Dual boiler espresso machine under $2000 budget - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Snow27118 (original poster)

#31: Post by Snow27118 (original poster) »

LObin wrote:If you check the inside of the MaraX, you'll see that it actually does not rely heavily on computer. They were simply able to set the machine to work on brew temperature rather than on steam temperature (with a power steam button on the side). No digital screen and automated options like you find on the Elizabeth. Simple rocker switch to alternates between modes.

You can also add a flow profiling kit along the way and have a very versatile machine with the proven reliability of the E61 group for a price that respects your budget. Just worth considering IMO.

Double boilers also have their own complications. 2 boilers to fill means more power consumption and more amperage. It's an issue for NA 110/120v since some machines require a 20a plug. The alternative is to have lower wattage heating elements or alternate operations.

Footprint and maintenance usually go in favor of HXs. Again, I'm not telling you what you should buy and not buy. Each designs come with their own strengths and weaknesses.

Cheers!
Hmm the MaraX is definetely something to keep a close eye on! I like seeing the benefits of a dual boiler without the extra complexities. Plus the Mara has a lot of the manual controls that I'm finding a lot of joy in using especially with the potential of adding a flow profiling kit!

#32: Post by Snow27118 (original poster) »

downy_ball wrote:I can echo @mgwolf 's sentiment, although I've only had my La Spaziale since last December. In that time I've come to love the simplicity, build quality and the repeatability of the volumetric dousing. In all sense of the word it is a true workhorse as I can pull shot after shot with amazing steam power to keep my local cycling crew plenty caffeinated before our 30-50 mile rides up in the Oakland and Berkeley Hills. And, if you're careful with the water you use you shouldn't have any real scale problems at all.

I will also add that a lot of my decision making for my first espresso machine came from the vendors themselves. I got a lot of good advice from several of them but one really stood out with their realistic answers to my goofy newbie questions. It's somewhat of a daunting task really - buying your first espresso machine - it was nice to have a realistic person to bounce my questions off of. Good luck!

:wink:
We're lucky here in the bay area to have low minerals in our water;) Mind keying me in on the vendor that you found reliable?

skansen

#33: Post by skansen »

LObin wrote:So I guess we agree. In order to work on 15 amps NA plugs, manufacturers either reduce the HE wattage (or boiler size) or alternate boilers functions on DBs.
Yes, I agree. I have the same notion - manufacturers are avoiding 20 amps NA plugs... As a result, max power consumption is usually lower than 1800W, even for European 230V machines...
symbology wrote:I never ran into heating issues with my Mini VII or, my VII. It switches back and forth as it sees fit. I think it would only ever be an issue with those machines if you had someone pulling shots, and someone trying to steam at the same time. A single person running those machines would not run into any issues (IMO).
I agree.
Snow27118 wrote:I'm curious, after having had used both, would you prefer one over the other for daily at home use? I think the top three advantages are all things I'm after. I'm starting the think I like the idea of manual adjustment (pulling a lever, turning a knob, etc.) over the idea of pushing a button.
Both machines are great. BDB have manual mode (manual button). BTW now I'm waiting for parcel with Mara-X :)

downy_ball

#34: Post by downy_ball »

Snow27118 wrote:We're lucky here in the bay area to have low minerals in our water;) Mind keying me in on the vendor that you found reliable?
Chris' Coffee

:wink:
Next time someone's teaching, why don't you get taught..."

pcrussell50

#35: Post by pcrussell50 »

skansen wrote:Both machines are great. BDB have manual mode (manual button). BTW now I'm waiting for parcel with Mara-X :)
The stock BDB in manual pre infusion mode operates like a Slayer. You start the pre infusion, hold it as long as you like, then transition to regular extraction when you are ready. You essentially have "two speeds", high and low. Same with Slayer. Slayer does high and low with it's paddle, which is really just a switch, and BDB does high and low with buttons.

The modded BDB, and I am reluctant to call it a mod because all you are doing is switching around two tubes on the inside and capping off a third, uses a knob to set flow and is thus infinitely variable from the slowest trickle to full pump output. So it is not only a two speed affair, but anywhere in between as well. This mod uses a knob, not buttons. So it's more tactile.

HTH

-Peter
LMWDP #553

#36: Post by Snow27118 (original poster) »

Huh well it seems that I'm going to be diving into that more deeply. I found that Bed Bath and Beyond is selling the Black and Red BDB for 1,299.99. I discovered that forking up the 29.99 for their Beyond+ program knocked off another 20%! I couldn't get any coupons to work and the store isn't currently open here in the city to sweet talk them into applying the coupon for me. Right around 1k with Chase Freedom 4% cashback seems like a sweet deal. Especially with BBB gracious 6 month return policy should something go wrong.

I would like I would like to support a small Italian company continue to innovate. However, it just seemed like too good to pass up. If I decide to continue exploring other machines, I thought I could sell it at a small loss and explore another;)

chipman

#37: Post by chipman »

Just a note to a fellow bay area guy. We use the same water as you and I definetly need some kind of filtering. I have used Crystal Geyser from Mt Shasta since 2012. I have never had to descale. Before that the filtered tap water I used was problematic.

#38: Post by Snow27118 (original poster) »

Good to know! Thanks

#39: Post by Snow27118 (original poster) »

After adding the minima to my cart on Bella Coffee in the UK, the total came out to 1,032.50 euros or about $1,188 shipped. Basically the same price as the BDB ($1,128.39 with tax plus 29.99 for BBB Beyond +). Did I make a mistake with ordering a BDB? It still hasn't shipped....

Minima
https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/acs-mini ... chine.html

Also I posted the BDB on slickdeals if anyone is interested in checking out the details:
https://slickdeals.net/f/13925720-brevi ... t135621578

#40: Post by Snow27118 (original poster) replying to Snow27118 »

Well Bella Coffee only sells the EU version. Sad day oh well