ECM Synchronika (2018) vs. Profitec Pro 700 (2019)

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
luckydragon

#1: Post by luckydragon »

The Synchronika and Pro 700 are functionally identical; it seems that the only thing that separates them are some aesthetic touches. Since the 2019 "V2" upgrade, the Pro 700 has the same steaming power as the Synchronika, as well as the upgrade to a stainless steel mushroom (along with a couple small design changes).

Is it worth the extra $280-$400 (CAD) to own a Synchronika over the Pro 700? How much of that price bump is justified by having the joystick steam & hot water knobs over sprung valves?

I've read in past threads here that people think the base of the Sync is sturdier than the 700, but aside from the powdercoat on the Sync, both have stainless steel rails for the drip tray to slide over, so there's virtually no risk of rusting/corrosion. Speaking of the drip tray, can anyone who's tried out both machines confirm in the Sync's holds less than the 700's?

Is there a difference in the quality of the internal components, especially considering the 2019-upgraded Pro 700?

While I think the chrome-capped, angled portafilters are nice, I'm bummed that ECM decided to package the Sync with a double and single spout, rather than a double and a bottomless. Is it due to the regional market? Clive has the right idea of selling their Luccas with a double and chopped pf right off the bat.

So basically, the only thing that sells me on the Sync over the 700 are the joysticks, but I almost prefer the cleaner, minimalist design of the 700 over the Sync (except for the anthracite-paneled version, which I think looks great, but sadly, my vendor tells me is OOS for an indeterminate amount of time).

JohnStuartP

#2: Post by JohnStuartP »

I think this is one of those questions that just comes down to a very personal decision. For me, I would pay extra for the looks, the portafilters and the joysticks of the ECM, but I'm sure others wouldn't. Unfortunately, only you can decide if there difference is worth it. Are you able to see them in person?

mallen4248

#3: Post by mallen4248 »

The ECM Synchronika and Profitec 700 use the exact same internals laid out internally in almost the same way. They function in the same way (the flow control device will be available soon on/for the Synchronika). They are both made in the same factory. Both are great machines. The Synchronika does have a more rigid frame, joystick controls, gauges are mounted high on front, slightly better fit, finish and aesthetics, weighs more (heavier frame?). Here are some WLL videos showing both machines. It's really up to the end user as to what they would prefer and if it's worth the $200 US price difference. You could not go wrong with either one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hunFv7E51L8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l54y-_Vx_ts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yel0wRhujIk
In vino veritas.... and caffeine helps the next morning....

Brother_Bluto

#4: Post by Brother_Bluto »

It's knobs vs joysticks and a slight aesthetic difference. For me, joysticks all day long - up, down, sideways... very easy to operate with the back of the hand, etc. Love our Synchronika. The only think you may want to look at is the Synchronika had an upgrade to the PID just before mid-year. I'd make sure it has the new PID as it is worth it IMO for the extra steam power. While it can be upgraded after the fact (as I did), it's $200 to do so.

NervousEnergy

#5: Post by NervousEnergy »

Could never go to twist knobs after using the Synch's joysticks. Definitely worth the extra for me, though I bought a refurb for $2600 from WLL that was in picture-perfect condition. I would have paid full price had that not been available right when I was ready to buy.

Daughter is getting ready to move out for college in a few months, and I'm pretty sure she's going to miss the Synchronika more than me. :P

luckydragon (original poster)

#6: Post by luckydragon (original poster) »

JohnStuartP wrote:Are you able to see them in person?
Unfortunately, no, so I will have to rely on other people's experiences.
Brother_Bluto wrote:The only think you may want to look at is the Synchronika had an upgrade to the PID just before mid-year.
Yeah, my vendor is selling the updated version of both machines.

Seems like joysticks are nearly universally loved. I do see the appeal! Just wish the anthracite Synchronika was in-stock :cry:

Brother_Bluto

#7: Post by Brother_Bluto »

luckydragon wrote: Seems like joysticks are nearly universally loved. I do see the appeal! Just wish the anthracite Synchronika was in-stock :cry:
Some people are against the look of the joysticks... but the functionality is solid IMO and I don't mind the looks. I have the anthracite version and is a good fit for my house - you should see if they will send you the anthracite panels when they come in (WLL did that for a co-worker of mine and all he paid for was the cost of the anthracite version, but ended up with a polished set on the shipment, and the anthracite later). I really dig the look of the wooden panels, knobs & portafilter handles that Clive Coffee sells, but just can't justify the cost and not sure about longevity.

def

#8: Post by def »

I chose Synchronika because of joysticks vs knobs, but mostly because I can see the steam and line/pump pressure gauges better.

How to decide: Choose the machine with the features you like best without any consideration of the price difference. The price difference is too small to consider, especially when you amortize the difference over ten years of service. I use my Synchronika every day I am at home for 3 to 6 shots a day, and it has never failed me.

lim.calvinb

#9: Post by lim.calvinb »

I was initially considering between these two machines as well but opted to buy a rocket R58 at ~2000 dollars from the well reviewed itialian online store (don't want to post the link in case that's frowned upon) that apparently has a lot of reviews and happy customers here on HB. Personally 200-400 doesn't make much of a difference but a 1000 dollar difference is significant enough for me to move the needle.

Senftjc77

#10: Post by Senftjc77 »

def wrote:I chose Synchronika because of joysticks vs knobs, but mostly because I can see the steam and line/pump pressure gauges better.

How to decide: Choose the machine with the features you like best without any consideration of the price difference. The price difference is too small to consider, especially when you amortize the difference over ten years of service. I use my Synchronika every day I am at home for 3 to 6 shots a day, and it has never failed me.
I agree that when you amortize the cost over 10 years it will be of little difference to move to the Synch to get the extra detail/features. But I'd go a step further to suggest that if you take care of that machine it will last a lot longer than that. Amortize it over 20 years and it will seem an even better deal. And talk to the folks at WLL. Maybe you can package the bottomless in at a discount.
Profitec Pro 700 / I'm learning