EG-1 vs Ditting Lab Sweet 804

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
scorecard

#1: Post by scorecard »

Hi everyone - first time posting on what looks to be a great community. I'm currently mulling over the "end game" grinder question. I've been addicted to this home filter brewing stuff for long enough now that I think it's time.

I've read through the threads here and elsewhere. What I've taken away is that EG-1 and Lab Sweet 804 are both very strong grinders for a range of brew methods. I'm looking for a grinder that is going to be top notch for filter coffee, but will still give me room to grow into serious espresso when I eventually invest in a better machine. (Currently, I only dabble on an entry level consumer machine.)

Based on what I've read, both of these grinders fit the bill. (I gather a bunnzilla would also do the job, but Bunn grinders don't seem so easy to find in Australia, and I honestly don't trust myself to go through the alignment procedure etc.)

In terms of splitting these two grinders apart, I'm wondering if any can provide points of difference. I'm a novice at the hardware side, so as well as the results in the cup, things like warranties, support, part replacement, factory alignment, ease of re-alignment and cleaning, all factor in for me.

Would be really grateful to borrow any wisdom you have to share, HB. Thanks!

ethiopianbuffman

#2: Post by ethiopianbuffman »

With both of these, I'd measure your cabinets if you want to put one of them under it. The Ditting is basically a no go for sitting under cabinets unless you print a short hopper.

I think from workflow perspective, they are similar. I would say that the EG-1 is probably cleaner and definitely looks better on the counter. They will both serve you well in Filter and Espresso and give you a really good cup. You are really splitting hairs between the two and would only be able to notice a very slight difference if you had them side by side.

The 804 LS has been discontinued and replaced with the 807 LS, which I think looks really good, but I like the look of the EG-1 Onyx. People have mix feelings about Weber, so there is that too. I think if you can find a 804 LS for 2kish, that is deal.

I don't think you could go wrong with either of them. With the EG-1, you can get different burrs and will make the coffee you make different, so you can keep experimenting really easily. The height clearance is a PITA with the 804 and I can't wait to print a short hopper so I can have it closer to my machine.

Oh yeah and the 804LS grinds 19g in under 4s, it is fantastical.

Ad-85

#3: Post by Ad-85 »

I'm looking to upgrade my brew grinder in a couple of months. Bentwood is a strong contender against LS 807. I don't want anything SSP cause I tried Lagom p64 with the original unimodal burrs and was hoping it would be my end game brew grinder but I was really disappointed. I tried a lot of drippers and now I've settled on the blue bottle dripper that's why I can't decide yet. I need to hear user experiences with that dripper first.
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

txxt

#4: Post by txxt »

ethiopianbuffman wrote:With both of these, I'd measure your cabinets if you want to put one of them under it. The Ditting is basically a no go for sitting under cabinets unless you print a short hopper.

I think from workflow perspective, they are similar. I would say that the EG-1 is probably cleaner and definitely looks better on the counter. They will both serve you well in Filter and Espresso and give you a really good cup. You are really splitting hairs between the two and would only be able to notice a very slight difference if you had them side by side.

The 804 LS has been discontinued and replaced with the 807 LS, which I think looks really good, but I like the look of the EG-1 Onyx. People have mix feelings about Weber, so there is that too. I think if you can find a 804 LS for 2kish, that is deal.

I don't think you could go wrong with either of them. With the EG-1, you can get different burrs and will make the coffee you make different, so you can keep experimenting really easily. The height clearance is a PITA with the 804 and I can't wait to print a short hopper so I can have it closer to my machine.

Oh yeah and the 804LS grinds 19g in under 4s, it is fantastical.
I don't really want to lend much more of an opinion than to say that most of this is spot on, as someone who has an EG1 and 804 side by side. The 804 is extremely messy in comparison. But damn the thing is fast! I can't get over that. AND the taste.

After a few weeks, I do enjoy the LS brew more (home roasted Yemeni Sanaa Ibb/Mexican Cerro Brujo Don Sergio from Sweet Marias and Gedeb Halo Beriti from Royal). Not enough experience yet pulling shots on it to comment on espresso however.

jasiano

#5: Post by jasiano »

ethiopianbuffman wrote:With both of these, I'd measure your cabinets if you want to put one of them under it. The Ditting is basically a no go for sitting under cabinets unless you print a short hopper.
I know different people have difference space limitations etc.... but who would want to hide either of these 'under' any bench or cabinet :D
I'd be clearing everything out of the way so they can stand alone (next to the espresso machine of course) so I could look at them as much as possible even if not using them haha.

To the OP, just a curiosity on my part - I see you're in Oz, I know there are (very few) places to get the Ditting 'locally' but is there any where to get the EG-1 aside from directly from Weber (with the shipping and customs and GST on top of that)?
-Jason

Down Under

chipman

#6: Post by chipman »

Unless you buy a used unit, i'm not aware of anyone besides WW that sells the EG1, or any Weber Works product for that matter.

ethiopianbuffman

#7: Post by ethiopianbuffman »

jasiano wrote:I know different people have difference space limitations etc.... but who would want to hide either of these 'under' any bench or cabinet :D
I'd be clearing everything out of the way so they can stand alone (next to the espresso machine of course) so I could look at them as much as possible even if not using them haha.
My Lab Sweet is featured prominently next to my sink in my kitchen and is so big you can't miss it but it is quite far away from my espresso machine that I want it to be closer. These are both so big that you'll never miss it lol

Ejquin

#8: Post by Ejquin »

chipman wrote:Unless you buy a used unit, i'm not aware of anyone besides WW that sells the EG1, or any Weber Works product for that matter.
Uncrate has offered EG-1's from time to time

https://uncrate.com/weber-workshops-eg- ... e-grinder/

erik82

#9: Post by erik82 »

Ad-85 wrote:I'm looking to upgrade my brew grinder in a couple of months. Bentwood is a strong contender against LS 807. I don't want anything SSP cause I tried Lagom p64 with the original unimodal burrs and was hoping it would be my end game brew grinder but I was really disappointed. I tried a lot of drippers and now I've settled on the blue bottle dripper that's why I can't decide yet. I need to hear user experiences with that dripper first.
That's why you need 80mm or bigger and that's not SSP to blame. Those 64mm burrs just aren't good enough. There's a pretty big difference between 64mm and 80/98mm. My EG1 with 80mm SSP HU burrs is my endgame grinder as it does a superb job at pourover, something which 64mm could never do.

Ad-85

#10: Post by Ad-85 »

Out of the following EG-1 with ultra burrs, Molar Mini Z with the SSP Brewing burrs, Lab Sweet 807 cast steel, Bentwood V63 and Lagom P100 with SSP Cast (pre 2014 ek43 style) which grinder would you choose?
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram