Entry level grinder for pourover

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
clynch

#1: Post by clynch »

Hi Guys,
I had a breville grinder for about 10 years. It worked fine for home roasting and pour over in a chemex. It just broke. When it comes to grinders for pour over what do you recommend? I paid 200 for the breville. Lots of conical grinders under a hundred (solis ... cusinart). I'm guessing one of these would be sufficient. I saw a Solis for $79. A bodum for about a hundred. Highest was a Baratza encore for about $160.

When you're talking home roast beans for pour over, do I need to spend 169 for a Baratza encore? Will anything entry level do, so long as its conical burr? I'm waffling on my decision.
Charlie

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by JB90068 »

Recently visiting my son, he was using an OXO conical grinder and pulling shots with his La Pavoni Europiccola. The grinder only cost around $100. I was amazed by the results he got. I'm sure others will recommend that you get a good hand grinder which is good advice. Respecting you budget though, you might want to check this little grinder out. Also, this is super quiet.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CSKGLMM/
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

clynch (original poster)

#3: Post by clynch (original poster) »

WOW! I have LIDO E hand grinder for my espresso machine. I'm good there. I was thinking of getting a Europiccola. If the OXO can grind for a Europiccola thats amazing. The OXO can definitely grind for pour over. I'll have to take a serious look at it. THANKS!
Charlie

Rice Bowl

#4: Post by Rice Bowl replying to clynch »

If you already have a Lido E why not also use that for pour over/brew grinding?

clynch (original poster)

#5: Post by clynch (original poster) »

I only hand grind for espresso. Lido-e is dialed in and I hardly ever change it. It is an "E" so if I were to use it I'd have to adjust it all the way out. I suppose I could try it. For pour over I was looking for electric grind. Hopefully a quality inexpensive grinder. I also need to get an electric goose neck kettle. I pour a single cup frequently
Charlie

DamianWarS

#6: Post by DamianWarS »

clynch wrote:Hi Guys,
I had a breville grinder for about 10 years. It worked fine for home roasting and pour over in a chemex. It just broke. When it comes to grinders for pour over what do you recommend? I paid 200 for the breville. Lots of conical grinders under a hundred (solis ... cusinart). I'm guessing one of these would be sufficient. I saw a Solis for $79. A bodum for about a hundred. Highest was a Baratza encore for about $160.

When you're talking home roast beans for pour over, do I need to spend 169 for a Baratza encore? Will anything entry level do, so long as its conical burr? I'm waffling on my decision.
Baratza has amazing support and and strong line up plus you can fix them as baratza has all the parts for their grinders set up for repairs. If cost is the issue I would look for a used one. But I get not wanting to buy a well known brand when another product is just as good but cheaper. Where I haven't used the Oxo the burrs seems very similar to other grinders I've used, and you should be able to get decent grinds for brew out of it. You buy the support with baratza including help/troubleshooting with repairs if needed down the road where the Oxo probably just gets tossed.

clynch (original poster)

#7: Post by clynch (original poster) »

Thanks for all the responses. I purchased the OXO Grinder. I was shocked. At the smallest grind setting it took 30 seconds to grind enough to use in my BDB. The grind was sufficient enough for espresso. Again, I was shocked. Its more than sufficient for regular grind pour over and it was sufficient for the BDB espresso. I'm very happy with it.
Charlie

Yan

#8: Post by Yan »

You can check this out...
Welhome WPM ZDT10
I use around 6 month (older version) and then gave to my brother, it's very good for that price definitely better than Feima 600N and variant.