Dialing in new Mahlkonig EK 43S for espresso

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Detour101

#1: Post by Detour101 »

I have read few discussion of EK43 dial in shots for espresso, comments are difficult to dial in, and you have set almost to zero, its not meant for espresso use, the shots are clean, and not ideal for milk based drinks, this probably the feedback on EK43. does it apply to the new EK43S? I believe the Mahlkonig make the EK43S with the home user in mind, but not sure if they have changed anything in terms of the burrs or tight range of dial in for the espresso ? anyone already using the new EK43S for espresso? does it really taste clean and not ideal for milk based drinks.. like latte?

chrisbodnarphoto

#2: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

Same grinder, smaller footprint. :)

Prescott CR

#3: Post by Prescott CR replying to chrisbodnarphoto »

If it aint broke, make it a little smaller. Right? :)

Has anyone gotten the new version of the EK yet? Saw some chatter here about it but that's about it, just talk.

I'm very interested in this grinder.
-Richard

namelessone

#4: Post by namelessone »

I have the EK43 S, but with SSP burrs. I haven't tried it for espresso yet, but it should be able to do it. My burrs are calibrated to just touch at 0, and a setting like 0,2 - 0,5 looks fine enough for Turkish coffee to me. The new buttons are quite nice and satisfying, other than that I don't think there's a whole lot new? The dial also goes from 0 to 16 instead of to 11.

Detour101 (original poster)

#5: Post by Detour101 (original poster) »

0.2 to 0.5 is almost touching the ground... is this meaning EK left very small range of fineness for adjustment for espresso

namelessone

#6: Post by namelessone replying to Detour101 »

0.2 - 0.5 is for Turkish Coffee, not espresso. Espresso would be 1 to 3 I believe? I'm using #9 for Kalita Wave.

russel

#7: Post by russel replying to namelessone »

Do you understand that the numbers have no actual meaning? Grind level will vary widely based of bean, roast, brew environment, shot style, roast age, bean temperature, ambient humidity...sharing these numbers is next to meaningless. I may sound a bit snippy, but letting go of numbers and recipes is really important when trying to developer your brew/extraction skills.

If you must have numbers, take them from the beans and the brew (not the equipment).
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

namelessone

#8: Post by namelessone replying to russel »

Well, the question was if it can grind fine enough for espresso, so yes in my instance it can. Grind level doesn't change that much between beans / age etc, only minor adjustment, from my experience.

cebseb

#9: Post by cebseb »

Detour101 wrote:I have read few discussion of EK43 dial in shots for espresso, comments are difficult to dial in, and you have set almost to zero, its not meant for espresso use, the shots are clean, and not ideal for milk based drinks, this probably the feedback on EK43. does it apply to the new EK43S? I believe the Mahlkonig make the EK43S with the home user in mind, but not sure if they have changed anything in terms of the burrs or tight range of dial in for the espresso ? anyone already using the new EK43S for espresso? does it really taste clean and not ideal for milk based drinks.. like latte?
It solely depends on the burrs you are using. Currently, I'm using a set of SSP tungsten burrs that behave how one would expect an ek43 would. Ek shots, 25-30 seconds and a 1:3 ratio. Clean and thin with little body. If I wanted to pull a more classical presenting espresso for milk drinks, I would have to grind finer, preinfuse at 1 bar for 30 seconds then let the shot run for another 45 to get a 1:2 ratio to get more body. Previously, I kept a set of older and dull ek43 burrs on the other side of my EKK43 to pull classic espresso. The shots behaved just like any other shot pulled from any grinder out there. Full-bodied and a lingering mouthfeel. I suspected that it had to do with the amount of fines being produced by the dull burrs since the beans were likely being crushed than cut.

bakafish

#10: Post by bakafish »

namelessone wrote:I have the EK43 S, but with SSP burrs. I haven't tried it for espresso yet, but it should be able to do it. My burrs are calibrated to just touch at 0, and a setting like 0,2 - 0,5 looks fine enough for Turkish coffee to me.
My EK43S with stock coffee burrs are calibrated to just touch at 0 as well and can grind for espresso at 1.5. The new coffee burrs make it works like a traditional espresso grinder, no more EKspresso.