EG-1 vs Ditting Lab Sweet 804 - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
erik82

#11: Post by erik82 »

Ad-85 wrote:Out of the following EG-1 with ultra burrs, Molar Mini Z with the SSP Brewing burrs, Lab Sweet 807 cast steel, Bentwood V63 and Lagom P100 with SSP Cast (pre 2014 ek43 style) which grinder would you choose?
In that category it's kind of impossible to give real advice as it's nitpicking between small differences. It really comes down to personal preference. I personally prefer 80mm over 98mm because of the better versatility. Looking from an overall perspective and dealer support only the LS807 is a very safe choice.

drH

#12: Post by drH »

Ad-85 wrote:I'm looking to upgrade my brew grinder in a couple of months. Bentwood is a strong contender against LS 807. I don't want anything SSP cause I tried Lagom p64 with the original unimodal burrs and was hoping it would be my end game brew grinder but I was really disappointed. I tried a lot of drippers and now I've settled on the blue bottle dripper that's why I can't decide yet. I need to hear user experiences with that dripper first.

Take a look at the April brewer. I can't explain why, but it's given me some excellent results lately.

Advertisement
Ad-85

#13: Post by Ad-85 »

drH wrote: Take a look at the April brewer. I can't explain why, but it's given me some excellent results lately.
I have it. It didn't work well for me. I've tried Kalita wave 155&185, V60, origami s and April brewer. The BBD is the only one I like.
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

Ad-85

#14: Post by Ad-85 »

erik82 wrote:In that category it's kind of impossible to give real advice as it's nitpicking between small differences. It really comes down to personal preference. I personally prefer 80mm over 98mm because of the better versatility. Looking from an overall perspective and dealer support only the LS807 is a very safe choice.
Interesting point. Do you prefer 80mm to 98mm in espressos or in brewing? I had the impression that the bigger the flat is the better the results get in brewing. I had some advice from someone who owned a LS804 and currently owning a Bentwood that Bentwood is better for brewing. I know that Bentwood is a solid choice but I don't think I should buy a grinder based on lesser fines it produces. I just want great brews with great alignment that I don't have to worry about :|
LMWDB #691

erik82

#15: Post by erik82 »

Ad-85 wrote:Interesting point. Do you prefer 80mm to 98mm in espressos or in brewing? I had the impression that the bigger the flat is the better the results get in brewing.
Versatility wise I do like 80mm much more over 98mm for espresso, but other might disagree. I tend to use very light roasts but prefer a more typical 1:2 ratio instead of 1:3. For pourover both 98mm and 80mm do a superb job with small nuance differences in taste profile. And that also changes with the type of bean and roast. I even prefer my Comandante over my 80mm SSP HU burrs for some beans/roasts. It's really up to the person owning the grinder and personal preference.
Ad-85 wrote:I just want great brews with great alignment that I don't have to worry about :|
All grinders that are mentioned will be capable of doing that so don't worry about that. Are you willing to take the risk of buying a superb grinder with an unknown longterm record and not being sure that the manufacturer still exists if something is wrong with it? Also something to take into account when spending this much money on a grinder.

So the bottom line is to try some grinders with your own beans and see which profile you like best. In this class it's all up to user preference because all grinders will give superb results. That makes choosing a endgame grinder so difficult. Having a lot of experience already really helped me to chose the right grinder as I already knew what my preference was. But if I had unlimited funds my choices would be different and it'd probably own 3 grinders but the EG1 was the perfect one grinder for everything for me as would the LS807 be.

111a111sk

#16: Post by 111a111sk »

Ad-85 wrote:Out of the following EG-1 with ultra burrs, Molar Mini Z with the SSP Brewing burrs, Lab Sweet 807 cast steel, Bentwood V63 and Lagom P100 with SSP Cast (pre 2014 ek43 style) which grinder would you choose?
I've also been choosing the endgame class grinder. I ended up ordering the Bentwood. It ticked the most technical boxes. Vertical burrs, blind burrs, pre-breaker, constant feed rate, factory-aligned. Looking at the distribution graph, size doesn't seem to be a disadvantage.

Retention is reportedly fantastic, it can easily use bellows unlike some boutique grinders.
And I negotiated a good deal placing it just slightly above EK43s.

Ad-85

#17: Post by Ad-85 »

Thanks guys! Bentwood isn't for me. I don't like geeky equipment. Erik has convinced me tbh. I'm leaning towards LS 807. My espresso machine is coming this month after a long wait. So in a couple of months I'll get the LS807. Thanks again.
LMWDB #691

Advertisement
erik82

#18: Post by erik82 »

Nice to hear and a good choice. Sometimes you just need a bit of a different perspective to be able to make your right choice.

scorecard (original poster)

#19: Post by scorecard (original poster) »

jasiano wrote: To the OP, just a curiosity on my part - I see you're in Oz, I know there are (very few) places to get the Ditting 'locally' but is there any where to get the EG-1 aside from directly from Weber (with the shipping and customs and GST on top of that)?
As far as I know it's only available from Weber if you want it new. I've seen a couple in the secondhand market.

I'm probably leaning towards the Ditting because of local suppliers and ability to get it serviced. Once you add in shipping and the taxes, the price of the EG-1 is starting to get a bit ridiculous imo.

erik82

#20: Post by erik82 »

You're also paying for design. Where the LS807 is Frankensteins Monsters (just like 99.9% of all grinders) the EG1 will be the topic to talk about in the kitchen. Some people tend to compare it to a kind of spacecraft. It's so well thought out that's it's worth the money. I think I paid as much for my EG1 back then as I would have to pay for a new LS807 now.