Does YouTube influence your buying decision - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Jazzcat (original poster)

#11: Post by Jazzcat (original poster) »

corffee_beanz wrote:As someone considering the bigstep, why are you glad you stayed away?
I bought 58.4mm Pullman barista tamper instead. In the uk I paid £90, while big step is £125, ie 30% more. With a Pullman basket I get clean edges end to end with 58.4mm. For me 58.55mm wasn't worth the extra cost, I don't think I would benefit much from it. Now, I think any 58.4mm would do just fine, eg barista hustle in the uk is £55, and cheaper than Pullman, however you cannot adjust the handle height on it.

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by buckersss »

I'm shocked that people say no. Frankly I question that and don't see how it's possible unless you don't watch YouTube at all, or have an iron clasp on the pursue strings.

lm always looking at what grinders, machines and roasters are out there. First and foremost I look at the specs. I read a lot of HB comments. But I also look for product reviews all the time on YT. Occasionally check Reddit. I also check what products are getting sold often on HB, if a product is good, why do people want to part with it?

A good review won't necessarily sway me more. Although some have come close (I bought and canceled an order for a niche). But a bad review will probably put me off. Often times I watch the review video to get an idea of product dimensions, build quality, etc. I'm looking for what is shown, that may not be discussed. A lot of people on YouTube aim to appease, and so I appreciate the reviewers who have a skeptical frame of mind (ie the polarizing Sprometheus).

A nice production studio is a bonus, but I still watch those who don't have one. There are some YouTubers who have great production, but there is hardly any deep dive into the product. Those are embarrassing, but it seems to generate traffic and money in their pockets so I understand where they are coming from. Then there are others like Brian and Hoon, whose production value is fairly basic, but they seem to know their stuff. Brian and Hoon's videos can be real tough for me to watch, I find I'm looking for one or two minute nuggets in a 30 minute video. Lance has it all and tops my list.

Advertisement
AuFinger

#13: Post by AuFinger »

buckersss wrote:I'm shocked that people say no. Frankly I question that and don't see how it's possible unless you don't watch YouTube at all, or have an iron clasp on the pursue strings.
Well, the framing of the question kind of makes one seem like a rube for saying yes. The OP seems to have an opinion here. :D

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by buckersss »

Agree, maybe I'm a rube.

jpender

#15: Post by jpender »

YT can be a valuable source of information as well as entertainment. But just like everything else you watch or read or hear you have to discriminate. The problem isn't YT. Pointing one's finger at it is too simplistic, too knee-jerk. it's a human thing.

Blernsball

#16: Post by Blernsball »

BodieZoffa wrote:Definitely don't get caught up in the YT/social media crap storm, as with most aspects of life it's opinion and not much else. It'd be hilarious for YT and others to stop the payouts and then you'd see just how many really want to offer what they think is educational/helpful info when they have to do it all on their own dime.
You want people to make content that makes a lot of money for google/YouTube and not get paid? What?

The idea that a professional is biased because they desire to get paid for their work is a bizarre take.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#17: Post by Milligan »

buckersss wrote:a bad review will probably put me off.
That is a good point. I'd say I'd be more influenced by a poor review than a good one. There isn't as much incentive for a YouTuber to do a bad review as there is to do a good review, so it would likely stand out more in my mind.

Advertisement
zefkir

#18: Post by zefkir »

The framing of the question doesn't make a lot of sense.

1. Even if you are skeptical about potential interest conflict, it would be unreasonable to say that it doesn't influence you whatsoever, especially if an obvious flaw is pointed out. Unless you don't watch youtube at all.

2. Youtube is a company, people watch selective youtubers. It doesn't make sense to treat it as a monolithic entity.

Which brings me to a personal conclusion, I trust a random youtuber as much as a random poster on HB or reddit, not much at all. But consider a youtuber whose video history I know, for whom I've had time to form an opinion of their potential biases, of their taste preferences... Then I trust them about the same as any other people on a forum or a discord server whose post history I know.

It just depends on what content they've produced, or what posts they've written. That is enough to form an opinion.

AuFinger

#19: Post by AuFinger »

Jaroslav wrote:Who's here after watching Lance's video about baskets? :)
It is timely. This is a good example. :lol:

I'm still using my OEM baskets and have wondered if it would make a difference, but analysis paralysis on what to buy. Lance knocked it out of the park and I just ordered a couple of Pullman baskets and a stack of filters to fit them. I think he's credible but maybe his method and conclusions are wrong? I don't know, but I do know there's no way I'm shelling out $1000 in baskets + testing equipment to find out. I'll just take his recommendation and spend the saved time, effort, and money for brewing espresso that I'll actually drink.

Does that make me a rube for listening to an "influencer?" Maybe, or just I'm not that deep into the hobby and willing to outsource some of the research and development.

Jaroslav

#20: Post by Jaroslav replying to AuFinger »

You gotta be kidding, I ordered a Pullman basket right after watching it as well! :)
Jaroslav