Espresso Drip Tray Scale

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
thecoffeefield

Postby thecoffeefield » Nov 22, 2016, 12:20 pm

I'm in the market for a scale to weigh my shot/extraction. My options right now is a pocket scale or the Acaia Lunar, which I can buy for Christmas. My main concern with the Acaia, aside from the astronomical price, is the fact that it's out of stock pretty much everywhere and so I have a feeling that they are coming out with a new one? Having said that, does anybody know of a good pocket scale that I can use for this purpose? Also, if the Lunar is the way to go, does anybody have intel if a new one is coming out soon?

Thanks

SonVolt

Postby SonVolt » Nov 22, 2016, 12:44 pm

If you don't want to fork over the $220 for the Lunar you can always go with a $13 smart scale. It's not nearly as fancy and durable but it gets the job done and can easily and cheaply be replaced if needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-Digi ... 00IZ1YHZK/

chrisbodnarphoto

Postby chrisbodnarphoto » Nov 22, 2016, 12:52 pm

There's always the Brewista - has features like auto-tare etc, but only about $60!

MikFlores300

Postby MikFlores300 » Nov 22, 2016, 1:04 pm

Second on the Brewista. Water proof and easy to clean because I can just run it under the sink. Back-lit screen and very responsive.

thecoffeefield

Postby thecoffeefield » Nov 22, 2016, 1:22 pm

I heard the Brewista is unreliable. Is this still true or was it just the earlier versions? Also, will it work with ristrettos? One of the main complaints about the Acaia is that the few early drops of a ristretto do not trigger the scale to start weighing or timing

RyanJE

Postby RyanJE » Nov 22, 2016, 1:43 pm

Just got one of these for my drip tray...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004O ... UTF8&psc=1

Cheap
Small
Responds quickly
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

FirstBetta

Postby FirstBetta » Nov 22, 2016, 1:46 pm

Any AWS smart scale will do what you want. I have and have had 3 AWS scales and they perform well. One (!) caution, they do not like getting wet. The main reason I had replace one of my scales was it got wet from water from after pull flushing. Available from Amazon as well as others for <$30.

redbone

Postby redbone » Nov 22, 2016, 2:56 pm

I found this site had some good reviews and pricing comparison regarding scales.

http://canadianweigh.com/collections/precision-scales

I have no affiliation with the company but recently purchased an accurate My Weigh scale from them after reading reviews from multiple sites and owner feedback.
ON A QUEST FOR BETTER ESPRESSO

Rob
LMWDP #549

frank828

Postby frank828 » Nov 22, 2016, 3:28 pm

FirstBetta wrote:Any AWS smart scale will do what you want. I have and have had 3 AWS scales and they perform well. One (!) caution, they do not like getting wet. The main reason I had replace one of my scales was it got wet from water from after pull flushing. Available from Amazon as well as others for <$30.

get some moderately decent packing tape(not the super thick ones, they dont stick as well) and tape over the display and buttons. It'll help with the getting wet issues.

Nunas

Postby Nunas » Nov 22, 2016, 3:48 pm

I bought the Brewista and like it. But, if I were to be doing it over again, I think I'd buy this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ME8VI34?ref=emc_b_5_i. I don't use all the modes on the Brewista, just auto 4 most of the time. This one looks perilously close in size and construction (you want a think scale so there is room for the cup). Plus, if I understand it correctly, this scale has a 'counting mode', which might be handy. Finally, it is accurate to .01g and is half the price of the Brewista. If you need more than a 1 pound capacity, they make two more models that will do 2 and 3 kilos, but they are only accurate to 0.1g

Sponsored by counterculturecoffee.com
www.counterculturecoffee.com: coffee driven people, people driven coffee