Espresso cup for doubles - pondering *width*

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
SiempreTuParceroMike

#1: Post by SiempreTuParceroMike »

Sorry to start a new thread, but after reading here about cup size/thickness I didn't come across the topic I have in mind.

I like to pull doubles 2-3 times a day. At the moment I weigh the dose then time the shots, though I'm planning on upgrading my grinder and scale *very* soon to convert to a 18g dose/36g in the cup method. My issue is simply this: my cups aren't wide enough!

When I'm dialing in, I use two graduated shot glasses and there's no problem. But thereafter I've attempted to use these attractive but thin (too thin, apparently) mugs for a double shot that a friend gifted me. They measure about 2.5'' in diameter and the first spurt out of my E61 brewhead/portafilter is always too wide for the cup. It's messy and I also end up losing precious drops of crema :) #unacceptable

I'm likely going to buy these cups, which appear to be wider: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007381GB4/?c ... _lig_dp_it

I've also looked at the notNeutral LINO cups among others. Anyone have a similar issue with cups for doubles not being wide enough?

Best,
Mike

dd23

#2: Post by dd23 »

Yes, if using a portafilter with a double spout, it takes a pretty wide espresso cup to cover both. The notNeutral ones are just wide enough for my double-spouted E61 portafilter. [The notNeutral website's diagram says that the diameter at the top is 2 and 3/8 inches, measured from the inside edges of the cup's rim.]

I haven't tried the Nuova Point ones, so I can't say for sure (although I have some on order, so I can let you know in a couple days, if you're still curious).
(Also, if you haven't already ordered them, you may also want to check espressozone and not just amazon.)

And, of course, the other solution is to switch to a single-spout or a bottomless portafilter (which is also useful for diagnosing issues with basket prep :)

Balthazar_B

#3: Post by Balthazar_B »

dd23 wrote: And, of course, the other solution is to switch to a single-spout or a bottomless portafilter (which is also useful for diagnosing issues with basket prep :)
Hear, hear!

However, if you're bound and determined to use a double-spouted portafilter to feed a double shot into a single cup, the Ancap Ancona demitasse is a few mm wider than the NotNeutral Lino described above (I use both).

https://ancap-usa.com/products/cups/ancona/33404

It happens to be my favorite cup for macchiatos.
- John

LMWDP # 577

IPW20X

#4: Post by IPW20X »

Put a dot on your drain screen to position the cup the same each time.

SiempreTuParceroMike (original poster)

#5: Post by SiempreTuParceroMike (original poster) »

dd23 wrote: And, of course, the other solution is to switch to a single-spout or a bottomless portafilter (which is also useful for diagnosing issues with basket prep :)
Ohhhhhh yes, baby :) I do long to acquire a bottomless portafilter - partly for the sexiness, admittedly. Do most of my friends find espresso sexy? No, but that's just a result of their ignorance :mrgreen:

At the moment I would consider myself a burgeoning newbie so the BPF could be a Christmas/birthday present at some point.

Thanks for the cup suggestions!

Best,
Mike

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by baristainzmking »

Here is another one to consider. IPA Milano Espresso Cups. They. Are wider then others and comes in a variety of colors. I happen to love the red. http://greatinfusions.com/ipa-rosso-mil ... resso-cup/
Julia

al3xx

#7: Post by al3xx »

For the price of the thing you're considering on Amazon, it seems like a better idea to invest that in a bottomless portafilter. You can get one for similar price. It will definitely help you diagnose extraction problems and improve your espresso game.

Otherwise, consider dropping by your local restaurant supply store and you can usually find things like these for really cheap. Extract into two, and pour into your cup for serving. This has the added benefit, when serving your shots, of stirring the espresso before you drink it!

#8: Post by SiempreTuParceroMike (original poster) »

baristainzmking wrote:Here is another one to consider. IPA Milano Espresso Cups. They. Are wider then others and comes in a variety of colors. I happen to love the red. http://greatinfusions.com/ipa-rosso-mil ... resso-cup/
Yeah, I like these a lot, too :)

#9: Post by SiempreTuParceroMike (original poster) »

al3xx wrote:For the price of the thing you're considering on Amazon, it seems like a better idea to invest that in a bottomless portafilter. You can get one for similar price. It will definitely help you diagnose extraction problems and improve your espresso game.

Otherwise, consider dropping by your local restaurant supply store and you can usually find things like these for really cheap. Extract into two, and pour into your cup for serving. This has the added benefit, when serving your shots, of stirring the espresso before you drink it!

<image>
Don't get me wrong - I'd be fine with buying used on eBay. But I'll drop $40 or so for the "perfect" cups. Not much more, though, since I can get the naked PF for around $60, to your point.

I have plenty of shot pitchers. I do use them now and again but hate losing the crema, thought it be mere drops, that clings to the inside of the pitcher.

Best,
Mike

bluesman

#10: Post by bluesman »

SiempreTuParceroMike wrote:I can get the naked PF for around $60
1st-Line has a generic e61 naked PF for $38.58 - I have one. It even comes with a triple basket. I bought it for backflushing along with a naked ECM PF for brewing. If I'd known how good the generic one is, I wouldn't have spent the extra $ on the ECM.