Ditting KFA1003 for espresso

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
fredgab

#1: Post by fredgab »

Hi guys,

Has anybody of you tried single dosing a Ditting flat burr grinder for espresso?

I read a lot of post about bunzillas and dittings but couldn't figure out a good answer.

Want to try something different than my Monolith conical without going the ek43 way.

I found a really good deal on a good condition ditting with 100mm burrs and was wondering if it's worth the hassle or not at all.

Cheers,

fred
LMWDP #596

boost

#2: Post by boost »

i think Ditting are really underrated here. I am single dosing on my 804 and it has quite low retention.
Some burr are more brew oriented and might not grind fine enough for espresso. I'm not familiar with 100mm burr if there is enough material left SSP can resharpen it. Or maybe you should mount EK burr :D

Advertisement
kwantfm

#3: Post by kwantfm »

I have a KFA903 and it works extremely well for espresso.
LMWDP #602

fredgab (original poster)

#4: Post by fredgab (original poster) »

Nice, I see you also own monolith...

I think I'll try it and see what comes out of it.
LMWDP #596

kolu

#5: Post by kolu »

I've also run successful shots of espresso with Ditting 804, only the adjustment mechanism wasn't really so consistent (we were switching between aeropress and batch brew grind size during the day in café) - I mean even though I marked the wheel it produced slightly different brew everytime, maybe the mechanism wasn't built for such precision required for espresso.

summer

#6: Post by summer »

I've no problems single dosing espresso with my 804 (new Ditting burrs). I find the retention acceptable, but would not recommend switching back and fourth between espresso and brew, as some brew pacticles tend to end in the espresso.
The taste of the espresso it produces is another matter - I think maybe the espresso from the new Ditting burrs is too unimodal for my taste, but YMMW. :roll:

boost

#7: Post by boost »

I agree with not going back and forth with brew and espresso setting since there is no way to easily clean the grinding chamber sort of taking the knocker mechanism off.

The old cast burr actually works better as espresso I think, the new 804 Lab Sweet is actually based on the old cast burr. The new machined burr doesnt seem to have fine enough adjustment range for espresso. However there are a lot of options for burr, Peak burr, EG1 or even SSP has all purpose burr that works really well for espresso.

I think the entire ditting range is really underrated, yes they are quite expensive new but used can usually be had for fraction of the price.

Advertisement
samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by samuellaw178 »

summer wrote:The taste of the espresso it produces is another matter - I think maybe the espresso from the new Ditting burrs is too unimodal for my taste, but YMMW. :roll:
Jon,

Do you mind sharing more detail on the taste characteristic from the Ditting burrs? I am currently using a Ditting 804 with what I suspect is R80 burrs (got it second hand). I really like how the shots came out (typically sweeter and with less sharp acidity than Monolith), but have been wondering if I am missing out and whether it's worth forking out $400AUD ( :shock: ) to try the machined Ditting burrs.

On the topic, I am single dosing KR804 as well for espresso. It works well enough. I did also feel that the Ditting is not as consistent as the Monolith Conical going back and forth different grind settings (Aeropress and espresso), but still sufficiently repeatable when working with minor adjustments (within espresso).

fredgab (original poster)

#9: Post by fredgab (original poster) »

Does anybody of you know if it's possible to convert a 380v ditting to 220-230?
The kfa I was eyeing is 380 configured..

Cheers,

fred
LMWDP #596

boost

#10: Post by boost »

You will need single phase to 3 phase converter, it is not cheap.