Doserless Grinder For Home Use

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
wholemilklatte

#1: Post by wholemilklatte »

I've had the same setup for about 10 years, a Quickmill Anita (HX) and a Mazzer Mini. I've been thinking about upgrading or swapping those out off and on over the last couple of years but wasn't making any moves. I recently had the opportunity to acquire a second hand GS/3 AV which set things in motion.

Before getting the new machine I'd started thinking about moving to a doserless mostly for the sake of convenience. I just started seriously looking into it in the last couple of weeks now with the idea of getting the most out of my coffee.

I'm interested in a few features that i don't currently have with my mazzer (these seem to be pretty common):
- Easier grind adjustment to dial in shots (i hardly ever touch my mazzer mini because it's too much of a pita)
- Less waste / quicker / less stale coffee / more accurate grind volumes
- I want to be able to take better advantage of what my new machine has to offer - and mostly get more out of my espresso.
- The advantages of a larger burr size from the 58mm my mini has seem to be the way to go. flat or conical? i'm still learning.

Use will be at home (2 adults). 5-6 drinks a day, about 50:50 between milk drinks and shots.

I've just started looking around and have been finding some great information about the current grinder landscape. I guess i'm generally looking for recommendations that'll help my dial in my drinks and starting to develop a list of grinders to learn more about.

That list currently consists of:
- Eureka 65e --> Few auto options (no pulse/top-off), otherwise specs look good, grind adjustment looks exactly like what i want, but does anyone actually own one of these things? there's almost 0 discussion about them. the few things i've seen sound positive.
- Eureka 75e --> Is this too much machine for my relatively light use? same question about whether there are any of these out there.
- Compak S5 --> Good auto and adjustment options, not much information in the forums
- Mazzer Super Jolly E --> I'm not super excited about another mazzer tbh but this grinder seems to continue to be popular and well regarded. the grind adjustment options don't improve on what i have now.
- Mahlkonig K30 --> This is a bit over my budget but it's seems to be very well regarded.

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#2: Post by mivanitsky »

Some of those grinders will provide better grind than your Mini. None of them will substantially eliminate your retention concerns with the Mini.

wholemilklatte (original poster)

#3: Post by wholemilklatte (original poster) »

It seems like the most complete way to deal with retention is to go with a single dose only grinder. I haven't measured my mini but there's a decent amount of grind left in it when i'm done, i'd guess the others are going to be similar to a doserless mazzer?

Am i barking up the right tree with this set of grinders, anything i'm totally missing the boat on?

bas

#4: Post by bas »

I would suggest buying a Kinu M68. Big conical. Zero retention. Easy adjustment. Small effort due to the gear. Very well made. Not so big. Versatile. Affordable. But a hand grinder.

Otherwise the Olympus is a great choice especially with the Mythos burrs. It's big and not that nice. But it outperforms most grinders. For light roast perhaps the bench mark. Reasonable retention.

I like the Eureka Atom much as well. So silent.

Take a look at the Compak E5 as well.

To be honest a Baratza Sette is a superb performer. Relatively cheap. Fast. Clean. Fluffy. Clump free. Low retention. Easy to manage extractions. Etc. Just noisy, much plastic and long term reliability? So far I am enjoying it very much. Apart from build quality (Mazzer is hard to beat) the better grinder in every aspect compared to your mini. Without doubt.

erik82

#5: Post by erik82 »

Mazzer and MK will have a lot of retention (owned both). The Eureka 75E can be ordered with TiN Mythos burrs which makes it the best grinder under 1000 dollar in my eyes.

I really love the Olympus which is so accurate (the newest version) with the timer it's within 0.1-0.2gr 19 out of 20 and within 0.5gr the other time. With the Mythos burrs tastewise it's very good. It has only 2-3gr of retention.

sweaner

#6: Post by sweaner »

Get a deposit in on a Monolith...then start saving!
Scott
LMWDP #248

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#7: Post by mivanitsky replying to sweaner »

Monoliths or EG1 are the best choice by far for his criteria. I didn't bring them up before (and you know I would!) because all of the grinders specified in the OP were at a much lower price point.

I agree that at the sub $1000 range, Kinu M68 is the best value low retention single doser.

JonKitz

#8: Post by JonKitz »

I have used a friends super jolly and found it to be a pleasure to use. Solid construction goes a long way for me and it felt and operated as if it were a very heavy, yet very finely tuned, machine.

wholemilklatte (original poster)

#9: Post by wholemilklatte (original poster) »

Thanks all, these recommendations have been great. I'm chasing down details and reviews. For most of these there's way to see them in person before buying.

I'd love to get a Monolith or EG1 but while i have a difficult time ranking my priorities one of the things i want to get out of this is being able to make drinks pretty quickly. We have 2 small kids and in the morning it's like a hurricane around our house so i don't have much time to focus. On the weekends and afternoons it's a different story but i've got to prepare for the most common use case ;)

They're also a bit outside of what i wanted to spend.

I figured out a little more about the Eureka grinders, there's lots more info on some of the UK coffee sites. It's still a little bit surprising as it looks like they've been sold in the US for a year or 2 now but there's little mention of them. That said the Olympus (75e) with a 75mm Ti burr set seems to get a lot of consistently positive feedback, is the same physical size as the Zenith (65e) and costs just slightly more. I'm still looking around but am leaning towards the Olympus based on what i've been reading. There's only a single seller in the US that i can find too.

I want to like the Mazzers, but after using one for 10 years or so i'm looking for something else. The biggest deterrent for me is the grind adjustment, i want to dial it in for different beans but the fact of the matter is i just leave it alone because it's too much of a pain to move. That, and trying to keep old grounds out of the doser drive me nuts (i realize that wouldn't be a problem with a doserless model ;) )

I'm still digging around though, it's great seeing what all has changed with grinders over the last decade.

BaristaBoy E61

#10: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I want to like the Mazzers, but after using one for 10 years or so i'm looking for something else. The biggest deterrent for me is the grind adjustment, i want to dial it in for different beans but the fact of the matter is i just leave it alone because it's too much of a pain to move. That, and trying to keep old grounds out of the loser drive me nuts (i realize that wouldn't be a problem with a doserless model

We really like our Mahlkonig K30 Vario. I can't imagine a grinder that is easier to adjust the grind or programmed time. We also haven't found retention much of an issue either. If you're basically using one type of bean and are looking for a hopper fed grind on demand machine - this one is worth considering.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"