Espresso Grinders - Stuck in the Research Rabbit Hole. Please Help! Ceado E6P or Mignon XL? Any Others?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
tylercbk

#1: Post by tylercbk »

Hello, Long time reader first time poster.

Apologies for another grinder post....

I'm looking to upgrade my very well used Breville Smart Pro Grinder. I have a Expobar Office Lever and make only doubles (3 - 5 a day). I prefer a hopper over single dosing, as I make multiples at a time. I liked the Ceado e6p but it seems there's too much bean retention, and dialing in sounds cumbersome. The models with the worm wheel are out of my price range. I've been looking at Mignon XL but the touchscreen seems flimsy and likely to break. Also do you need to dose in a cup and pour off into portafilter?

Any experiences with these grinders? Any others I should be considering for auto dosing directly in the portafilter, with a hopper? I want to keep it as cheap as possible, but upgrading from my Breville that I've never been happy with.

Thank you for any insight!

Best,
Tyler

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

Welcome to H-B!

With a lot of people focused on single-dose grinders, the amount of talk about hopper-fed grinders that aren't timed or Grind by Weight has faded a lot. I think those two are around $650 and $900.

I think that if I were looking for a hopper-fed grinder under $1,000 I'd probably go with a Eureka. Their limitations, flaws and fixes seem to be well understood across a broad community. Most of the complaints seem to me to come from people that are trying to use a hopper-fed grinder as a single-dose one. The Mignon line seems to be very popular and used ones come up from time to time. The 55 mm burrs look like they are under $50 if you decide to go with a used one an find its burrs need replacement.

I don't know the pricing and it would mean single dosing, but the Option-O Lagom Casa just announced may be a great option. They have a good track record of providing great burrs in great grinders.

tylercbk (original poster)

#3: Post by tylercbk (original poster) »

Thank you!

Splatcat

#4: Post by Splatcat »

I went from a smart grinder to a Ceado e37s. Could not be any happier. I don't think Ceado gets enough love. The build quality is absolutely 1st class. And the worm gear is a joy to use. Maybe look for a used grinder to get a step up. Lots of used grinders kicking around now.

tylercbk (original poster)

#5: Post by tylercbk (original poster) »

Thank you for your reply! It's looking like with a littler higher budget, I can get a significantly better grinder - I prefer the design of Ceado over Eureka so the e37s is appealing. Hearing your switch from same breville grinder is reassuring.

Do you use Medium Roast ? I read a few reviews stating the motor can have problems with lighter roasted coffees. That's one of my big complaints with Breville, as it can never handle the light and medium/light roasts.

Thanks again!

time for an espresso!

Splatcat

#6: Post by Splatcat »

I drink mostly city to full city roasts. Occasionally lighter but not the trendy grassy beans. The ceado is a beast of a grinder. Super easy to clean and whisper quiet. After my smart grinder I "borrowed " a mazzer mini and then a malkhonig e65s from work. Both great grinders but the Ceado won me over. Lots of great grinders out there now so it'll be hard to go wrong.

jgood

#7: Post by jgood »

I can only speak for dark or darkish roasts but -- I am very happy with my Niche Zero (regular conical model). It's been trouble free for the 2 years I have owned it and has super low retention. It's excellent in the cup. I know you favor a hopper but I don't find the single dose slows me down for multiple doses. While I pull one shot the next dose is grinding. It only takes a few seconds to weigh out the beans in a cup - I ofter weigh out a few doses if I am making several shots. For under $500 it's a good deal.

mrgnomer

#8: Post by mrgnomer »

Splatcat wrote:I went from a smart grinder to a Ceado e37s. Could not be any happier. I don't think Ceado gets enough love. The build quality is absolutely 1st class. And the worm gear is a joy to use. Maybe look for a used grinder to get a step up. Lots of used grinders kicking around now.
My grinder experience is limited to a stepped Rocky, stepless Macap M4, Ceado E37J and a Ceado E37SD. I have to agree, Ceado doesn't get a lot of North American attention. Their stock burrs are good, they grind really well and they're easy to take apart. My best extractions so far are with a Ceado E37SD I got on sale. Quick, quiet, easy single dose work flow. Very good shock absorption. Nothing on my bench rattles. Really like the grinder.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

JeffNYC

#9: Post by JeffNYC »

I was in the same rabbit hole for a few months and it sounds like we have similar perspectives. I also do about 4-5 espressos per day and I didn't like the workflow of SD when I tried it for a few weeks (granted my current grinder isn't optimal for that). I finally placed an order this week for a Fiorenzato Allgrind Sense, grind by weight seemed nice to try.

I had the e6p on a short list for quite a while, but noted conflicting ability to use SSP burrs if that matters to you. The reviews on YouTube are compelling. Don't like the markings on the dial ring (not low to high from fine to course, weird).

Another to check out is the Anfim Practica (with shorter hopper) but this is nearly 2x the Ceado. (SSP don't fit either.) Looks like it will last forever.

I nearly hit Pay Now on those two many times.

Good luck.

mrgnomer

#10: Post by mrgnomer »

The SSP HU burrs I tried on the Ceado E37J were a tight fit, needed shimmying and gummed up regularly. I agree, if you're looking for a grinder to test SSP burrs on, Ceado might not be the best choice. Before they changed to their 83mm Opalglide there were reviews of the titanium burrs clogging up.

Their stock burrs don't clog up and I like them for espresso especially the 83mm Opalglide.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love