Electric kettle with the best pour control.

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
alarsen77

#1: Post by alarsen77 »

I am thinking about a new kettle for my work pour over setup. I am currently using a bonavita variable temp electric kettle. I am thinking about the fellow stagg ekg as I've read it has great control over the pour. I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for a gooseneck kettle that has good pour control? I feel like my bonavita can pour too quickly sometimes making it hard to control for my v60. I can get a stagg ekg for 20% off right now with a coupon I have for a local store that stocks them. Is the stagg worth the change from my bonavita?

winslette

#2: Post by winslette »

I went from the Oxo to the Stagg for the reason you are talking about. I had trouble limiting the flow and agitation of the Oxo due to the spout design. It heated up faster than the Stagg, but it doesn't display current temp like the Stagg does either. I have had no regrets switching.

ira
Team HB

#3: Post by ira »

The Stag is great for pour over, the speed is about perfect and controlling the flow is easy. If you share it with someone who makes tea they might get annoyed at how slow it pours.

Ira

BB Huell

#4: Post by BB Huell »

You might consider Brim:

https://brim.coffee/product/precision-gooseneck-kettle/

I am amazed at how fine a stream I can produce with it. I have been very happy with it.

Good luck.

Todd

alarsen77 (original poster)

#5: Post by alarsen77 (original poster) »

I did see the Brim as well, but I think I like the Stagg a little more overall for the aesthetics of it. But I will have to do a little bit more reading on both of them.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#6: Post by baldheadracing »

alarsen77 wrote:I am thinking about a new kettle for my work pour over setup. I am currently using a bonavita variable temp electric kettle. I am thinking about the fellow stagg ekg as I've read it has great control over the pour. I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for a gooseneck kettle that has good pour control? I feel like my bonavita can pour too quickly sometimes making it hard to control for my v60. I can get a stagg ekg for 20% off right now with a coupon I have for a local store that stocks them. Is the stagg worth the change from my bonavita?
If you're otherwise happy with your Bonavita, then perhaps try a flow restrictor for your kettle first. Bonavita sells them for under a dollar ... or if you don't like silicone, then consider this option: Bonavita Kettle - Flow Restrictor

As for control, I do have an EKG and the control is pretty good. It works fine with V60 techniques popular in the West, e.g., Perger/Rao/Hoffmann et al. It does not do well with traditional Japanese drip methods like KONO, but if you never brew that way, then you'll never have need for that level of control.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Haskens

#7: Post by Haskens »

I have a Stagg EKG and it is virtually impossible to pour too fast or out of control because of how it is designed. I also have a Stagg non-EKG version, which works very well with an induction stove, but lacks the temp control. I would recommend the Staggs, and they also look a lot better than any of the competition IMO.

Sib

#8: Post by Sib »

Hario does two electric kettles - one with and one without temperature control.
Does anyone have any experience with these?

BB Huell

#9: Post by BB Huell »

Just received and email from Costco:

For Costco Members:

Fellow Stagg EKG Pour-Over Kettle (black only) - $114.99 (shipping and handling included)

FYI

Todd

alarsen77 (original poster)

#10: Post by alarsen77 (original poster) »

That's an awesome deal but I'm not a Costco memeber and was able to get it for $5 more with a coupon I had for Williams Sonoma. I picket it up yesterday and I like the pour a lot better than the Bonavita.