ECM Synchronika vs. La Marzocco Linea Micra

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
rey_siete

#1: Post by rey_siete »

About to make my purchase and it's come down to these 2 machines. I'm leaning more towards the ECM because:

1. It has Flow Control
2. Pre Infusion on the LMLu is just 1 second whereas you can fully control PI on the ECM with the flow control
3. Everything on the LMLu is through an app. Not keen as I plan to keep this machine for many years.

Having said all that, the chance to own a La Marzocco is just very tempting. There is something special about it...but in terms of features ECM seems better.

Please help. What am I missing?

Thanks

Jamie

Auctor

#2: Post by Auctor »

I thought this comment from Jim was helpful:

E61 vs. saturated group

If you keep reading, my thoughts are there as well.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#3: Post by baldheadracing »

rey_siete wrote:Please help. What am I missing?
E-61's are built with off-the-shelf components whose designs are in the public domain. La Marzocco designs their own groups and uses custom components in a lot of places inside the machine where you will never know. LM is very particular.

One example that has been discussed a lot is the "no-burn" steam arm. Most E-61's use off-the-shelf chromed brass steam wands which have had a PTFE (a.k.a. Teflon) tube inserted. The Micra has a double-wall stainless steel arm whose technology is used only on a few top-end premium commercial machines. The Micra's arm is manufactured just for the LMLu and costs (my educated guess) at least 10x an off-the-shelf chromed brass arm. Do both approaches steam milk? Yes. Does one last longer than another? Yes, but you'll never reach the life of a chromed brass wand at home. (End-of-life is when the chrome flakes/wears off.)

One approach just costs more. Not better or worse, just more expensive. Thus, a typical E-61 is able to offer more "stuff" at a lower price.

BTW, I believe that you are referring to the Micra's "pre-brew" feature of 1 second, which is not the same as pre-infusion.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

rey_siete (original poster)

#4: Post by rey_siete (original poster) »

Yes, you are correct. I just read that it does a Pre-Brew of 1 second and if it is plumbed in you can change the Pre-infusion separately through the app.

E61 vs. LMLu saturated group is really quite the conundrum. Wish LM had added flow control to it. Would have made my decision easier lol. Even though I like the flat 9 bar shots, i have been getting into lighter roasts and being able to play with different flow profiles is quite enticing.

Decisions....decisions...

Plinyyounger

#5: Post by Plinyyounger »

Both are very good machines. LM's quality cannot be underestimated, we also can be splitting hairs that are unnecessary. I'd say if you want to play with flavors then go with the Sync, if you want top quality name brand machine with very good temp stability, go with the LM.

Reading what you wrote if it were me I'd go with the Sync unless the LM came with some sort of flow/or pressure control then I'd go with that.
Family, coffee and fun.

scho047

#6: Post by scho047 »

I am not an expert but just sharing my experience of using and owning LM Micra (close to a week of having it now) - I too was considering Synchronika as well as Profitect Pro 700 and Rocket R58 as contenders....

For me, I am not barista and wanted to get something that would be very consistent day in day out once it was all dialled in... and offer me beautiful coffee to enjoy at home and LM does just that. Plus, it is beautiful to look at and fits in perfectly at home. On the plus side, the Micra has the app for some added functions to control Pre-Brewing which is different to Pre-Infusion which can only be done once it is plumbed in. However even with pre-brewing, you are able to set the time as you like it up to 5 seconds at 0.5 second intervals at the start before full 9 bar pressure hits and also at the end again up to 5 seconds. So far, I have it set at 2.5s start and 1.5s end which is what one of the videos from LM has released as one of the tutorials and seem to work very well and provide very tasting coffee!

Yinzer-in-JCNJ

#7: Post by Yinzer-in-JCNJ »

Jamie,
I'm in the same boat as you trying to decide between a Sync/Pro700 or LMLu (and possibly the LeLit Bianca as well) as an upgrade from the Gaggia Classic. Thinking about what I value most in my coffee experience, I'm leaning toward the Micra. While flow control and manual pre-infusion could be fun to experiment with, the (much) faster heat-up times, better temperature stability, and smaller overall footprint of the LMLu are major pros for me. And to be honest, I don't know that I want to add manual flow profiling as yet another variable to my espresso prep workflow each morning. If the Micra can produce really great, consistent espresso from medium to medium-light roasts with a flat 9-bar profile, I think that'd be good enough for me.
-B

PaulTheRoaster

#8: Post by PaulTheRoaster »

I think maybe too much is made of the lack of flow control. I've pulled really delicious shots with what are the lightest roasts from a few more and less well-known roasters (Intelligentsia, Wonderstate, Four Letter Word). I haven't tried Sey or Manhattan or Tim Wendelboe light roasts - and perhaps then there would be a problem. The machine has a really low water debit which must help (I also rigged up a plumbing connection to get preinfusion and turned the pump down a bit). It's really too bad coffee color meters are too expensive for us all to be able to make better comparisons.

The Micra or anything from LM will never win if you're comparing a list of features vs price.

drH

#9: Post by drH »

I ordered a Micra for a few reasons in addition to what others have mentioned:
1. The front- access reservoir is a huge plus if the machine is under cabinets
2. The sync is a simpler machine but the La Marzocco service network is very valuable

baldheadracing
Team HB

#10: Post by baldheadracing »

Tim Wendelboe's espresso roasts should pull fine on the Micra. He uses Lineas in his café, last reported at 110psi/7.58 bar and 93.5C/200F (both measured on a Scace2).

It is when you get into ultra-light filter roasts that, well, you might want a decent - or perhaps a lever 8).
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada