Decent vs La Marzocco Linea Micra (or Mini) - Page 5

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
acg
Supporter ♡

#41: Post by acg »

If only Decent introduces a paddle to control the extraction...

ira
Team HB

#42: Post by ira »

I've not done it, but my understanding you can drag your finger around the edge of the touch sensor on the group to control flow in real time, so while it's not a lever, you can certainly simulate the effect of a paddle.

Coastie44

#43: Post by Coastie44 »

luca wrote: Another worthwhile discussion is probably how you go about servicing these machines.
Yes, especially since there was implication earlier in the thread that the Decent is somehow not durable. I am actually very impressed with Decent's approach. They recognize that "things will fail" and designed in serviceability (all water lines are color coded for length and can be purchased easily on Amazon), and designed out expensive known failure modes (location of PCBs is within a moisture controlled and positive pressure internal case).

As well, they are extremely proactive and agile in their offering, transparently making impactful changes such as the upcoming gasket re-design. It's exactly what I would want to do myself if I somehow was in their shoes.

DISCLAIMER: I do not own a Decent but ordering one in the morning. :D

caeffe

#44: Post by caeffe »

ira wrote:I've not done it, but my understanding you can drag your finger around the edge of the touch sensor on the group to control flow in real time, so while it's not a lever, you can certainly simulate the effect of a paddle.
I've tried this after I set up a shot with a finer grind than usual (I changed beans from a dark roast to a lighter roast) that was "choking", I was able to see that the flow rate dropped to less than 0.5 ml/s... used my finger to increase the pressure momentarily allowing the flow rate to increase and was able to still get a "Decent" shot :lol:
LMWDP #162
★ Helpful

HH

#45: Post by HH »

acg wrote:If only Decent introduces a paddle to control the extraction...
As Ira has mentioned, they already have introduced a paddle design into the Group Head Controller itself. It works really well to adjust shots in the fly or go fully manual and use it like a lever.

acg
Supporter ♡

#46: Post by acg »

It's probably against Decent's design principles but a virtual control does not feel the same as a physical paddle.

TallDan

#47: Post by TallDan »

I can't imagine that there are many buyers who want a paddle but would be happy with the tablet interface for other functions.

null

#48: Post by null »

Spitz.me wrote:Edited for clarity.... :roll:

These Decent comparison threads always turn into rage farms for people who don't like the Decent.

This is well said. I'm lucky enough to have a GS/3 and DE1 in different cities. I think the only people comparing them are people who haven't gotten to use both (or either). They are so radically different that it almost defies comparison.

I will say that the LM is an absolute pleasure to wake up and use. The Decent is quite buggy by comparison (meaning troubleshooting is required once or twice a week).

Both yield espressos I'm happy drinking and better than what's locally available at any cafe. When making milk drinks, I would much rather do it on the DE1 because the GS/3 steam facility is too powerful, even when throttled.

As someone else already said on the forum, it is very much like comparing a Porsche to a Tesla. You're likely not going to use them for the same purpose. So my advice to anyone making a Decent vs X comparison would be figure out what you're trying to do first. If you want to make coffee reliably on a machine that will outlive you, get an LM. If you want to nerd out tweaking brew parameters all day, get a Decent.

Plinyyounger
Supporter ♡

#49: Post by Plinyyounger »

Just curious what types of bugs you have on a weekly basis? I've never had such issues.
Family, coffee and fun.

HH

#50: Post by HH »

I also don't seem to have any bugs, even despite running nightly.

...I've jinxed it now haven't I? I'm going to wake up tomorrow and my DE1 will rickroll me when I try to make an espresso