Do you suffer from upgraditis? - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.

Do you suffer from upgraditis?

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes: 106

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#31: Post by RapidCoffee »

Bushrod wrote:How can it be both "terminal" and "not fatal" at the same time?
Many diseases are terminal but not fatal (life itself is a notable exception). Thus far my obsession ahem, passion for coffee hasn't killed me, and probably never will. But it's likely to be with me for the foreseeable future, along with equipment-related upgraditis. All part of the fun. :)
John

another_jim
Team HB

#32: Post by another_jim »

The Kony got the rep of being the "bright" grinder, with a more acidic taste profile than the others. I noticed this on some coffees, but not others. Despite the 62mm burrs, the Kony is a large grinder, larger than the 68mm Macap, and as large as the 68mm Fiorenzato or Compak. If you are looking for a more reasonable size, the Cimbali or small Macap conical are good. If you want ultra-consistency, the Robur or the 68mm conicals are the ticket.

Of the 68mm ones I tested (the others did not try these), the big Macap is underpowered enough to have a noisy, labored startup, but it has the best price. Judging by my comparisions and the parts lists at espresso supply houses, the 68mm conicals all have the same burr set, and this includes 4 or 5 models I didn't test. So if you are patient, you might find one at a bargain on Ebay. Otherwise, you might negotiate with the several vendors. I have no idea if there's any breaks on the Robur.
Jim Schulman

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
laservet

#33: Post by laservet »

Gaggia Classic --> ECM Giotto --> GS/3
Gaggia MDF --> Pasquini Moka --> Mazzer Mini --> Versalab M3

I'm done. :)

cannonfodder
Team HB

#34: Post by cannonfodder »

I have been lucky enough to have quite a few bits of kit pass through my hands. Allow me to make a few very broad generalizations. Espresso machines, you tend to get a relatively significant change in the cup and ease of use as you progress from the $500 range machine to the $1800 range. Once you enter that prosumer $1500-$2000 range your next upgrade will be quite large in cost but small in cup improvement. While using gear in that prosumer range, a grinder upgrade will get you more bang for the buck than another machine upgrade. Jumping from something like a Rocky or Mini to something like a Super Jolly, Max, Robur, Major, etc will get you a noticeable upgrade in the cup.

The next step will be out of the prosumer world and into the realm of single group commercial machines. That jump will take you from the $1800 machine into the $4000-7000 range. When most people make that commitment they already know what they like, what features they want and have a pretty sound understanding of the espresso art. That large jump does not equal the same kind of cup improvement you get when going from the $500 to $1800 class. What you are purchasing is a much smaller cup improvement but a quantum leap in convenience and repeatability. Long gone are the temperature surfing, milk steaming voodoo requiring rituals of the other machines. These guys will bang out the same cup quality shot all day long and do it with some relatively modest barista skills.

I have made that commitment and have a very capable single group and a couple of full on commercial grinders. I have no desire to upgrade my machine. I am also quite happy with my grinders, but if a Robur were to fall from the sky, I would not pass it up.
Dave Stephens

chipman

#35: Post by chipman »

I had to bring my Giotto to a repair man last night. Brought it to his house, and in his garage were no less then 25 bicycles hanging from his ceiling. It reminded me of the popular opinion on how many bicycles should an enthusiast own. The answer is, the number you have, plus one. I'm not saying you should have more then one machine, just that every hobby-sport is subject to this same "disease".

Walter

#36: Post by Walter »

Upgraditis - what be that? :mrgreen:

Retrospectively I know, that my Caravels or Pavonis are capable of producing as good and interesting shots as i.e. my Paddle FB/80 or the Vivaldi II...

Jester

#37: Post by Jester »

sweaner wrote:My problem is I don't upgrade, I add. I never sell the old stuff, it just accumulates in the basement!
Me too. And just today the wife yelled at me for my collection. Funny how they don't see it the way we do!

ECM Manufacture: @ecmespresso #weliveespresso
Sponsored by ECM Manufacture
Phaelon56

#38: Post by Phaelon56 »

My progression:

Cheap thermoblock DeLonghi and Waring whirly blade grinder for six months

Gaggia Baby and Solis Maestro for one year

Isomac Tea and Mazzer Mini for six years and still counting

I actually did "trade up" from the Mini but saved money doing it. Having stumbled across a source for good prices on used Mazzer grinders I bought and refurbed a Super Jolly then sold my Mini on eBay. I then flipped the Super Jolly for a major which I also refurbed.

The Mini was and is a great grinder and I would have kept it but

a) I have loads of counter space and no cabinets or height limitations above my espresso prep area
b) I turned a profit each time I upgraded grinders

I've definitely suffered upgrade-itis with some other stuff in the past. But the reality for me is that an upgrade at this point would buy me convenience (plumbed in rather than the pour-over I have now) and just a tiny bit more consistency (dual boiler with PID rather than an HX system).

Provided that I pay attention to detail, keep my gear properly maintained and continue to use practices that reduce variables (i.e. cooling flush, consistent distribution and tamping etc.) my shots are better than what I can ever get in most cafes. Not all but most. Truth be told... if I had really deep pockets I'd get a one or two group Synesso and a Robur for my kitchen. But I'm doing just fine with what I have.

roastaroma

#39: Post by roastaroma »

I'm a bit of an eccentric, I guess: in all likelihood my next macchina will be an old-fashioned spring-lever, not a semi-auto. So that's like going forwards and backwards at the same time! :lol:
"Non è la macchina, è la mano."
LMWDP #223

Psyd
Supporter ♡

#40: Post by Psyd »

Phaelon56 wrote: Truth be told... if I had really deep pockets I'd get a one or two group Synesso and a Robur for my kitchen.
I've discovered a cure (70% effective) for the Robur upgraditis:
1. Get one, in a box.
2. By yourself, unpack and load the Robur from the box to a nearby shelf.
3. Make an espresso with the Robur.
4. Taste it. Compare it with the results from your SJ, Mini, or Major
5. Go hug your SJ, Mini, or Major.
6. Live happily ever after.

Yer on yer own with the Synesso. That's prolly next on my list of drool as well.
I've got 220V, filtration, and plumbing, there is no reason not to use it!
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175