Espresso Machine Advice-Budget $4K - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
boulderingspro

#31: Post by boulderingspro »

Ok so there's 2 ways I'd go here.

1. You are probably going to want the Lelit Bianca v3 10 minute warm up time, flow control, and dual boiler. The new platform is great value for its price and well ahead of the competition right now for this. You can also tack on an electrical outlet switch or some variant that can turn it on scheduled through your phone. Hooray for internet of things! It's good if flow +PID + Plumb and you love the aesthetic of it. Can't say much for the support behind it (I believe Lelit is under breville/baratza now?) but I assume it's mostly like any E61 platform and you'll have a service person you could probably run to in a pinch.

2. Decent DE1Pro with Drain and Refill kit + a bluetooth scale (lunar/skale/etc.).--
This is going to spill a little more than your budget, but I encourage this because it is able to play with flow, but in a highly repeatable way. Your wife's workflow could be pressing a button and it will stop with a weight based scale. It's incredibly powerful if you want to try a bunch of stuff, but it's also equally good because once you find something that works well for you, you can turn your brain off and press a button. This is something I find much more valuable than steaming milk for faster drinks when I host 10 people at home--kinda hot take energy but I like knowing the shot is consistent between people and I get flow control value outside of when I would otherwise have to manually paddle with the bianca. The support is good and DIY (positive or negative), and the warranty is extendable forever.
This machine also future proofs for your "5 years criteria", I don't think the LBv3 or any other E61 platform can succeed this machine.

3. Not the Micra - No flow control If I remember right, and the grill looks gross compared to the LMLM and the GS3 ;)

Just some thoughts, but again, take your budget as is, and look holistically at your setup and all the random stuff you need for each machine to operate and go based off of the final total taxed price. Consider the price premium for the 'tangible' features that you would be receiving against each machine. good luck!

DaveC

#32: Post by DaveC »

boulderingspro wrote:1. You are probably going to want the Lelit Bianca v3 10 minute warm up time, flow control, and dual boiler. The new platform is great value for its price and well ahead of the competition right now for this. You can also tack on an electrical outlet switch or some variant that can turn it on scheduled through your phone.
It is an excellent machine and great value for money. The only thing is the warm up time, it's more like 22m before it's stable.. rather than 10. If you are only waiting 10m before pulling shots on your Bianca, then you really should be waiting longer.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#33: Post by Milligan »

Martin wrote:Remote timers are sold by machine purveyers--Ex., WLL. I get how cutting power at the wall on a machine that's drawing power can theoretically cause problem. But remotly starting power when machine is off? Please explain, but OK if you don't because it's only 50/50 that I'd understand. :?
I'd think turning on would be fine if the machine works like that. If I used a plug like that to turn on my GS3 then it wouldn't work because it goes into standby when it is initially plugged in and then I push the on button. However, the GS3 has scheduling so it doesn't matter.

As for turning off, if it is a simple device like a Moccamaster or something with a heating element with rudimentary temperature control then I'd be fine with that. I'd personally be apprehensive on "pulling the plug" so to say on circuit boards. My misgivings could be completely unfounded. Perhaps most machines where it would be a problem to use one of those have the built in scheduling to prevent people from using those devices. That seems to make sense because most advanced machines have the scheduling.

poison

#34: Post by poison »

meshkaffe wrote:I was left scratching my head at the lever recs as well.
When you know, you know. I had no experience, and little interest, until it was upgrade time; now that I accidentally stumbled into/have a lever, I won't be going back. It is better.

If you simply can't due to space, understandable. But if you can, you should consider it.

meshkaffe

#35: Post by meshkaffe replying to poison »

Nobody is saying levers aren't good, he just wants a machine that fits his criteria and that ain't it.

Just because some people like a particular thing doesn't mean it's right for others is all I'm saying.

poison

#36: Post by poison »

Perceived wants.
1. Double boiler. Want to make milk drinks in succession occasionally.
2. Plumbed and built in drain. Any suggestions on this would be welcomed. Would like this to work seamlessly, especially the drain.
3. Volumetric control. For efficient workflow on workdays and so my wife might be able to use it.
4. Easy to clean. Again, a workflow thing. Also, would prefer non-plastic parts to clean.
5. Ability to be turned on via a schedule or app.
6. Rock solid reliability.
7. Enough features so that I won't need to change it out in 5 years.
Seems like a very good fit, outside Number 1, which isn't necessary for making milk drinks in quick succession.

mrgnomer

#37: Post by mrgnomer »

There's convenience and there's performance. In my experience convenience makes it easy at the cost of performance. Performance is hands on parameter control for consistently exceptional extractions. Some machines marry the two but those machines are costly. Best cost effective performance machine, IMHO, is a commercial group lever. Better shots off my lever than my prosumer e61 HX semi automatic. My wife notices the quality improvement and she's not an espresso afficianado.

Anyone considering the best extraction capability under a certain cost limit should consider a lever. If convenience/ease of use trumps extraction quality potential then a load and shoot machine with volumetric and preset extraction parameter control is the way to go, the pinnacle of that option being a super automatic.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

Graymatters

#38: Post by Graymatters »

meshkaffe wrote:Nobody is saying levers aren't good, he just wants a machine that fits his criteria and that ain't it.
When someone says, "I want a double boiler because I want to make milk drinks in succession on occasion," what's the criteria - the double boiler or being able to make milk drinks in succession?

When someone says, "I want volumetric control for efficient workflow on workdays and so my wife might be able to use it," what's the criteria - volumetric control or workflow and ease of use?

Don't confuse features/specifications with the underlying criteria.
LMWDP #726

meshkaffe

#39: Post by meshkaffe replying to Graymatters »

I think you've got me confused with op and misdirected your comment. Those recommending levers are projecting their needs and wants towards a couple who just want to easily make good repeatable coffee in the morning, not necessarily the best at any and all costs. A point seemingly forgotten by people who have been on the forum for a long time.

poison

#40: Post by poison »

OP said, when levers were brought up:
The spring lever is an idea I did not consider. The simplicity and lack of moving parts are appealing.
Seems like you're anti-lever? Making great coffee repeatable is dead easy on a lever. It's also dead easy on a good dual boiler. Only one is simpler with less moving parts.