Decent Tamper v3 - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
dsc106

#31: Post by dsc106 »

Thank you again for the advice and info!

You mentioned the DE v3 prevents tipped axis tamping... I didn't know that. If so that is great. It doesn't seemed advertised to do such, just 15lbs of pressure. What am I missing?

Jeff
Team HB

#32: Post by Jeff »

https://decentespresso.com/tamper

From what I understand from the video featured on that page, as well as the "Decent tamper v3" video beneath, the v2 and v3 are square-to-basket tampers.

John (DE's CEO) is a perfectionist on design and execution, sometimes to extremes.

Ultrafiche

#33: Post by Ultrafiche »

I'm new to the HB scene and am looking to pick up a leveling tamper to improve the consistency of my puck prep (in combination with a PP700 and NZ).

They have a lot of different basket sizes, and I want to make sure I have the "essential" ones (knowing that none of this is really essential). I think the 18g and 20g should cover me for everything I want to do for the foreseeable future. What do people use the larger baskets (like the 22g) baskets for - are there any advantages that I'm not aware of?

Of course, if anyone has any updated thoughts on the Decent Tamper v3 since it's been out on the market for a little while longer now, I'd love to hear them. Also looked at the Bravo Tamper, but it's OOS on WLL and I like the fact that Decent has a convenient "system" you can buy into.

Jeff
Team HB

#34: Post by Jeff »

I don't buy into "systems" in general (Pullman, as specific to the topic) when everything is interchangeable. Pick what works for you, your technique, your hands. Many tools out there have been designed for production use (speed is of the essence) or barista competitions (for "technical points") and may not be optimal for our typical, comparatively leisurely home use.

John is a perfectionist and I have no doubt that the DE tampers have been designed and meet their objectives. DE's products seem to be focused on repeatable, in-cup quality, especially in low-volume settings.

The DE baskets are very good. From what I understand, there are two OEMs of "precision" baskets of note and that DE and VST use the same OEM. Basket sizes are dependent on taste, coffee, and era. I haven't used a "triple" for years, though, when overfilled do make pretty photos and videos. Baskets should probably be a different thread, but the ones I use most commonly are VST 15 and 18 and the EspressoParts "EPNW" HQ 14 (which is more like an 18).

Bravo tamper is available direct from Gilberto if his regional distributor is out of stock. One recent thread is The Bravo Tamper and Distributor

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#35: Post by PIXIllate »

Jeff wrote: EspressoParts "EPNW" HQ 14 (which is more like an an 18]
I'd love to try one of these as a lot of people have good things to say about them compared to the VST (which I currently own). Unfortunately the basket is $5 but shipping to Canada is $35. Does anyone know of a source in Canada or a better way to get one here?

Ultrafiche

#36: Post by Ultrafiche »

Jeff wrote:I don't buy into "systems" in general (Pullman, as specific to the topic) when everything is interchangeable. Pick what works for you, your technique, your hands. Many tools out there have been designed for production use (speed is of the essence) or barista competitions (for "technical points") and may not be optimal for our typical, comparatively leisurely home use.

John is a perfectionist and I have no doubt that the DE tampers have been designed and meet their objectives. DE's products seem to be focused on repeatable, in-cup quality, especially in low-volume settings.

The DE baskets are very good. From what I understand, there are two OEMs of "precision" baskets of note and that DE and VST use the same OEM. Basket sizes are dependent on taste, coffee, and era. I haven't used a "triple" for years, though, when overfilled do make pretty photos and videos. Baskets should probably be a different thread, but the ones I use most commonly are VST 15 and 18 and the EspressoParts "EPNW" HQ 14 (which is more like an 18).

Bravo tamper is available direct from Gilberto if his regional distributor is out of stock. One recent thread is The Bravo Tamper and Distributor
Thank you, Jeff! I appreciate the feedback and you sharing the info on the Bravo thread. I'll check it out as well!