Diminishing returns at $1600 vs $2600 espresso machine? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
PeetsFan

#11: Post by PeetsFan »

Arafel wrote:If you go with the Duo, keep in mind you need a 20 amp circuit to get the most out of it. Otherwise, you can't heat both boilers at the same time.
20Amps is better, but if you use 15A, the setting makes it ping-pong between heating the two boilers, if needed. So initial startup is slower but recovery is about the same. No user intervention involved.

jmotzi

#12: Post by jmotzi »

croikee wrote:...paypal has a six month no interest option...Thoughts?
Whatever you buy, I recommend buying only what you can with the money you have now. It's only coffee after all :wink:
LMWDP #662

croikee (original poster)

#13: Post by croikee (original poster) replying to jmotzi »

Not worried, we don't make dumb investments :) I have a good work perk that is funding this.

In further research, I'm curious for thoughts on this?

Elisabeth combo with Mazzer mini b v2 ($1099). That grinder appears to get great reviews, is similar to what I used in the caffe. Everyone I speak to says the elisabeth can pull amazing shots, so if I up my budget anywhere, I can up a couple hundred for the grinder.

Jeff
Team HB

#14: Post by Jeff »

At least 10 years ago, I found the Mazzer Mini to be inferior to the original Vario and definitely to a better conical like the original Pharos or Compak K10 WBC on what was probably medium and medium-dark roasts.

If you're willing to do some mods and possibly buy better burrs, the DF64 seems like a modestly priced option before getting into grinders close to US$2,000. James Hoffmann just reviewed it and I found his comments and comparison to the Niche Zero (which I own) insightful.