Decent Espresso 1.3/4 vs. La Marzocco Linea Mini - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
joe mendez

#11: Post by joe mendez »

Dpablo wrote:As a Decent owner, I think it's absurd to say you must jump through hoops to make a shot. To make a shot on the Decent, you can stick with the default profile and just press a button. The fact that you have the unlimited ability to tinker doesn't mean every nook and cranny need be explored. While I would gladly invite a Linea Mini into my home, there's no way it would function better at its intended purpose - to make espresso - than a DE1.3.
Your post gives me ease of mind in my purchasing decision. I recently ordered a DE1+Pro and I choose it for several reasons, one of which is the ability to just choose a profile and press a button. I understand the machine is capable of much more but as I learn, I can tinker or not, to my liking.

acg
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by acg »

Indeed you can use the DE1 as a traditional machine by sticking to a favorite profile. The advantage is that you can do more when needed.

Advertisement
Mountain

#13: Post by Mountain replying to acg »

BUT, it is like the old Lays potato chip commercial, "Bet you can't eat just one!"

Eklektik

#14: Post by Eklektik »

Personally I think that servicing and longevity is a big factor here. I'm not so sure about all the amount of tech in the DE and the ease self servicing of said tech.

arcus

#15: Post by arcus »

IMO, the Decent and LMLM are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. I chose the LMLM for the reasons previously mentioned but I've also read a lot about the Decent and admire how they are pushing the technology forward and how open they are about everything.

If I really wanted all that functionality, I would have no concerns buying one as they have a dedicated user base and enough popularity now that I don't see any risk in buying one.

Thermosiphon

#16: Post by Thermosiphon »

It all comes down to how often you drink milk drinks. Having owned a LMLM in the past, I was blown away by the shot quality. And for all dark and medium to medium-light roasts (90+% of what I drink), I'm willing to bet the shots can't be beaten in a blind taste test. If you drink Scandinavian barely-first-crack espresso you may prefer the Decent.

I will add that if you like to add steamed milk to your drink at any point in the process, this is where the LMLM will shine. Also, if you want to be able to have your machine serviced in your home country, the La Marzocco would also be preferable.

I would take a Linea Mini (especially the new version) in a heartbeat over the Decent, but you can't go wrong either way.
Cheers,
Bill

N6GQ

#17: Post by N6GQ »

Thermosiphon wrote: I will add that if you like to add steamed milk to your drink at any point in the process, this is where the LMLM will shine. Also, if you want to be able to have your machine serviced in your home country, the La Marzocco would also be preferable.
That was the case up until a few weeks ago (DE having weaker steam). As of the newest firmware, steaming is now every bit as potent as any machine, more potent than most. I had to turn it down a touch from the "default" as it was a bit much actually (significantly more than my LR). The other advantage being that DE steam is more dry, and configurable in its moisture content.

I would also add the paradigm of repair on the DE is either home/self repair, or shipping it to the DE support folks, either in NY or CA/WA, not sure which. Since the DE is MUCH lighter than any boiler machine, this ends up being less of a big deal methinks.
LMWDP #614

Advertisement
Dpablo

#18: Post by Dpablo replying to N6GQ »

Don't forget they gave us a suitcase to send it in, making everything that much more secure.

Speaking of steam, I bought the three hole tip to improve my steam and was deeply disappointed until the firmware update. Steaming is now comparable to the double boiler machine I once owned, but it's actually stronger and drier. Altogether, my favorite part of the Decent experience has been adjusting brew parameters as my beans age - I'm noticing older beans do a lot better with gentler pressure and flow profiles. Once upon a time, I'd give up on a bag of beans a week and a half post roast. Now, I'm still enjoying those beans three to four weeks later.

Iowa_Boy

#19: Post by Iowa_Boy »

Speaking of steam, I know LMLM leads on steam power and speed, and DE is hotter/drier, but does either translate into an advantage for ability to make microfoam for better latte art? Reading about the hotter steam on the DE, it sounds like this can improve the sweetness of milk based drinks. Curious if that also helps with latte art or if both machines are equally capable of that.

Jeff
Team HB

#20: Post by Jeff »

I would say that, in the hands of a skilled barista, both are equally competent for drink-at-a-time production. The DE1 is, perhaps, easier for a non-professional to control.