Dual Group Espresso Machine for Home Use

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
CommanderNel

#1: Post by CommanderNel »

I'm in the market for a dual group head espresso machine for use at home. I do have quite a bit of counter space so size isn't the biggest concern. I'm looking for something that could be a nice project for myself... as in I'm ok with buying something that doesn't work, and putting in the work to fix it. My problem is I just don't know where to start, and what machines are easier to repair than others. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

cgibsong002

#2: Post by cgibsong002 »

Just to clarify since you haven't gotten any responses, you're taking about a dual group or dual boiler?

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
shanec

#3: Post by shanec »

Are commercial multi-group machines typically discouraged for home use? I love the look of them, but I thought I remember seeing people saying that they don't perform well if they are only pulling a handful of shots per day.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#4: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Get a Bosco Dual Lever or Slayer Two Group.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

jonasbr

#5: Post by jonasbr »

I personally don't think you will get that much more out of a double group espresso machine if you are using it purely for personal use. I have a double group Rancilio Classe 5 from when I ran a cafe some years back, connected with plumbing and higher wattage but don't see much of an advantage of it. It draws tons of power as it has an 11 liter boiler, and unless we are two using it to pump out coffees for parties then I don't see much of a productivity gain in going from one to two groups.

I'd say buy a vintage La Pavoni and restore that if you want the project. It will be cheaper, more available with parts, and it is more realistic that one completes a smaller project. That way you won't have to pay for the plumber and electrician to set up the machine either, as it usually can't run on a normal electrical outlet.