Distilling Water at Home?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jxyz
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by jxyz »

I recently bought a Decent DEPRO1 and I'm using distilled water with 3rd wave for my espresso water. Right now it's fine and easy to use the 1 gallon jugs since the 3rd wave stuff is portioned for that, but I really dislike using plastic jugs of purchased water. I went looking on Amazon for a home distiller, but mostly it seems to be the same electric distiller. Is there a setup or kit that you all can recommend so I can make my 1 gallon with my stovetop or similar? Thanks!

NicoNYC

#2: Post by NicoNYC »

There's no reason you couldn't use a pot still designed for distilling alcohol on a stove. Basically they have a sealed pot with a pipe that exits, passes through cooling coils in cold water, and collects the condensate in a vessel.

Keep in mind though that distilling water is very energy intensive. Not only do you have to bring the water to a boil, but you have to keep adding energy for the phase change to vapor, and water has quite a high heat capacity. It may be worth running the math to make sure your energy bill won't go through the roof.

On an industrial scale, distilling is done with a mix of heat and vacuum which reduces the energy requirements considerably.
LMWDP #718

SteveRhinehart

#3: Post by SteveRhinehart »

I use a Zero Water pitcher, which gets 0 TDS water for up to around 20-30 gallons (depending on the tap water used) per cartridge. I then remineralize with TWW espresso formula at 0.9 g per gallon.

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

Whole Foods here sells RO/DI bulk at $0.49 a gallon. At $0.30/kWh, distilling doesn't make sense for me.

(ZeroWater pitcher is the "oops, forgot to pick some up" back-up plan.)