Espresso Machine Advice-Budget $4K - Page 5

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jgood

#41: Post by jgood »

FWIW I have been using a timer between a standard E61 machine and the wall outlet and it's worked perfectly so I wouldn't get hung up on that feature, unless you are using a machine that will not work with one.

poison

#42: Post by poison »

Me too, for years, and I still use it on the Londinium, despite the machine having it's own timer built in.

Advertisement
meshkaffe

#43: Post by meshkaffe »

poison wrote:OP said, when levers were brought up:

Seems like you're anti-lever? Making great coffee repeatable is dead easy on a lever. It's also dead easy on a good dual boiler. Only one is simpler with less moving parts.
Seems like you're wrong? I am probably going to end up with a cremina or some such and perhaps a leva x at some point.

Who would've thought this would turn into a lever measuring contest? OP I'm sure your wife is going to love a lever, go for it :roll:

Graymatters

#44: Post by Graymatters »

meshkaffe wrote:I think you've got me confused with op and misdirected your comment.
Incorrect.
meshkaffe wrote:Those recommending levers are projecting their needs and wants towards a couple who just want to easily make good repeatable coffee in the morning, not necessarily the best at any and all costs. A point seemingly forgotten by people who have been on the forum for a long time.
Also incorrect. I take it that you're not familiar with the spring levers being recommended.
LMWDP #726

poison

#45: Post by poison »

meshkaffe wrote:Seems like you're wrong? I am probably going to end up with a cremina or some such and perhaps a leva x at some point.

Who would've thought this would turn into a lever measuring contest? OP I'm sure your wife is going to love a lever, go for it :roll:
My wife wasn't on board with the lever so much, but once she had a coffee all comments ceased. Now she proudly shows the machine off to guests, and calls it 'beautiful'.

LittleCoffee

#46: Post by LittleCoffee »

Well clearly there are some strong opinions on this topic.

I've never used a lever and can't profess to be an expert at them. I guess I struggle to understand why producing 9 bars though brute force and a spring is easier than pushing a button which does the same thing. Maybe the OP didn't state explicitly ease of use, and maybe I'm framed by my wife who is half my size and probably wouldn't muster the strength needed for a lever but the button just seems easier, at least to me. That is not an opinion I expect everyone to agree with and that's just fine.

poison

#47: Post by poison »

The physicality of pulling the lever isn't easier, obviously. But it's not hard to pull, and what is easier than most other machines is getting superior shots, due to declining pressure and flow. Pump machines are throwing all kinds of stuff at them to try to mimic lever profiles and profiling abilities. So, it's not 9 bar vs 9 bar; it's 9 bar vs declining bar.

Advertisement
mrgnomer

#48: Post by mrgnomer »

LittleCoffee wrote:Well clearly there are some strong opinions on this topic.

I've never used a lever and can't profess to be an expert at them. I guess I struggle to understand why producing 9 bars though brute force and a spring is easier than pushing a button which does the same thing. Maybe the OP didn't state explicitly ease of use, and maybe I'm framed by my wife who is half my size and probably wouldn't muster the strength needed for a lever but the button just seems easier, at least to me. That is not an opinion I expect everyone to agree with and that's just fine.
Dial in your grind and try a commercial grade lever. You might find it's not opinion that favours a lever and you might never go back.

This lady seems to do fine with a lever.

Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

meshkaffe

#49: Post by meshkaffe »

poison wrote:My wife wasn't on board with the lever so much, but once she had a coffee all comments ceased. Now she proudly shows the machine off to guests, and calls it 'beautiful'.
That's a cool story.

My wife won't have a choice but she'll probably want to learn and if she doesn't I'll just make them for her.

poison

#50: Post by poison »

In other words, the wife's opinion isn't critical. So....why did you bring it up?

Lol, new guy with an attitude, huh? Relax, my friend, this isn't this serious. Enjoy the hobby/passion/profession, and enjoy the wealth of knowledge here!