Espresso Machine Advice, Budget <$1500 USD

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
bigblueHI

#1: Post by bigblueHI »

Hello,

I realize this is a common price point, and I've done a fair amount of research.. so let me start with what I think I know. I'm not trying to sound like I know it all or anything; just in the interest of people not having to repeat stuff.

What I know so far:
* Making life-changing espresso is subject to many factors and will take practice.
* Making espresso better than starbucks is probably achievable pretty quickly.
* I need a decent grinder (have purchased a Fiorenzato F4E/58mm flat burr)
* I need decent/reasonably fresh coffee
* There's no universal quantifiable definition of 'perfect' espresso; preference and subjectivity abounds.

Expected usage (realistically):
* 3-4 shots/day on weekdays; more on weekends. Typically just me and my spouse; but we do entertain and I don't want a machine that overheats after 1-2 pulls. Put it's also not a cafe pulling hundreds of shots/day.
* Milk drinks (need steam).

What I'm looking for:
* Consistency (leaning me towards thermosyphon-type groups) - I don't need a machine that is a perfect robot; but I don't want making espresso to be a hassle involving lots of temperature surfing.
* Good ergonomics; at any price-point there will be a few design/build quirks - but I can be particular (snobby?) about things that 'feel cheap'.
* Considering a spring lever; but not stuck on the issue; and unsure how much of that is romanticizing it vice reality of it.
* Simplicity of design trumps frills/nonsense
* Reasonable quality (something that can last 5-10yrs)

Bottom Line - I want something well-built at a reasonable price, that with some modest learning curve can churn a good cup of espresso pretty consistently. What is good espresso to me? Well frankly I like it all.. I like fruity espressos, creamy espressos, dark rich brews.. even ones that are a tad sour. I'm pretty forgiving - what I'd really like is something that gives me some level of control in a relatively intuitive way - what tends to frustrate me are things where it's not so clear what is going on - and makes it hard for me to correct various issues.

I don't need perfection everytime - if on a foggy weekday it can easily churn out something drinkable; but then it needs a bit more babysitting to express itself on a weekend brunch that's okay.

I've been looking at the PV Lusso; which I understand has some quirks but may seem to fit the bill for me.

So I guess my big questions are:
1. Am I overlooking anything major?
2. Would the PV Lusso be a good choice? In that case I'd probably get the 2 group since it's not much more.
3. What other machines would you recommend?

Thanks for reading!

- bri

amh0001

#2: Post by amh0001 »

Sup Bigblue,

I recently upgraded my espresso machine (settled on an Oscar 2 for a great price). However you have a bigger budget.

First off, check these sites, and then sort by price to see what you can get (whole latte love, Seattle coffee gear, Chris Coffee, Espresso Outlet).

Anyways, Here are some suggestions of machines I have researched, but not personally used that fit your budget.

I would stick to the big name brands as I think they will be easier to service and or find resources for.

1. Its really easy to get caught up in the minor differences such as HX vs DB, but I found after using them it wasn't that big a deal.
2. If you are really set on a spring lever, this looks good.

Rocket (new smaller model) Aparttmento
Expobar (from spain but well sold and supported) Lever
Profitec (known for high quailty parts) either 300 or 500, they are both in your price range.
Bezzera BZ10 ( I believe Bezzera uses electricity to heat the brew head instead of water)

I am sure there are more, but I dont think you could go wrong with any of these here. The only reason I did not include the Oscar 2, is because I just got it like 3 days ago, and I'm still figuring it out. Plus the machines above are going to be higher quality (less plastic) and better bang for your higher price bracket.

My best advice if you're really stuck is try to get your hands on the machine and try it. You can do all the research you want but until you actually pull a shot of two you will find things you like/dont like.

~Adam

clivecoffee
Sponsor

#3: Post by clivecoffee »

Good points. But before checking price I would research the learning curve and routine needed for these different machine types. As time goes on, the consistency and ease of use will be far more memorable than up front discounts.

A key concept that came to mind from your post is flexibility. Since you change beans frequently, being able to dial the temperature down to smooth out darker roasts, and up for lighter roasts could help you find your favorite flavors in each bean. This could continue keep your palate happy as you continue to experiment down the road. You don't have to experiment away from the default 200 degree brew temperature if you don't want to, but the option is there whenever you want. If this sounds fun, a compact dual boiler like the Pro 300 that Adam mentioned could give you added flexibility, as well as the confidence of being able to walk up to the machine in the morning and have no doubt that it's ready to pull your shot at the right temperature.

Happy hunting!
Ben@Clive

poison

#4: Post by poison »

Lots of options at that price point, but the astra pro is the cheapest. Or rather, least expensive, because it's not cheaply made, and has specs that surpass machines costing a LOT more. It fits all your requirements, and is built like a tank. Mine is 5 years old, and it's made to last a lifetime.

icantroast

#5: Post by icantroast replying to poison »

Is the Astra meant to be left on all day?

poison

#6: Post by poison »

Absolutely, no problem. You can use a wifi plug, as well, and flip it on and off at will, or set a schedule.