Does a "GOOD" electric drip brewer exist? Technivorm? Bonavita?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Time_Bandit

#1: Post by Time_Bandit »

I make predominantly French Press coffee, and looking to buy an espresso machine for another method of fine coffee.

But, there are times in the morning where I want to save some time. My French Press method is time consuming, and can take at least 15 min to get everything ready, sometimes 20 min. (I preheat the stainless press, carafe, boil water, grind beans, etc, etc)

I have been doing a little research on drip makers like the Technivorm, Bonavita, etc. Are any of those machines worth it for the days you want coffee with less effort / time? I know, blasphemy! But in the end I want the coffee to be good, and not just mediocre!! Other drip makers in the past I have owned were just not that great...

WSH

#2: Post by WSH »

So far, I'm very happy with the Bonavita. Brews 40 oz in under 6 minutes. Lots of people love the Technivorm and Brazen but I just wanted a hit the button, no frills, simple, fast, good, coffee maker. The Brazen had too many extra electronic features(durability?) I didn't really need or want. The Bonavita carafe model was a lot cheaper than the Technivorm, like half the cost! So, that's ultimately why I choose it. And I liked the looks of the Bonavita "shower head" better than the Technivorm's as well.

Dedicated timers are cheap too, if you need/want that function. And won't effect your ability to use the machine if it craps out.

Advertisement
Soapbox

#3: Post by Soapbox »

i am very happy with my http://www.behmor.com/brazen.php. There are a couple things people don't like such as: there tends to be condensation on both the reservoir lid and under the basket that drips when removing either. These issues are mute because of the flexibility and control of the machine.
Soapbox

Eastsideloco

#4: Post by Eastsideloco »

I owed my boss back rent, so to speak, for 6 weeks of free lodging at his cabin in Oregon a couple summers ago. I waited until the Behmor Brazen was released to send it to him as a thank you gift. The upgraded drip coffee maker is a big hit in his household.

[Soapbox, I believe the word you are looking for is moot, meaning "of little or no practical value; purely academic."]

Spitz.me

#5: Post by Spitz.me »

I am one of 'those' who has issue with some of the niggles of the BraZen. However, I am also one of 'those' who loves it. I'd sell my Chemex and various hand-drip contraptions in a heartbeat.
LMWDP #670

Time_Bandit (original poster)

#6: Post by Time_Bandit (original poster) »

Thanks all for the thoughts about the Brazen. More details welcomed (I like the technicals too ;-))!

Things I like about the Brazen from what I have read so far:

- The only high quality dripper that has a "pre-soak" and pre-infusion feature. Since I use freshly roasted beans, this (to me) is important due to the "off-gassing" needed when water first hits the bean. I do the same thing with my french press, and anyone who uses fresh beans and made coffee manually can attest to the importance of the offgas step!

- Stainless steel boiler / reservoir in one, and located close to the brewing compartment. No delivering the water through platic tubes, etc, through other parts to wet the coffee... does mean the machine is taller, but I am OK with that.

Things I don't like: I kinda wish it has a glass lined carafe option... although not a showstopper. I also am luke-warm with all the electronic / buttons - just means more to go wrong long term.

I will say the Technivorm is the one with all the reviews and has been around for ever - but is it really worth $299? All the extras that SCG throws in if you buy it says a lot about the profit margin on this. Also, Costco sells it for $230, again an indicator.

More thoughts welcomed...

darilon

#7: Post by darilon »

One of the biggest advantages to the Brazen is that it comes with legendary Behmor support. These guys are the bomb when it comes to taking care of the customer in my opinion. Now my perspective might be different than yours - when my used Behmor had a bad motor, I emailed them, they helped me diagnose the problem, asked if I felt capable to change the motor with a replacement (they sent instructions) and shipped me a replacement at a very reasonable price. For me, an item like the Behmor that sells at more like consumer appliance prices, this is excellent support.

Advertisement
yakster
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by yakster »

My thoughts on the BraZen are here:

Behmor Brazen « yakstr

I've modified my routine since the Wife switched it up to decaf, which I brew for her in a Clever. I'll get up and put the kettle on to brew her cup of decaf and use that water to pre-heat the BraZen carafe and my ceramic travel mug. When I've got her decaf in a travel mug, I'll use the hot water from the BraZen carafe to clean up the clever, grind the coffee (38 grams) add the water (600 ml, to the calibration line) and set the BraZen to brew on it's timer. This allows me to go upstairs and get ready for work and have the BraZen finish brewing about the time I come downstairs again. It also prevents pre-grinding coffee the night before.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

bobmccarthy

#9: Post by bobmccarthy »

The Technivorm makes excellent coffee, if you treat it like a powered Chemex system. The temp of the water is perfectly regulated as it has a water heater that is much - much larger than the normal drip brewer.

Put the ground coffee in the filter holder (with filter of course). Create a well just like you were doing a pour over.

Turn the machine on, but without the pot depressing the button interlock at the base of the unit.

With the filter cover off and the filter valve in the closed position, put the pot against the machine base to begin the flow of hot water. DO NOT walk away unless you like to cleanup your coffee bar.

When hot water covers the coffee in the filter, pull the pot about 1 inch away from brewing machine to stop the flow of water.

When your preinfusion time is complete, open filter valve to wide open, push pot to brewer to depress button, put cover over filter.

Walk away and do your thing, come back when you want a fine cup of coffee.

far harder to describe than to do.

bob

Time_Bandit (original poster)

#10: Post by Time_Bandit (original poster) »

Thanks Bob!! Have you ever tried other drip machines out there besides the Technivorm? Just curious...