at a relatively affordable price point. Coming from drinking light roasted filter coffee, I find myself leaning towards lightly roasted beans instead of the darkly roasted counterparts. So I would be trying out SOEs pretty often when I own my espresso machine. I wonder if Mara x is capable of extracting lightly roasted SOEs since its highest temperature settings would be at around 92C only. I also wonder if a flow control kit is useful on mara x for pressure profiling, since I also come across the fact that mara x has a slow flow by default and the range of adjustment is pretty limited. I have also looked at ECM PURISTIKA but then I would have to find alternatives to froth milk for occasional milk drinks (about 1 per day).

I have been using kinu M47 for my filter coffee and might not be considering changing to an electrical grinder in a year or so. (I guess the grind quality by kinu is still competitive with electrical grinders at similar or slightly higher price points?) My budget is around $1300-$1500ish right now. Should I just go with Mara X or if there is better alternatives out there that would fit my needs? Thanks!

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

In that price range, I would recommend either the Mara X or a single boiler E61 with a flow control kit. Here's why. Really light roasts require grinds that are nearly Turkish fine and very long preinfusions. Almost any HX machine will overheat during during sucj a long shot. The Mara X will drop steam pressure as the loop temperature rises, and so stay in bounds. A single boiler E61 will as well.

Another way to go, if you are handy or have an excellent friend who is, is to buy one of the low priced double boilers (BDB, Lelit Anna, etc) and add your own needle valve at the pump itself. There are lots of threads here on HB about this, the premier one being Jake's.
Jim Schulman

lmkc1441 (original poster)

#3: Post by lmkc1441 (original poster) »

Thanks for the recommendation! However I'm not familiar with messing around the parts inside the machine and probably wont be confident enough to do it anytime soon. In that case I think I'll opt for the Mara x. Thanks!

dilin

#4: Post by dilin »

I just received a Mara X, and no regrets so far. Literally walk up and pull, no flushing etc.

#5: Post by lmkc1441 (original poster) »

Good to hear that. Did you install a flow control kit on it? Still thinking whether I buy it now or wait until my machine arrives.

dilin

#6: Post by dilin »

At this stage of my journey , I like to keep things as simple as possible, so I didn't install the flow control (for now!). The slow ramp-up is more than enough for me to scratch any pre-infusion itch.

#7: Post by lmkc1441 (original poster) »

Then let me wait until the machine has arrived. Thanks for sharing your experience with Mara X!