ECM Synchronika flow adjustment

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
stiksandstones

#1: Post by stiksandstones »

On this model:
https://www.wholelattelove.com/collecti ... ow-control

With the flow control, you CAN leave that adjustment technically "OFF" right? as I don't know how to do that yet, but I do have interest in learning, i'd hate to buy a machine with a feature thats always on that I dont know how to use.

Thanks

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by PIXIllate »

Yes, there is a simple way to measure flow rate (or water debit) in ml/s and then you can adjust the flow control knob to the position that matches the stock flow rate for your machine and then just leave it in that position.

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
Nunas
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Nunas »

stiksandstones wrote:On this model: https://www.wholelattelove.com/collecti ... ow-control With the flow control, you CAN leave that adjustment technically "OFF" right? as I don't know how to do that yet, but I do have interest in learning, i'd hate to buy a machine with a feature thats always on that I dont know how to use. Thanks
This is actually a trickier question than it seems at first blush. As already mentioned, you can figure out where to set the lever for the same water debit as a stock mushroom and leave it there. But, this will not operate the same as a stock e61. When the flow control kit is installed on an e61, the inbuilt preinfusion of the e61 is defeated by changing the bottom spring to one that is much stronger. Thus, you always manually control the shot from preinfusion to the end. Of course, this includes leaving the flow control in a given position if you wish. If you want the machine to operate as "stock," then when you buy it, be sure the vendor sends you the stock spring as well as the one that comes with the flow control kit. Switching between the two springs is child's play. With the stock spring and the flow control, you will have variable preinfusion, and if you set the flow control to the proper position, it will operate exactly like a stock e61. Once preinfusion is over, it will give you manual flow control. This is how I use my Synchronika; it's harder to explain than to actually use. If you get both springs, then you can play around and decide which one you like better. After trying my Synchronika both ways, I much prefer it with the stock spring.

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by PIXIllate »

My Profitec E61 kit did not come with a spring. I would not have installed it even if it had. This is an excellent point though. I can't imagine the spring is expensive.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Nunas »

PIXIllate wrote:My Profitec E61 kit did not come with a spring. I would not have installed it even if it had. This is an excellent point, though. I can't imagine the spring is expensive.
You must have been an early adopter of the ECM/Profitec flow control, as was I. Mine didn't come with the stronger spring either, but I note that they all do now. Also, if you get the machine with the flow control preinstalled, you usually don't get the stock spring, even though, as you say, it couldn't cost much to include it. It wasn't until I had to replace the first flow control that I got the stronger spring with the replacement kit. I wouldn't say I liked the stronger spring, although perhaps it's a case of liking better what I was used to. I use the flow control a lot to get variable e61 preinfusion. With it set at about 1/2-turn open and finely ground coffee, the preinfusion takes about 15-20 seconds. I don't usually change the setting during the shot, but I fiddle with the control to find the spot where I begin to see the first few drops emerge as the pressure hits ~9-bar. I'm fascinated with watching the pressure gauge gradually drop to ~8-bar as the coffee solids come out of the puck (this does not happen if the control is set higher). I couldn't say what difference it makes in the cup, as I don't have golden taste buds :cry:. But the quality control department, to whom I'm married, tells me what's good and what isn't :lol: . It's uncanny to me that even in a milk drink, she can usually tell me any time I've varied my routine.

stiksandstones (original poster)

#6: Post by stiksandstones (original poster) »

Super insightful answer, appreciate that!

I am so damn tired of researching machine I want haha. Settled on Synchronika but not sure I should get it with the flow control or wait (im a newbie, coming off a Gaggica and Breville).

I want the wood knob upgrades, but, dont like WLL maple (too white) and Clive is out of the darker woods. I know, just get machine and upgrade handles later haha, trying to make it look the way my better half will accept the beast in the kitchen haha.

Cheers, great reply, thanks

Auctor
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by Auctor »

stiksandstones wrote:I am so damn tired of researching machine I want haha. Settled on Synchronika but not sure I should get it with the flow control or wait
I wrote this a little while ago...

ECM Synchronika pre fusion

Edit: I should add - I still believe it's worth the investment because it opens up some possibilities. Whether one can taste the difference is still a bit of a *meh*. But you're already in for $3k - what's another $200 for some addl functionality.

ECM Manufacture: @ecmespresso #weliveespresso
Sponsored by ECM Manufacture
stiksandstones (original poster)

#8: Post by stiksandstones (original poster) »

Cheers again...do we know if Clive or WLL include that extra spring mentioned above? if I buy the flow control version?
Actually, don't think Clive sells the flow version.

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by PIXIllate »

Nunas wrote:You must have been an early adopter of the ECM/Profitec flow control, as was I. Mine didn't come with the stronger spring either, but I note that they all do now. Also, if you get the machine with the flow control preinstalled, you usually don't get the stock spring, even though, as you say, it couldn't cost much to include it.
I got my PRO 600 with the Flow Control pre-installed around August of last year. It was suppose to come with the original mushroom but it didn't. I emailed iDrinkcoffee and they sent me the original mushroom along with a spring. I'm not sure if it's the original or the stiffer new one for the flow control. I can't imagine wanting to remove the original as that nice slow start and a few seconds hanging out at 3 bar can only be good for a puck. On their website the Profitec kit with the black face on the pressure gauge does NOT come with a spring and the ECM kit with the white face on the gauge does. They're the same price.

To be honest I really don't use the flow control as of yet. I just have it set to 1-1/4 turns open which is about 7.5ml/sec flow rate (~150ml/20 seconds). I feel the value for me is in having a fast response, accurate pressure gauge right at the brew head. That allows me to see problems in the puck if I watch it carefully. Maybe at some point I'll become a more active user of the flow control but for now I'm glad I spent the extra money.

hongky

#10: Post by hongky »

Sorry if this have been ask before

I'd like to know if doing very long PI (30 seconds or more) will have damaging effect on the pump or is it safe to do.
Is it the same effect for vibration and rotary pump ?

TIA