Decent Espresso Canadian user

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Petrus

#1: Post by Petrus »

Any Canadian got a Decent Espresso Machine?

It's being shipped from Hong Kong. What was the import tax/custom like?

thanks

Incognito007

#2: Post by Incognito007 »

According to this, you have to pay about $1000 in tax if you live in Ontario, which sucks. 9% duty and 13% tax. I hope I'm wrong and it is less, but that appears to be the case.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voya ... l-eng.html

Incognito007

#3: Post by Incognito007 »

After tinkering with the decent site it seems the machine has a declared value of $500 therefore the duties and tax are less. :lol:

DaveWCII

#4: Post by DaveWCII »

From the site:

"VAT and import duty are charged on the espresso machine hardware, which has a declared value of: US $500. The espresso machine software is sent to you over the Internet and is not part of this shipment. Depending on your country's tax laws, you may need to self-declare VAT to your government for having downloaded the espresso machine software."

So when you receive the machine the declared value is $500. On the Decent website, the software is listed as $5,000+ Cdn value and delivered over the net.The machine is shipped from Hong Kong.

Petrus (original poster)

#5: Post by Petrus (original poster) »

i realize that....
but DE website clearly states that the machine is >$4000.
I was wondering if custom buys the declared value of $500. That's why I asked if the canadian DE owners had any issue with custom....

Although I think it's very clever for DE to separate hardware and software value....

JayBeck

#6: Post by JayBeck replying to Petrus »

They have declared the $500 hardware value and the delta being software value since v1.0. The secret sauce is not the hardware, which consists of a lot of off the shelf parts. The secret sauce is in the software and firmware which includes the controllers for the thermocoil and water mixing technology, the physics models, etc.

bach

#7: Post by bach »

Anyone got actual experience importing it into Canada and how much duty was paid?

Bach

webuild4life

#8: Post by webuild4life »

Incognito007 wrote:
They also charge a few hundred bucks for shipping which is pretty lame. For a product of this price shipping should be free.
You know they'd just raise the price of the machine $300 and say "free shipping!" You pay for shipping no matter what you buy.

Incognito007

#9: Post by Incognito007 »

True. I guess I'm just not used to buying something this pricey. My perspective has shifted at this point. Just excited to receive it in a few months.

cunim

#10: Post by cunim »

bach wrote:Anyone got actual experience importing it into Canada and how much duty was paid?

Bach
Yep. No problems with the $500 value.