Do you suffer from upgraditis? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.

Do you suffer from upgraditis?

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes: 107

WilsonHines (original poster)

#11: Post by WilsonHines (original poster) »

Compass Coffee wrote:
Your analogy had a big problem I think all too common. With golf you got professional training before deciding on the equipment. Your story sounds like you decided on the espresso equipment, got no training, and expected the machine to produce great shots. The espresso machine is the least important factor!
I probably should have told more of that part of the story. Both the wife and I went to Counter Culture and spent the day in the Espresso 101 lab before we pulled the first shot. I found that Saturday spent with CCC absolutly invaluable and I wish they would let me take the second class, but it is for working baristas only. I wanted to go to Charlotte for Dilworth Coffee's barista jam, invited, but just couldn't make it last weekend.

Psyd

#12: Post by Psyd »

Does downgraditis count? I've seriously considered trading some local shops one of my Majors for one of their SJ's (usually their decaf grinder) straight across just to get something more 'manageable'. And the giant raised-group two-group that takes over most of my kitchen? I might trade that out for a decent rotary driven, plumbed, PID'd dual-boiler single-group, if the right one came along. I'm still looking to get my other machine's re-hab finished, and then I'll have a 220V *and* a 110V two-group! I may just make the 110V a travel machine...
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

espressme

#13: Post by espressme »

I sometimes (hah) suffer from the itch for better or fancier. To the present time I've gone from steam toy and Moka pot to Serious Hardware and Moka pot. If I can snag a good machine of any kind at a low price and improve it with elbow grease, I may. But, since I am getting closer to 70, and live alone, I am trying to find what suits me best before I downsize. As so many have pointed out, the final quality is at my end of the portafilter handle. :wink:
Cheers!
Richard
richard penney LMWDP #090,

#14: Post by WilsonHines (original poster) »

Psyd wrote:Does downgraditis count? I've seriously considered trading some local shops one of my Majors for one of their SJ's (usually their decaf grinder) straight across just to get something more 'manageable'....
I will make you a deal. How about my Mazzer Mini (NSF professional) which I will trade you and give you some "boot."

I am serious. The only thing I am really upgraditis about is the grinder. I really would like to have a Robur and one was offered to me for $1200 and it is hardly used, but I just can't swing that right now with private school tuition starting for two kids (k4 and K5) in a week AND my wife starting Nursing school at the community college.

In all reality, I am stupid for "wanting" to upgrade. It is ridiculous. That mini is really a fantastic grinder. Burrs are new and the speed is fair. But, I bet 83mm burrs are ridiculously fast! I am not looking for fast, as much as I am quality. I don't even know if going to the Major would help the quality.

EDIT:: And the Mazzer Mini has also had a value added package installed the Schectermatic Laboratories Schectermatic Shnozzola (tm) developed by the (in)famous Andy Schecter
( How to Tame a Messy Mazzer Doser )

http://wilsonhines.wordpress.com/2008/0 ... technique/

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by JohnB. »

I've had my Vivaldi/Macap for 8 months & have no interest in upgrading. Of course that was why I bought the Vivaldi in the first place; I wanted a machine I could be happy with for a long, long time.
LMWDP 267

Psyd

#16: Post by Psyd »

WilsonHines wrote:I will make you a deal. How about my Mazzer Mini (NSF professional) which I will trade you and give you some "boot."
I am serious. The only thing I am really upgraditis about is the grinder. I really would like to have a Robur
I dunno, a 'mini', hunh? I know the SJ, but the 'mini' sounds like barely a step up from the paired Rockys at my girlfriend's.
OTOH, I too, lusted after a Robur. Right up until the ESI kids asked me to help them unload one off the truck, and heft it up on the counter, for a jam. Imagine an over-sized German Shepard on your counter. Yeah. It is just like that.
I'll have to contemplate the mini thing for a while...
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

#17: Post by WilsonHines (original poster) »

but the 'mini' sounds like barely a step up from the paired Rockys at my girlfriend's.
Hey Psyd, you need to go to ESI's site and compare the measurements. It's hopper is slightly smaller. Holds a good 1.5 lbs I think and it's body is just a tad bit shorter than the SJ. The burrs are slightly smaller, by 10mm, than the SJ, therefore it's production is slightly smaller. Usually takes me about 12 seconds to pull the necessary grinds for a triple basket.

Like I said, I have been extremely happy with it. I just WANT something bigger. Just like you kinda WANT something smaller. When I first heard of a Mazzer Mini, I thought the same thing: "something like a Rocky." But, this thing is just as serious as the SJ and makes just as good a grind.

CoffeeOwl

#18: Post by CoffeeOwl »

YEEEES!

I want Elektra A Leva Chrome AND WIFE :D

edit:
but I have to add, that no way I would sell Vivaldi. I don't even have the fever for preinfusion (but probably would get it if it was not overseas matter). Elektra is really cute, yet for now my little new toy (Arrarex) completely satisfies my curiosity and adventure-hunger.
'a a ha sha sa ma!

LMWDP #199

Randy G.

#19: Post by Randy G. »

Do I suffer from upgraditis? No- I enjoy it immensely!

Buying a machine out of your normal price range and needs is also a cure... a VBM DS and Kony, if not a cure, is certainly a viable immunization that should last quite a long time... My current thoughts are to plumb the thing in... we shall see.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Cathi

#20: Post by Cathi »

I'm always thinking about the next best thing (ie better grinder or plumbed in machine). But there is still a lot of learning and tweaking I can do with what I have. Its not that I'm dissatisfied with Ms. Anita and Miz. Cremina (yes a MIZ to be sure), but its my nature to be on the lookout. Dumb, I know.
Cathi
LMWDP #113