Discount on preorders of Lyn Weber EG-1 - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
canuckcoffeeguy

#31: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

I'm envious of all you soon-to-be EG1 owners. The price in Canadian pesos is too high right now. Our dollar is in the toilet.

What kind of burrs are in the EG1 again? Are they the Compak R120 burrs? Or something different?

[creative nickname]

#32: Post by [creative nickname] »

Here is the description from their website:
LWW wrote:The EG-1 is built around an 80mm flat burr set chosen for its uni-modal grind characteristics. Our burrs are titanium carbo-nitride (TiCN) coated to increase hardness, extend longevity and lower coefficient of friction. The TiCN coating minimizes ground retention by reducing the effects of static when grinding. In normal use, the burrs are rated for over 10,500kg of throughput, with performance varying based on bean type, roast and operating conditions.
They don't say who is manufacturing the burrs, or identify them as being used in any other grinders. But we can rule them out as the R120 burrs based on size (80mm v. 120mm).
LMWDP #435

ds

#33: Post by ds »

[creative nickname] wrote: They don't say who is manufacturing the burrs, or identify them as being used in any other grinders. But we can rule them out as the R120 burrs based on size (80mm v. 120mm).
They look exactly as Compak R-80 burrs, but its likely they are not actually made by Compak, i.e. burrs from R-80 since those are very expensive... Although I don't know who else would make them so...

canuckcoffeeguy

#34: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

[creative nickname] wrote:Here is the description from their website:

They don't say who is manufacturing the burrs, or identify them as being used in any other grinders. But we can rule them out as the R120 burrs based on size (80mm v. 120mm).
Ok thanks, I was out to lunch. Not sure why I thought the EG1 burrs were larger.

Could they be the Peak burrs?

Shife

#35: Post by Shife replying to canuckcoffeeguy »

Not Peak. Those are castings that are finish ground. Word on the street is that these are R80 burrs with a TiCN coating.

Compass Coffee

#36: Post by Compass Coffee »

Ellejaycafe wrote:How do you plan to use this in a commercial setting? I would imagine it would make an amazing cupping grinder. I know you guys use mainly conicals for espresso. Maybe relegate to doing SO straight shots? Will be interesting to see how it's actually used in a busy shop.
We already run 2 SO grinders in addition to Delirium grinder. (Delirium grinder main coffeehouse recently replaced with Mythos Clima Pro) EG-1 may get used some for one off straight shots but likely mostly for manual brew and later Steam Punk (when we get it) replacing Bunnzilla. EK43 stays in use for Fetco & customer bag grinding. Actual use will be who knows!
Mike McGinness

ds

#37: Post by ds »

Shife wrote:Not Peak. Those are castings that are finish ground. Word on the street is that these are R80 burrs with a TiCN coating.
If they are indeed R80 burrs, I have no clue why would you ruin perfectly good high quality expensive burrs with TiCN coating. Because to TiCN coat they have to blast them and as soon as you blast them they are not going to work or behave the original burrs are designed to. Its also dulling the cutting surfaces :roll:

HBchris

#38: Post by HBchris »

I believe TomC had mentioned in his review of the prototype,the need to WDT to get clean pulls with a naked portafilter (unless there would be channeling). Did Lyn address this, anything in the production version change this?

shadowfax

#39: Post by shadowfax »

I believe that the RDT and some redistribution mechanism are required.

See this post about the blind shaker, though:
TomC wrote:So now, all you do is grind directly into it and put a lid on it and set it aside (for the commercial folks) or for the home user, just put it right onto your portafilter after giving it a quick shake, and your coffee is dosed level and well homogenized into the basket and ready to tamp. I brought it home and tried it out, and the extractions are dead on even, no spritzing or unevenness, just one long brown stream of espresso.
It sounds like the blind shaker, which is included with the grinder, is a suitable and likely faster substitute for the WDT.

Who knows if there will be some manufacturing changes to ameliorate the issues; I would expect to do one or the other.
Nicholas Lundgaard

malling

#40: Post by malling »

I'm not really surprised that the grinds need to be shaken/stirred before dumping it into a portafilter, such technique seem to be essential with most bulk/so grinders.

The blind shaker seem to simplify this process a bit, a welcome addition, and might be worth to get for those who dos not own an eg-1 but one of those monstrous bulk