Decent Tamping Cradle

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
caffeineme
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by caffeineme »

Hey all....

Just pinging to see if anyone has experience with a Decent Espresso Tamping Cradle?? i.e., https://decentespresso.com/sale

It's currently on sale for 30% off at $55 for their "defect" version.

I'm currently using a bottomless PF on a tamping mat and find some coffee grinds "sticking" to the mat. Basically have to wash it daily after cleanup and let it dry, but was thinking of an alternative with the Decent tamping cradle, by just running it through water. If you have one, is it easy to clean?

Other options are:
ECM Tamp Stand https://clivecoffee.com/products/ecm-tamper-station
Barista Space Tamp Station https://www.baristaspace.com/collection ... ristaspace

Anyone have comments with these other options?

JonF

#2: Post by JonF »

I have the Decent cradle but no experience with others. Like their other products, it's a very sturdy, clever design. The design includes a slot if you are using a spouted portafilter. There is a nice indentation on the other end to store the tamper. The bottom is rubber, and somewhat non-skid. But it picks up grounds off the counter top. Easy to wipe off, however.

caffeineme (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by caffeineme (original poster) »

JonF wrote:I have the Decent cradle but no experience with others. Like their other products, it's a very sturdy, clever design. The design includes a slot if you are using a spouted portafilter. There is a nice location on the other end to store the tamper. The bottom is rubber, and somewhat non-skid. But it picks up grounds off the counter top. Easy to wipe off, however.

<image>

<image>
Is the inside of the Decent cradle a rubber material? If so, grounds will probably stick to that too. Same problem I'm having with the mat.

JonF

#4: Post by JonF »

H! The inside is metal. The metal forms the sides and top. The bottom is thick rubber. So excess grounds might collect on the bottom rubber with time. But they do not fall on the counter, and are easy to wipe out.

Supporter ♡

#5: Post by caffeineme (original poster) »

Jon,

Thank you for taking the time to show this! Certainly is a nice looking cradle!

mallen4248

#6: Post by mallen4248 »

I have the Barista Space version. I think it is an exact duplicate of the ECM at a cheaper price. I really like it MUCH better than my Cafelat.

In vino veritas.... and caffeine helps the next morning....

Supporter ♡

#7: Post by caffeineme (original poster) »

mallen4248 wrote:I have the Barista Space version. I think it is an exact duplicate of the ECM at a cheaper price. I really like it MUCH better than my Cafelat.
Hi Mike,

Thank you for sharing!

Hmmm... I was also considering the Decent PF stand to weigh while grinding. With the Barista space version, I should be able to do both, i.e. stand and tamp station. Noticed that the Barista space one is hollow in the middle, so that doesn't negate the coffee grind issue.

Just curious, do you know how heavy the Barista space version is? Also, how tall is it? TIA.

JayBeck

#8: Post by JayBeck »

I owned the ECM and now the Decent. The Decent is far superior because it holds your tamper and has storage below for your funnel and WDT stirring tool.

arcus

#9: Post by arcus »

The problem I see with the Decent (which is the same problem I currently have) is that it's a bit messy. I'm trying to minimize mess so I'd rather a cradle/stand that catches all the grinds.

Davidm

#10: Post by Davidm »

You may want to consider using a funnel so that grinds don't go everywhere. I wdt with the funnel in place and also tap the portafilter down on the decent stand (once again with funnel in place) to settle grinds before tamping.

To me mess is missing grinds in the basket and I want none of that.