Decent Tamper vs 5 Star Pro vs New Levy, etc

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
Valo_Soul

Postby Valo_Soul » May 12, 2019, 6:02 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm having an awful time making up my mind on the "ideal for me" tamper. I know only I can really say that, but I'm just hoping for some input from other users of any of the popular, well-made tampers of today.

I love the idea of a levelling tamper like the Decent Tamper V2 or the 5 Star pro. My reservations there are mainly with the looks of the Decent (I'd much prefer pure white, or hardwood of some kind), and the 5 Star Pro is a bit more expensive for me in Canada. Also, even though they have wooden handles for the 5 Star, I prefer something much lighter in color than their options.

The New Levy by SAI is absolutely gorgeous in Maple, in my opinion. I think it's stunning and would compliment my setup well. My only reservation with that one is that it is a palm tamper style, which I'm thinking might not be *as* reliably level every time. The other style essentially takes all guess work out each time, even when changing coffee types or dose size.

I'm so torn! Any feedback whatsoever (or other brand recommendations) are very very welcome.

maxbmello

Postby maxbmello » May 12, 2019, 6:58 pm

I have a LevTamp from Kafatek and can't imagine wanting/needing another tamper. Denis will customize wood options for you as well. Not the cheapest, but if you never feel the need to buy a new one again, will save money in the long run..

NoStream

Postby NoStream » May 12, 2019, 8:01 pm

I have a five star and a decent v2. Both are excellent, and I wouldn't use anything else (also have a push and a pergtamp - both fine.) I would recommend the decent most highly - very solid and cheaper. The five star has some give but works fine.

CwD

Postby CwD » May 12, 2019, 8:10 pm

IMO anything that limits tamping pressure with a spring is problematic. I want full compression of coffee, nothing less. Levtamp is great for that since I can use full force without a spring going off. The Force tamp seems interesting too, with a very high momentary force vs a lower continuous one.

Valo_Soul

Postby Valo_Soul » replying to CwD » May 12, 2019, 8:14 pm

Thank you to everyone for the input so far. Decent claims that their spring is equivalent to 25lbs of pressure, which "in their research" has proven to be absolutely all that is needed to compact a puck to max density. I'm not sure how true this is, however.

Valo_Soul

Postby Valo_Soul » May 12, 2019, 10:08 pm

Pulled the trigger on the Decent V2 Tamper... I plan to attempt to make it white or some other color if I can manage it without making it look bad haha. Any suggestions on how to go about it? (besides dipping it in white paint).

mallen4248

Postby mallen4248 » May 12, 2019, 11:12 pm

I have a Decent V2 tamper and a Bravo Tamper. I MUCH prefer my Bravo tamper over the Decent. The Bravo is an Order of magnitude of better build than the Decent. While both are good, there is no comparison in build quality of the Bravo over the Decent.
In vino veritas.... and caffeine helps the next morning....

mivanitsky

Postby mivanitsky » May 12, 2019, 11:28 pm

I have EZTamp and LevTamp. They both work very well. I tamp to full compaction of coffee, and it is easier to feel this point with the LevTamp. Usually this is a lot less than 25#. I have the light springs installed in my tamper, and that's enough. Both are very well made, but the action is much smoother on the LevTamp.

gunda

Postby gunda » May 13, 2019, 9:13 am

Valo_Soul wrote:Thank you to everyone for the input so far. Decent claims that their spring is equivalent to 25lbs of pressure, which "in their research" has proven to be absolutely all that is needed to compact a puck to max density. I'm not sure how true this is, however.

Some of their documentation / promotional material is unclear on this point, IMHO. The V1 Decent tamper has a calibrated spring as you note, but it is not a leveling tamper. The V2 Decent tamper is a leveling tamper, but its spring is not pressure calibrated. There has been some discussion on the Decent Diaspora recently of why this is. John Buckman claims that, contrary to some of the views expressed in this thread, recent research shows that tamp pressure beyond 10lbs makes no difference to the shot, unless perhaps you try a Herculean tamp of tons of pressure. According to the research he quotes, leveling is the key variable, hence the V2.

Valo_Soul

Postby Valo_Soul » replying to gunda » May 13, 2019, 4:05 pm

Interesting... I did not know the spring in the V2 was different. So I'm assuming it's *at least* 10lbs of pressure, and there shouldn't be any problems in that area (ie not fully compacting the grounds if slightly under-dosing a VST 18g basket, for instance).