Decent Tamper v3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
joe mendez

#1: Post by joe mendez »

I recently placed an order for a DE1+Pro and will be needing a Tamper to use. Has anyone used the Decent Tamper v3 and there overall thoughts or any other recommendations. I would like one that levels and prevents for over tamping, in other words the tamping is fixed.

gunda

#2: Post by gunda »

My understanding is that the Decent tamper V3 is just the V2 with a weaker spring, which as the owner of a V2 I consider to be a good thing. The Decent V2 tamper is not a pressure calibrated tamper, the spring is just to ensure that it stays level, and the V2 spring was way stronger than it needed to be to ensure that. The idea behind the V2 and V2 was that beyond 10lb, tamping pressure doesn't make any noticeable difference, you just need to be over 10lb. There was some research that John Buckman quoted to demonstrate this.

If you want a calibrated and leveling tamper then you want The Force tamper.

joe mendez

#3: Post by joe mendez » replying to gunda »

Ok thank you. I will take a look at the force tamper. Would something like this also work?

https://www.amazon.com/Distributor-leve ... NrPXRydWU=

gunda

#4: Post by gunda »

joe mendez wrote: Ok thank you. I will take a look at the force tamper. Would something like this also work?

https://www.amazon.com/Distributor-leve ... NrPXRydWU=
I have no personal experience of using a distribution tool as a tamper. I have read reports of those who do. Supposedly it's possible provided the tool is adjustable. I don't get the sense that it's a common approach.

The other option for a calibrated and leveling tamper is the Bravo:
Bravo Tamper

I haven't bothered with either the Force or the Bravo as the Decent V2 works well enough for me, and should be easier to use when I get my hands on a V3 spring for it.

Eklektik

#5: Post by Eklektik »

I can recommend the Bravo Tamper as well. Hefty made and you can regulate the force you want. It's a beast

joe mendez

#6: Post by joe mendez »

gunda wrote:My understanding is that the Decent tamper V3 is just the V2 with a weaker spring, which as the owner of a V2 I consider to be a good thing. The Decent V2 tamper is not a pressure calibrated tamper, the spring is just to ensure that it stays level, and the V2 spring was way stronger than it needed to be to ensure that. The idea behind the V2 and V2 was that beyond 10lb, tamping pressure doesn't make any noticeable difference, you just need to be over 10lb. There was some research that John Buckman quoted to demonstrate this.

If you want a calibrated and leveling tamper then you want The Force tamper.

With the Force Tamper the tamp is calibrated and does it also distribute and level ?

gunda

#7: Post by gunda »

joe mendez wrote: With the Force Tamper the tamp is calibrated and does it also distribute and level ?
As previously indicated, I don't have either The Force or the Bravo, so this question may better be answered by someone who does. I don't think that anything that is branded as a tamper does distribution, although an adjustable distribution tool is used by some as a tamper of sorts. The Force is calibrated and levels, and I believe that so does the Bravo. My understanding is that neither does distribution.

realbrotherjay
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by realbrotherjay »

There are numerous bases available for the Force Tamper, and among them are several that have a leveling tool of sorts built in. It's a little fin that extends from the center of the base along its diameter when you lower but don't fully compress the spring. Thus you can do some sort of distribution by lowering the tamper handle partially and spinning it, then fully compress it to tamp. It's an interesting concept and I've seen some people sing its praises. The fin leaves a little mark along the diameter of the puck but supposedly this has no effect on extraction. I've never used it as mine came with the standard flat base and you have to reach out to the creator directly to get one afaik

N6GQ
Supporter

#9: Post by N6GQ »

The Force Tamper operates like a window punch, right? I was thinking the Bravo was more like the Decent tamper, a spring-backed leveling tamper. I may be wrong. But I know the Force Tamper is different than most in that you build force over the push and then it lets go at some prescribed rate instantaneously as opposed to a constant force exerted downward. The merits of that have been debated but they (I think?) are none the less different.
LMWDP #614

Jeff

#10: Post by Jeff »

<strike>Maybe I'm missing something, but I believe that the DE v2/3 tampers, ...</strike>

I was missing that the DE v2/v3 tampers apparently are no longer "force-indicating" as the design was changed after the v1 tamper. The videos are intermingled, making it important to watch closely to determine if the v1 or the v2/v3 units are being described.

The original DE (v1) tamper, the Bravo, and others like the Espro are all "calibrated" or, perhaps better described as "force-indicating" tampers that all work on the same basic principle. There's a pre-loaded, compression spring inside. When the force on the handle exceeds the preload, the spring compresses further, generally a small amount, and you feel the thunk or click as the handle hits the lower stop.

As I understand it, The Force Tamper is different. Despite its name, it is an impulse tamper. A spring gets compressed which then "fires" the tamper against the puck. The puck absorbs the energy, compressing as it does.