"End Game" hopper grinder - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Ypuh

#11: Post by Ypuh »

Etzinger EtzMAX MW maybe? Low retention, small 200g hopper, fast, easy to service, GbW, even easier to clean or switch burss (2 sets included with the Medium).

The looks have grown on me (especially in white) to a point where I might purchase one.
I don't want a Decent

climb8000

#12: Post by climb8000 »

I think the Compak PKF is worth your attention. I was between the Compak PKF, Mahlkonig E80, and the Ceado E37K. I chose the Compak for its lower rpm and focus on extraction over volume applications. If you want conical burrs, the Ceado seems like a good move.

Advertisement
coffeechan

#13: Post by coffeechan »

One question to ask is what type of machine are you pairing the flat grinder with? Flow profiling might influence what type of grinder you might pursue as "end game". It opens up different types of espresso techniques you might explore such as turbo shots or long low to medium pressure shots for very light coffees.

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#14: Post by JB90068 »

Iconicred wrote:Thank you all.

What prompted this was the fact that I am on a set of 50mm flats right now with a Weber Key arriving. Assuming I love the Key, I thought I may upgrade the 50mm flats. I am a believer generally of buy it once buy it right. With the Key I should be happy with an incredible looking large conical (yes looks are also important to me) and now I want to think about a great set of flats. The Key is already a SD.... the question is should I look at a set of SD flats? or on demand hopper flats? normally we make single drinks.... but sometimes friends come over and I do 4 or 5 in a row.
I'm sure you have thought this already so pardon me for being redundant, but since you like everything about the Key, why not bite the bullet and get an EG-1 too? It's what I did and speaking from experience, the EG will grind through an 18 to 20g dose quick enough for when you have friends over. Personally I'm looking forward to the day when my Key finally arrives and it's sitting next to my EG.
If you haven't seen Kyle Roswell's newest video where he shows us his new Key, you might want to check it out.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

Iconicred (original poster)

#15: Post by Iconicred (original poster) »

Thank you for all of your ideas everyone!

I am on a Appartamento right now so it is a rather "basic" machine. The Key will be arriving soon. I will be looking to upgrade the espresso machine as well to gain more control and better temperature regulation. The next machine would almost certainly have PID and flow control. I may be open from something like a Decent all the way to E1P or Slayer?

I am also trying to consider SD flats, like the EG1. I wanted to see if I should go with another option but I am not ruling out another Weber. This research is interesting as I am learning about different kinds of grinders. For example, the Titus Nautilus is supposed to be better for lighter roasts.

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#16: Post by JB90068 »

Welcome to the rabbit hole! Glad to have you join us.:D

Ypuh

#17: Post by Ypuh replying to JB90068 »

From an Appartamento to a Decent, EG-1/Titus AND Key grinder. Yes, this is a good one for us.
I don't want a Decent

Advertisement

#18: Post by Iconicred (original poster) »

When i first got the Rocket machine plus a 50mm Faustino my intention was that this would stay with me for 10 years+. It is perfectly adequate for sure as I certainly do better at home than most coffee shops in my city. But as I consider better controls and maybe differentiating flavor profiles, I probably need flow and certainly temperature control.

Is there any point in going to a Bianca or even to LMLM only to wish to have a E1P or Slayer? I always thoght a float grinder is what i need and then started to think it would be cool to get a conical as well..... They Key is just too sexy to pass up.

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#19: Post by JB90068 »

What about an LM GS3 MP? You might want to double check on QC issues with the Slayer. It's what kept me from getting one when I was looking. Also check out the thread for the E1P if you haven't already.
Hands on experience with the Eagle One Prima

#20: Post by Iconicred (original poster) »

With the Slayer, I am putting hot looks over substance maybe? There is not a whole bunch of information on it. I know the GS3 is a great machine, so thats on the shortlist for sure.

Thanks for the E1P thread. thats an incredibly detailed post!
Any thoughts about the "best" machine for style and substance? I love the concept of Decent but it may be a bit too electronic for me. I have not decided if this is the way to go.