Espresso Grinder Advice for Novice with sub-$1000 Budget - Page 3

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
dparrish

Postby dparrish » Apr 12, 2019, 6:55 pm

I think whether you'll notice a great difference in using the Specialita will likely depend on what coffee you grind. I bought it recently as a second grinder, since I like having variety and it allows me to dial in each grinder to a particular coffee. Compared to my MACAP M7D conical, the Specialita seems to do better with more traditional blends (like Caffe Umbria's Gusto Crema), whereas the MACAP brings out the layers of complexity better on coffees that include a fruity note (such as a Yirgacheffe or the Ughandan bean in Caffe Umbria's Bizzarri blend). I do love the Specialita for it's very low retention of grounds since I single-dose exclusively. It is also very quiet and produces a beautiful, non clumpy grind. Not to mention the great price I got it for compared to the MACAP, thanks to the tip here on the forum to buy from Espressocoffeeshop.com :D

sweaner

Postby sweaner » Apr 12, 2019, 7:41 pm

Moka 1 Cup wrote:I though that the the body of the Niche was made of aluminum not plastic.

It is: https://www.nichecoffee.co.uk/features/
Scott
LMWDP #248

www.coffeefreek.com

lim.calvinb

Postby lim.calvinb » Apr 15, 2019, 1:26 pm

If the noise is a concern, i think it may be best if you actually go to a store and sample the grinders side by side so you have a first hand feel of the noise levels.

gmdoubleg

Postby gmdoubleg » Apr 16, 2019, 9:36 pm

I got the Eureka Specialita yesterday and am still fine tuning the grind. I can't emphasize how quiet this is compared to the Sette. I took some decibel readings from different distances so I'll create a new post with that review. The funny thing is the grind on the Specialita is so fluffy that it's hard to get 20g in the 20g basket. Using the Sette it was fairly easy without settling it down before the end of the grind. Now I'm having to knock the grinds down about half way through the grind to get all of it to fit.

This might be a dumb question but a 20g basket is designed for 20g of coffee, right? I'm using the Baristapro 20g Precision Portafilter basket from WLL.

redbone

Postby redbone » Apr 28, 2019, 11:23 am

Visited local Eureka reseller yesterday to have a good look and trial a pre-owned Zenith 65E. Nothing like seeing and using first hand. Grinder body is just too large for home use imo considering some competitors have smaller bodies with larger burrs (Ceado E37S). Fairly quiet fast grind with easy adjustments are a plus but size was overwhelming.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549