Do You Miss Your Spaziale S1?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
CantinaCoffee
Sponsor

#1: Post by CantinaCoffee »

I'm considering 'upgrading' from my 2006 La Spaziale Vivaldi S1. I've owned it about 6 years, and it's been a great machine, but it's the only espresso machine I've used, and I'm curious to try something different. I'd like to experience a 58mm machine and potentially some new features like flow control and programmable pre-infusion. I've read of people who upgraded to other machines and were happy, but I'm wondering if anyone has found their shiny new machine to be more of a sidegrade or downgrade? After all, the S1 has some unique features like the programmable buttons, brew lights, 53mm portafilter, etc...

Any regrets from former Spaziale owners? :?: :?:

CoffeeMac

#2: Post by CoffeeMac »

No regrets so far. Had a Vivaldi for about the same period of time. Then I got a Robot and started really enjoying lever espresso, not just the taste and texture, but also the silence and tactile nature of the process. I did miss having one box that would make the espresso and steam the milk, so I've ordered a Londinium Compressa - keep the silent lever experience, but gain one box that does everything I want plus gain better control and repeatability of process. Not to mention 58mm accessories.
Eventually you will end up with a lever.

LMWDP #706

jmotzi

#3: Post by jmotzi »

I moved last year from a plumbed in 2013 LaSpaziale Dream to an Olympia Cremina. I have no regrets. I had the Spaz for 7 years - it was/is a nice machine and one can pull shots continuously all day if so desired. The Cremina is a more tactile experience, takes up so little space and I enjoy the process. While I was very happy with Spaz, I did my run with the 24/7 ready to go plumbed-in walk-up machine and now enjoy the simpler machine life.
LMWDP #662

CantinaCoffee (original poster)
Sponsor

#4: Post by CantinaCoffee (original poster) »

Thanks for the feedback -- interesting that both of you switched to lever machines. I hadn't really considered that route, but it's got me thinking now!

CoffeeMac

#5: Post by CoffeeMac »

The Robot is an excellent gateway to the lever world. I had both it and the Vivaldi at the same time for a while. But after I hadn't turned on the Vivaldi for a month I decided I could live without it and sold it.
Eventually you will end up with a lever.

LMWDP #706

jmotzi

#6: Post by jmotzi »

CantinaCoffee wrote:Thanks for the feedback -- interesting that both of you switched to lever machines. I hadn't really considered that route, but it's got me thinking now!
The only reason to switch from LaSpaziale would be to try another principle such as lever OR to move to a more standard 58mm portafilter size (think Linea Mini or Decent). Otherwise it's difficult to get to a better machine without spending twice the money or more. That's my biased opinion.
LMWDP #662

blondica73

#7: Post by blondica73 »

I switched to a LMLM but kept both machines. I like them both. :-)
I love the steam power on the LMLM and the fact that I can turn it on using the app. My only gripe with the S1 is the ability to turn it on with anything but pushing the on button for 3 seconds.

CantinaCoffee (original poster)
Sponsor

#8: Post by CantinaCoffee (original poster) replying to blondica73 »

Thanks for the input. Do you find that it's easier to get consistently great shots on the LMLM?

drill_and_phil
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by drill_and_phil »

I don't use a LMLM everyday, but my parents miss some of the day-to-day convenience their Mini Vivaldi II offered - volumetric shots, more forgiving of technique, and getting the cups really hot. They love their LMLM, especially the steaming, but greatly enjoyed their La Spaz and are not sure if the LMLM was worth the hefty premium. I use a Mini Vivaldi II and love it, and have dabbled with spring levers and manual levers as well as a BDB and came back the the Mini Vivaldi II as well.
LMWDP #661

Jeff
Team HB

#10: Post by Jeff »

I owned an Anita for 15 or so years. I often regretted not having the funds at the time to buy a La Spaz DB. I knew within 5 years that I wanted more. Easier workflow with no flush and watching the EricS thermometer was a big drive. So was variable preinfusion. Until recently, I never found an affordable machine that could give me enough of a boost to justify the price. The GS3 MP was too expensive. The Bianca started me looking again as I seemed to do every few years. My eventual choice in machines fit my temperament and stretched my budget. It also stretched my appreciation for the possibilities of lighter roasts as my success ratio went from 50/50 to "if it doesn't taste good, it wasn't meant for espresso". Is my medium-dark espresso that much better with a new machine? Not a couple thousand dollars' worth.

Standing proudly next to my computerized espresso extraction system is a Robot. It's a wonderfully enjoyable way to make espresso. A completely different experience, with delicious results in the cup. I think it's a great way to explore the possibilities and have some fun at the same time.

The La Spaz is a great machine and unless there is something specific you don't like, continue to enjoy it!