Doserless Grinder For Home Use - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Bossman

#11: Post by Bossman »

I can't imagine myself ever going back to the single dosing routine. I bought a K30 Vario some months back and it has been such a pleasure to deal with. All you have to do is a 1sec grind to purge retained grinds if it has been a while since your last use and then your good to go. I had a K10 WBC before my K30 and I told myself I would keep it and use both. I never used the K10 again and sold it.

I can't give the K30 high enough praise! You don't have to have it running when making grind adjustments (I verified this with my vendor and MK USA) so adjusting the grind is a 2 second job. Dosing is pretty accurate once its broken in. Grind is impeccable and taste in the cup is amazing.

erik82

#12: Post by erik82 »

I also owned a K30 Vario (it's truly a great grinder) and now the Eureka Olympus but would never want the K30 Vario back again (unless I would start a high volume cafe). The Olympus is as easy to use as the K30 but has half or less of the retention that the K30 has which makes it much more suitable for home use. Tastewise (quality of grind, consistency of grind and timer) the K30, in my eyes, doesn't beat the Olympus with TiN Mythos burrs.

The timer can be used with 0.05s increments. Dosing 10 shots will give 9 of them within 0.2-0.2gr and the other one within 0.4-0.5gr. And it costs far less then a K30 Vario. I also adjust grind-settings without powerking on the grinder and that works really well. Just purge a little afterwards and don't make to big of an adjustments but that's the case with almost all grinders.

lancealot

#13: Post by lancealot »

Ceado e6p owner. Owned it for 2 months. My first grinder like this. It does retain grounds so it misses that box. Not gonna be a single doser. 64mm burrs. Within the range you wanna pay. Quiet. Built well. 1/10th sec adjustment. Speed, about 9-10 sec for a 18gr double. My first shot every day goes in a latte so I use that shot to purge the retained beans and then I cant taste the difference for the rest of the day. We drink 2-4 doubles a day. The only time retention comes into play for me right now is when I make adjustments to the grind and timing.
This has a collar adjustment like your mazzer but it is smooth. I haven't used a mini but in the videos, adjustment seems to bind and jerk. None of that here. Portafilter holder is nice. No display so, that is a little weird in 2017 but it is one of the reasons I like it. You can interrupt the timed grind but you cannot resume it. You can pulse the motor and grind any quantity you want. The timed grinding is +/- 0.2gr usually with bigger swings and changes to the timer settings needed when you adjust the grind.
I bought it because of the grind quality, 64mm burrs at this price, build, low sound, timed dosing and lack of screen. Improvements I'd want in this order are: a small display that shows the grind time setting and less retention. There's a recent thread around here if you wanna take a look.
It really stinks that we cannot try these things before we pay so much for them :evil:

Bossman

#14: Post by Bossman »

erik82 wrote:I also owned a K30 Vario (it's truly a great grinder) and now the Eureka Olympus but would never want the K30 Vario back again (unless I would start a high volume cafe). The Olympus is as easy to use as the K30 but has half or less of the retention that the K30 has which makes it much more suitable for home use. Tastewise (quality of grind, consistency of grind and timer) the K30, in my eyes, doesn't beat the Olympus with TiN Mythos burrs.

The timer can be used with 0.05s increments. Dosing 10 shots will give 9 of them within 0.2-0.2gr and the other one within 0.4-0.5gr. And it costs far less then a K30 Vario. I also adjust grind-settings without powerking on the grinder and that works really well. Just purge a little afterwards and don't make to big of an adjustments but that's the case with almost all grinders.
Just curious, why do you think it has half the retention of the K30? The K30 seems to retain only 5-6g, so a 1sec purge removes it. Not sure how the Olympus would have half that? Or that it would even be a concern for that matter.

erik82

#15: Post by erik82 »

Because I took the top burr off of both grinder after grinding them empty and then measured all the grounds around the burrs, in the spout etc. I didn't measure static retention like under the burrs because that's stuck there and won't come out.

K30 was 6-8gr and Eureka is 2-3gr. Because of the larger housing the exit spout is longer and there is more ground coffee stuck betweek the burrs and the outer wall then there is with the Eureka. If the K30 didn't had this much retention I probably didn't sell it because it is a great grinder but don't underestimate the Olympus. Eureka is doing a great job building grinders.

wholemilklatte (original poster)

#16: Post by wholemilklatte (original poster) »

Follow-up question on the Eureka Olympus 75e.

I've found 2 different versions of this grinder available and i'm wondering about the pros and cons of each:

Previous Version (NOS):
- 900 rpm (as opposed to 1400 rpm on the current version)
- Stainless steel burrs (as opposed to TiN coated burrs on the current model)

I guess the question boils down to whether the slower RPM of the previous model is more worth while than not having the TiN coated burrs (or having to pay for the burrs down the road).

Those are the only differences as far as i can tell - for the previous version they have every color in available too (as long as it's grey) :D

erik82

#17: Post by erik82 »

The 900rpm version is a version that is a minimum of 2-3 years old and has non of the nice features that the new version has. It is long distontinued. The variantions in the timer will be much more, no more 0,3s min for a single but only 1s and up so grinding away the old grounds was a lot more work. I now purge 0,3s and then grind a double. With the older version you need to grind a minimum of 1s which is 5gr, then set the timer on the double lower to use a bit of the purged grinds to use them too. A lot more work.

I especially bought it because it had the Mythos burrs and I really like the taste they give with light roasted beans which I prefer. Bellabarista tested both and the Mythos burrs did gave better taste. Beware of retrofitting the TiN burrs because it won't work on the older models. They are thicker and you then have a grind adjustment ranging from turkish in the most coarse setting to blocking burrs somewhat finer.

A very good distributor here in the Netherlands tried it out for 3 days to try and lower the lower burr mount but that was impossible. He had a lot of contact about it with Eureka and eventually just ordered them from the factory with TiN burrs.

https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/pdf/EURE ... REVIEW.pdf

#18: Post by wholemilklatte (original poster) »

Thanks Erik that's great information. i'd found that review a couple of days ago and it provided the best summary of the Eureka grinders i've seen. I wasn't aware of the timing changes that have also been introduced.

The unit they reviewed was the 240v UK version running at 900rpm and they were very complimentary of it.

I went ahead and placed my order, i'm looking forward to the grinder and I'm relieved about being able to kiss the mazzer manual doser good-bye. I only wish i knew how many 10's of thousands of actions it'd seen. It's going to be on drip coffee duty

Let's see, i'll make up some average numbers that are probably pretty close.
- 3 shots a day, 7 days a week, 49 weeks a year, 10 years = 30870 shots (yikes)
- 15 thwacks of the doser per 18g shot = 463,050 (omg)

The madness stops now! (well, friday if UPS comes on time).

Cheers all, i'll start up a new thread once it arrives and i try to dial it in and park my mazzer across the kitchen - if anyone's interested

erik82

#19: Post by erik82 »

You're welcome. Forget the idea of using the Mazzer for drip coffee because it's useless for that. Those burrs are really designed for espresso and will give a nasty taste too all your brew unless you sieve the hell out of it.

Sell the Mazzer and buy a good hand grinder (Commandante, Lido, Kinu M47 etc.) for drip because they're soo much better for that.

#20: Post by wholemilklatte (original poster) »

The Olympus arrived and it's definitely larger than a Mazzer Mini. It looks like it's been decapitated from this angle.

Does anyone know the capacity of the Eureka short hopper? I've seen it published as .5#, .5kg, and, ~10oz