Do You Miss Your Spaziale S1? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
daveR1
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by daveR1 »

jmotzi wrote:The only reason to switch from LaSpaziale would be to try another principle such as lever OR to move to a more standard 58mm portafilter size (think Linea Mini or Decent). Otherwise it's difficult to get to a better machine without spending twice the money or more. That's my biased opinion.
that's the conclusion I reached when I went from an e61 to my Spaz Dream a few years ago.

daveR1
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by daveR1 »

blondica73 wrote:I switched to a LMLM but kept both machines. I like them both. :-)
I love the steam power on the LMLM and the fact that I can turn it on using the app. My only gripe with the S1 is the ability to turn it on with anything but pushing the on button for 3 seconds.
One of the reasons I went with the Dream over the Vivaldi was the built-in timer where I can set on/off times for each day of the week. That & the ability to save user profiles with separate brew & steam temps & different volumetrics

Advertisement
CantinaCoffee (original poster)
Sponsor

#13: Post by CantinaCoffee (original poster) »

Thanks for all the feedback!

I'm thinking of an ECM Synchronika or Profitec pro 700 because I'm curious to try something with a 58m portafilter plus the flow control option seems interesting and useful. I also highly value serviceability since I normally do all the maintenance and repairs myself, and those machines appear to be well built and easy to work on.

It seems like the main benefit of those machines would be features / styling / compatibility with accessories, and not much of a difference in the quality of drinks that they're able to produce. That being said, I like large, strong drinks and I think that the 58mm basket may work better for that. I read a post from someone at Astoria saying that they use the 53mm basket because it works much better for 7 gram single shots (Italian style) and also 14 gram shots, but no bigger. Considering that I'd like to get closer to 18-20grams, I think I may have better results with a 58mm machine. Is it worth dropping a few thousand dollars to make that happen? Probably not......

SandraF

#14: Post by SandraF »

I bought my Synchronika in February and so far I like it a lot. I bought a bottomless portafilter at the same time so I can watch my shots and get feedback. I've upgraded the OEM basket & shower screen to IMS nanotechnology, and just bought the LeverCraft distribution tool. All of those were purchased about a month apart from each other, and experience with each proved minor, but cumulative improvement in my shots.

Of course, this is coming from someone who had a Starbucks Rio Vaporé (Barista) single boiler, dual use machine in the mid 1990's.

blondica73
Supporter ❤

#15: Post by blondica73 »

CantinaCoffee wrote:Thanks for the input. Do you find that it's easier to get consistently great shots on the LMLM?
I like the LMLM's simplicity and the 58 mm basket, more toys fit it. My S1 is highly modified and does pressure profiling; I still use it to experiment with coffees.

michael

#16: Post by michael »

My first real espresso machine, lots of fun but can't say I miss the 53mm or the coarse C temp adjustment 8)

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by JohnB. replying to michael »

Same here, my S1V2 was a 2009 model. My biggest complaint back then was a lack of basket choices. Moved to a saturated group 58mm machine that I had lusted after when a good deal came up. No regrets.
LMWDP 267

Advertisement
daveR1
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by daveR1 »

michael wrote:My first real espresso machine, lots of fun but can't say I miss the 53mm or the coarse C temp adjustment 8)
Another reason why I went with the Dream - it can be set to F. in 1 deg increments

db01

#19: Post by db01 »

CantinaCoffee wrote:That being said, I like large, strong drinks and I think that the 58mm basket may work better for that. I read a post from someone at Astoria saying that they use the 53mm basket because it works much better for 7 gram single shots (Italian style) and also 14 gram shots, but no bigger. Considering that I'd like to get closer to 18-20grams, I think I may have better results with a 58mm machine. Is it worth dropping a few thousand dollars to make that happen? Probably not......
In light of the above, consider adding the Cafelat Robot to your list: it does not break the bank in the same way the other candidates do, it has a 58 mm basket and it deals well with large doses.

I too wanted to see what the 58mm hype was about and after going in circles many times went down the manual route with a Cafelat Robot. There is a learning curve to manual lever espresso making, but it is worth it. I still use my Mini Vivaldi regularly when at home, especially as it is so ingrained in my morning routine when I am more pressed for time.

Goldscalpel

#20: Post by Goldscalpel »

I had mine for !2 years until it finally died. Absolute beast of a machine!