Espresso Grinder Advice for Novice with sub-$1000 Budget

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
gmdoubleg

Postby gmdoubleg » Apr 10, 2019, 2:16 am

Hello everyone,

This is my first post to this site but I've been reading for a long time. I finally pulled the trigger and upgraded my espresso machine from the Breville Infuser to the Profitec Pro 600. I'm elated at my decision. Before buying the new machine I've had the Sette 30 and added the 270 stepless micro adjustment for grinding. It's worked quite well but the noise is too much for the wife. She's a graveyard nurse and the grinder wakes her every time so she's pulled rank and forcing me to get something different. Going to sell the Infuser and Sette for $450 so that puts my budget at about $1000. As much as I want the best grinder for the money, the noise level will have to be a top two deciding factor.

Currently looking at:
1. Eureka Atom ($899.00 WLL)
2. Eureka Specialita ($679.00 SCG)
3. Ceado E6P ($840.00 WLL)
4. Ceado E5P ($660.00 WLL)
5. open to options sub $1000.00

My biggest question is how loud are these grinders? I've read everywhere about how silent the Eureka is but are the Ceado "loud"? The Sette is practically a lawn mower (exaggeration, of course) so I'm wondering if most of my options in the sub-$1000 category would be okay.

Other info possibly needed for a recommendation other than listed: I don't really care if I single dose or have beans in the hopper, I can purge a few grams if needed. I drink 3-5 espressos a day. No height restrictions since it sits on an open area. I don't feel my palate is currently sophisticated enough to decide between flat and conical burrs if it changes the taste. Time to grind 20g is no worry.

Thank you ahead of time for all the suggestions and help.

mivanitsky

Postby mivanitsky » Apr 10, 2019, 2:57 am

Niche Zero. Similar outstanding flavor profile to Kafatek MC3, but with somewhat less clarity. It is quite quiet, decently built, and an excellent single doser. If you like the conical taste profile, it is an excellent choice, and probably the best value in a sub $2000 single dosing motorized grinder. I've been testing a borrowed one for a few weeks, and am impressed by its workflow and cup quality.

nuketopia

Postby nuketopia » Apr 10, 2019, 2:59 am

The Sette is a bit noisy, but otherwise, turns out a good cup.

I don't think the ones on your list are all that much quieter.

How about a Lyn Weber HG-1? Being hand-powered, ought to be the quietest big grinder you can get. Much as I like the convenience of electric power, it's likely the quietest solution you're going to find. It's also under your budget limit.

The other idea might be a blender acoustic enclosure, like they use at juice bars, smoothie places and Starbucks, etc.

mivanitsky

Postby mivanitsky » Apr 10, 2019, 3:06 am

If you are willing to consider manual grinders, HG1 and Helor Flux or Stance, or the Kinu M47 or M68 are great choices as well. I have Flux, HG1, and M47 myself, and recommended them all without reservation. The ceramic bearings in the Helor grinders are easy to break, but also easy to replace.

HG1 has rather noisy gearing, and is louder than any of my Kafatek grinders, and probably than the Niche Zero as well, but I love it nonetheless.

redbone

Postby redbone » Apr 10, 2019, 6:12 am

Another machine to consider is the Eureka Atom 65 which is an improvement over the 60. The Atom 65 not only has the larger 65mm burrs vs 60mm but also has less retention according to feedback and videos. Not sure if it sports the larger body as found on the Atom 75 or same as Atom 60. Can be found for 1K with discounts.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

piperman

Postby piperman » Apr 10, 2019, 7:25 am

I just picked up a Rocket Fausto, I had same concerns with loudness and under $1000. It is a 65mm burr grinder, it is very quiet and quite fast.
Built like a tank too.

gmdoubleg

Postby gmdoubleg » Apr 10, 2019, 12:20 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I honestly hadn't thought about manual grinders but I don't think that will be my next step. Simply out of convenience, I think I want to stay with an electric grinder then get into manual later on.

For all the recommendations for the Niche Zero should I be concerned about longevity? It hasn't been out very long and it's a start up company, right? I am very interested in the Niche Zero but I see the plastic housing and it makes me concerned. I completely understand this might be a poor judgment just looking at the exterior.

The Atom 65 would be a great option but I haven't seen it under $1k so I can't justify that to the wife.

wai2cool4u

Postby wai2cool4u » Apr 10, 2019, 12:23 pm

there's a used Eureka zenith 65e currently available on the buy/sale forum. might be worth looking into if you're already sold on the atom 65

[FS] Eureka Zenith 65E High-Speed Espresso Grinder - Black

mallen4248

Postby mallen4248 » Apr 10, 2019, 12:42 pm

Ceado E37J should be as quiet as my E37S and the J fits your budget. If you buy your espresso machine the same time as the grinder you should get a discount.
In vino veritas.... and caffeine helps the next morning....

mivanitsky

Postby mivanitsky » Apr 10, 2019, 12:58 pm

gmdoubleg wrote:Thanks for all the replies. I honestly hadn't thought about manual grinders but I don't think that will be my next step. Simply out of convenience, I think I want to stay with an electric grinder then get into manual later on.

For all the recommendations for the Niche Zero should I be concerned about longevity? It hasn't been out very long and it's a start up company, right? I am very interested in the Niche Zero but I see the plastic housing and it makes me concerned. I completely understand this might be a poor judgment just looking at the exterior.

The Atom 65 would be a great option but I haven't seen it under $1k so I can't justify that to the wife.

I think DaveC has been beating on a Niche Zero for longer than anyone, and I think he has not had any age-related failures to date, but you should ask him.