Electronic filter grinder under $500

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jonny2

#1: Post by jonny2 »

I have a Baratza Vario right now, but the noise it makes is terrible. I planning to sell it and buy something that doesnt sound like grinding small stones. I use the Vario just for filter, and love the easy of use with electronic timer so that I can just adjust and set the doses for the family to use.

Is there a good, less noisy, alternative to the Vario?
Thanks

portamento

#2: Post by portamento »

Actually, the Vario is one of the quieter home filter grinders in my experience. Although it's quieter and faster with the ceramic burrs, I use the steel burrs because I prefer the cup quality (for making filter). Have you considered putting something underneath the grinder to dampen the sound, like a rubber mat? I've found the volume and tone of grinder sound can vary significantly just based on the surface the machine sits on and how resonant it is.

In a completely different price range, the Mahlkonig Kenia is smooth, fast, and quiet.
Ryan

Advertisement
jonny2 (original poster)

#3: Post by jonny2 (original poster) »

A rubber mat didnt change the noise. Maybe it's just me that's accustomed to the more high pitched whining sound from my macap. The Vario is more low pitch and sounds like grinding small stones.