Electric steamer to accompany Strietman CT2?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Zybane

#1: Post by Zybane »

I have a Strietman CT2 Lever Espresso Machine ordered and I'm finding it quite difficult to find an electric steamer to micro-film milk.

Preferably it would be based off of a 120v Thermoblock design, as I'd like to avoid long warm-up time and inefficient boilers for my off-grid home. I only make a couple lattes per day so do not desire a long warm up machine that would/should be on all the time.

Budget would be $1.5K.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

RyanP

#2: Post by RyanP »

There really aren't many good options, or any really? I'd just buy a cheap la Pavoni to pull out when you want to steam.

erik82

#3: Post by erik82 »

Have a look at stovetop steamers like the Bellman.

Zybane (original poster)

#4: Post by Zybane (original poster) »

RyanP wrote:There really aren't many good options, or any really? I'd just buy a cheap la Pavoni to pull out when you want to steam.
How long does that unit take to warm up and make steam?

Zybane (original poster)

#5: Post by Zybane (original poster) »

erik82 wrote:Have a look at stovetop steamers like the Bellman.
I saw those but it looks to take quite a while to heat up and would be quite inefficient using the stove. Although on Ebay I do see vintage electric models.

I also found this but typically try and stay away from anything Chinese:

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/2255800549695949.html

Ad-85

#6: Post by Ad-85 »

Breville Bambino Plus
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads on Telegram

salvia

#7: Post by salvia »

Not sure about it's efficiency, and it's boiler based, but I think the QuickMill Carola steamer is worth a look. At least one forum member has one: Quick Mill Carola Steamer

ira
Team HB

#8: Post by ira »

They seem to pop up yearly at the SCA conference but sadly I don't remember the names of the companies. I think the most recent one was from Australia. Had a very funny name.

Jeff
Team HB

#9: Post by Jeff »

If you've got or can get 230/240V, something like the https://www.dualit.com/products/cino seems a reasonable option

(I don't own one as I'm stuck with 120 V. There just isn't enough power in a standard household circuit to steam "quickly" with a flash boiler / thermoblock.)

Chrikelnel

#10: Post by Chrikelnel »

Not the most elegant solution but finding a cheap used HX is probably the most cost efficient per performance method. I got lucky and found a Maximatic but there's a lot of smaller HX machines that I see pop up on local used marketplaces for not much money.