Espresso machine and grinder for ~2500 Euro budget

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
caravel

#1: Post by caravel »

Current setup: Anonymous grinder and Arrarex Caravel.

I am getting a bit tired of fiddling with vintage caravels. The inaccuracy with temperature bothers me and the resulting inconsistency of shots, so I am looking for my first pump.

Bugdet is around 2500 Euros, unless someone can convince me that increasing my budget is worth it for my needs.

I make around 4-6 drinks a day, mostly espresso with the occasional milk drink. I make coffee mostly in the mornings, so I am looking for a machine that allows quick usage. A machine that can turn itself on and start heating at a preset time would be great.

Optimally I would like a machine with a double boiler and PID temperature control. The first thing that comes to mind is the BDB. However, in Europe it is very hard to get the BES 920XL. I found the Gastroback 42636, which looks very similar to the BES 920XL (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gastroback-426 ... 007WR3OXO/), but since the Gastroback was released in 2012 and the BES 920XL in 2016 I doubt it's the same thing.

If it's possible to get the BES 920XL in Europe I would consider that option, otherwise look for something else.

Stretching the budget a bit would be the QuickMill Vetrano, Izzo Alex Duetto III, Profitec Pro 700 or Rocket R58, which have the DB and PID features I am looking for as well. It also is easier to repair and maintains its value better than the BDB. A cheaper option would be the La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II.

For a grinder I am budgeting 500 Euros for the Sette 270W and will continue using my Anonymous grinder until the Sette comes out.

What do you think about these options or what other machines in this price range would you recommend? Maybe waiting for the DE1 would make sense, before making any decision?

Faspaz

#2: Post by Faspaz »

Best espresso machine/Baratza Sette 270W combo, budget < $3000?

There are plenty of threads like this in this forum if you do a little searching.

Nick Name

#3: Post by Nick Name »

caravel wrote: If it's possible to get the BES 920XL in Europe I would consider that option, otherwise look for something else.
It is. Not under the Breville brand though. We've got them under the name Stollar. I think in UK they're sold as Sage by Heston Blumenthal etc...

caravel (original poster)

#4: Post by caravel (original poster) »

It would cost 1450 Euros to get the Sage 920ES. A bit overpriced compared with the US cost. For the same money I could get a Profitec Pro 300. Also DB with PID. Anyone know how the BDB compares to the Profitec?

The Expobar Brewtus is also in the same price range as the BDB. Would be interested to hear experience on how the three machines compare.

Nick Name

#5: Post by Nick Name »

Stollar comes cheaper. Here's the first link that I found: https://www.direct123.fi/t/82317/espres ... tin/bes920

Not that I would buy it. In that price range, I'd rather go for Brewtus, for example.

#6: Post by caravel (original poster) »

Another option that I have been looking at but just recently found available in Europe is the QuickMill QM67

Nick Name

#7: Post by Nick Name »

Well, there is a QM67 display unit available at the moment at elektros.it for about 1500€. :wink:

#8: Post by caravel (original poster) »

Another thing is my kitchen cupboards start at 50cm so that is the maximum clearance I have including cups.

#9: Post by caravel (original poster) »

I've narrowed down my choices. The QM67 was not recommended as it uses older parts according to some threads here. Spoke with a user of the Brewtus, which is in the same price range and he recommended not to buy it as his kept breaking.

Currently considering buying the Profitec Pro 300, which is only 38cm high. I hope to get more value out of the 1400 Euros than importing the BDB.

nuanced

#10: Post by nuanced »

everyone has opinions on H-B forums , but few back their opinion with real time facts .... members told you the QM67 has "old parts " very vague and what are these parts ? ; a proven and durable , compact DB E61 MACHINE , I have experienced really great espresso from one at CLIVE COFFEE ; also new machines with more hi-tech gadgets added can possibly be troubling to diagnose and repair ; often proven, simplier machines PROVIDE a better all round espresso experience / taste the machines espresso before you buy ! ;
'