Decent Espresso DE1+ will fit on my counter but go to the very front edge. Bad idea?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
tmchow

#1: Post by tmchow »

After looking at measurements of the Decent DE1+ and my 16" depth counter, I've come to conclusion the espresso machine will fit provided:
  • Remove the grip handle
  • Don't store the portafilter locked in place
  • Replace the standard power cord with the 90 degree angled one they provide as an accessory
With a machine depth of 14" plus 2" at the rear for power cord and just breathing room, it'll fit on my 16" deep counter.

People are saying the grip handle is unnecessary for torque to lock the portafilter in place, and the current owners have a raging debate on the benefit of a preheated portafilter with many saying it makes no difference.

Given this I'm comfortable with the above assumptions.

However I'm wondering if I'm making some mistake not having any working space up front. Right now I have barely any anyways and use the space between my grinder and breville.

Bad idea? Talk me out of This.

Some photos:

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

You should be OK, maybe even with a Skale.

You could also put everything, including a Skale, onto a 12" x 18" cutting board, from what I see of the nook. 9" or 10" wide would be enough but 12x18 is a standard size for the ones at restaurant supply houses.

Yes, 90° power cord will get you back an inch or so more. Good plan. They're "standard computer" power cables, C13, though you'd want one with high current rating. The supplied, straight one is 14 AWG. Right-angle one available through DE at $15.

There's a knob to lift the water tubes on the back of the machine, just around the right side as you face the front of the machine. It extends ~1/2" from the back panel. Unless you've got big fingers, 1" should be enough to access it.

I took off the group-head handle. I don't miss it at all. While that could reduce my costs for cannonfodder's wood, it will probably mean I just ask for wood that is twice as expensive :wink: Some have shortened the stock PF handle as well. There isn't a strong belief that there is a need to keep the PF handle in the group, so that should help a bit as well.

Measured from the back of the leg (not including space for the power cord or access to the water-tube lift), Skale 2 and Damian's printed tray in place. The stock drip-tray grate would directly on top of the black, rounded drop tray (ceramic). The water reservoir can be filled by sliding forward on the rails, without further removal.

Dimensions and 3-D models available at https://decentespresso.com/overview

Advertisement
decent_espresso
Sponsor

#3: Post by decent_espresso »

Jeff wrote: Some have shortened the stock PF handle as well. There isn't a strong belief that there is a need to keep the PF handle in the group, so that should help a bit as well.
The group head handle can also fit on the portafilter, which then reduces the length of the portafilter quite a bit. I've done that at trade shows where I've had machines crammed next to each other.

In other words, you take off the handle from the portafilter, take off the group head handle, and screw the group head handle into the portafilter head.

-john

tmchow (original poster)

#4: Post by tmchow (original poster) »

Update on this in case it's helpful for someone else in future with limited counter space.

My DE1Pro arrived!

With a right angle power connector at the back, I was able to push the machine a fair ways back and it fits perfectly on a 16" deep counter if you don't install the group head grip handle.

decent_espresso
Sponsor

#5: Post by decent_espresso »

tmchow wrote:Update on this in case it's helpful for someone else in future with limited counter space. My DE1Pro arrived! With a right angle power connector at the back, I was able to push the machine a fair ways back and it fits perfectly on a 16" deep counter if you don't install the group head grip handle.
Photo!

tmchow (original poster)

#6: Post by tmchow (original poster) replying to decent_espresso »

Oops. I didn't choose to place them in the post after I uploaded. Just corrected that

N6GQ

#7: Post by N6GQ »

Looks good, and now that DE supports Acaia scales you should be good there too. Personally, I use the Lunar on top of the drip tray rather than under it with a stand, and so in that set up you're golden.
LMWDP #614

Advertisement
tmchow (original poster)

#8: Post by tmchow (original poster) replying to N6GQ »

Yeah I'm using the lunar with the latest app which added support. I don't love the cleanup per se but it works. I have ordered the née "Decent scale" as it's more compact with intention of getting Sheldon's custom tray made so the scale is out of the way and able to sit further in CJ alter to the Skale 2.